Libraries - Feature Article

Challenges Libraries Face
by Samantha Bise, Library Resources Intern - StageofLife.com

Challenges Libraries Face - Feature Article on StageofLife.com

Some are saying that libraries and librarians are no longer a necessity in the world of information and knowledge, while others are saying they are more necessary now than ever. It’s a source of disagreement among communities, but one thing is unarguable: libraries are facing challenges and changes recently. Budget cuts, the digital age, and growing demands of librarians are creating challenges, but libraries are pushing through these hard times and adapting.

Budget Cuts

Arguably, the greatest challenge that American libraries are currently facing are financial issues. The budget cuts in higher education affect academic libraries, and recent government budget cuts affect public libraries. This directly impacts the services libraries are able to offer, but librarians and other library staff are trying to do the best with what they have.

These cutbacks have forced some libraries to cut back their hours, lay off staff, creatively budget, and in some cases, close their doors entirely. Some libraries are raising money on their own within their communities. The first step most libraries take to save money is to stop purchasing new materials—books, DVDs, and CDs—for the time being. In 2010, the American Library Association reported that libraries in 45 states and the District of Columbia have been struggling with the recent taxes and troubled housing market.

Libraries still serve as a focal point within a community, and many people are fighting to keep libraries an important part of society as we know it. “Closing a library in a recession is like closing a hospital during the plague.” When people are suffering financially, they are more apt to go to their local library for free books, movies, Internet access, and other materials. People are reported to go to the library to apply for jobs online, which seems like a small step, but it is vital to improve the economical issues.

In attempt to keep the library up and running, some public libraries are offering additional services. Most libraries offer tech. services, like computers. Some have started offering passport processing to bring in more annual revenue.

Most libraries are striving to simply maintain their collections and to avoid having to make any drastic cutbacks. Brian Downing, president of Library Ideas, said “Libraries have to buy DVDs, they have to get them into their inventory and on the shelf, and then they have to have the labor to manage the transactions. Any activity at the library costs money.”

Academic libraries are mostly linked to state budgets and grant funding. They are facing challenges, because the price of scholarly journals are inflating, but scholarly journals and access to databases are necessary for students and professionals conducting research. A lot of academic libraries are in the transitions of going digital to conform to the needs of the 21st century academic world, and this, unfortunately, is not a free process.

Maintaining a library costs money—purchasing materials, maintaining collections, allowing patrons to access material, etc. Libraries nationwide are doing their best during this time of struggle to keep the library alive for the community. Access to information is symbolic of freedom. People should have free availability to information, no matter what the country’s financial situation is. Libraries, as an information-based institution, have a duty to fulfill to communities.

The Digital Age

Ruth A Wooden says in her article The Future of Public Libraries in an Internet Age, “The feeling that libraries are central to healthy communities is even more common among those who are most actively engaged in communities: the voters, volunteers, and contributors who make communities strong and can usually be counted on to raise a ruckus when things go wrong.”

A fear that many have is that technological advancements will replace libraries and librarians. We are currently experiencing a transition to a more digitally literate world. New information/communication-based technology has allowed students, scholars, professionals, and the general public to conduct research from the comfort of their own homes; some people take advantage of this luxury, but they do not realize that libraries have access to resources that can take you deep below the surface of any topic. Libraries have databases, books from throughout times, and research librarians. These things cannot be accessed through a simple Google search.

The Librarian Revolution

Books are not the only aspect of librarianship, like some people seem to think. It is easy to assume that the only responsibility of librarians is to check out books to patrons, because this is the only part of their job that the general public witnesses.

A librarian’s job is to connect people and information. They choose the material available in their library, organize it, help patrons access it, and maintain their collections. These same basic duties are still present in the job description of a librarian, but they are evolving.

Librarians must adapt to the needs of their patrons and the public. The general public contains people with varying demands. Students, scholars, professionals, and other community members are constantly demanding information in multiple formats. Librarians are responsible for making these formats—books, websites, databases, etc.—easily accessible for all patrons. Some people are under the impression that librarians have been replaced by computers, but there is more to research than a Google search. There is an enormous amount of information that can be found in formats only available to those willing to purchase—i.e. libraries.

A search on the worldwide web can bring up hundreds of millions of results. Librarians are trained to narrow down the results and stay up-to-date with evolving electronic resources. Librarians are not library-based professionals; they are information-based professionals, so they are also responsible for networking with other information professionals and institutions.

With access to information, comes liability. Written word, whether it is on paper or digital, must be cited. Librarians must choose what databases to purchase and are accountable for copyrights.

Librarians must be extremely computer literate. They maintain a strong web presence by creating a user-friendly library web page with available resource links. They also manage databases and other electronic resources.

The library as a physical place still plays an important role within a community, but the role of the librarian and how they link patrons to information is undergoing a change. Librarians are lifelong learners, on a quest to aid other lifelong learners.

END

View all Free Educational Resources on StageofLife.com
View all Library Resources on StageofLife.com

Works Consulted for this Article:
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2010/10/03/Public-Libraries-Face-Economic-Challenges.aspx#page1
http://www.ncl.org/publications/ncr/95-4/0107libraries.pdf
http://careers.guardian.co.uk/job-of-21st-century-librarian
http://www.ifla.org/publications/the-role-of-libraries-in-lifelong-learning
http://www.slideshare.net/plaistrlc/the-role-of-librarians-in-the-21st-century

We encourage you to walk into your local library, take advantage of their free services, and share your experience here on StageofLife.com...

Share your library experience on StageofLife.com

Literacy Partnership - Libraries

Library Resources

Library Resources on StageofLife.com

As a free educational literacy initiative, StageofLife.com features information, recommendations, and resources about libraries below.  From blogs about libraries to the challenges and opportunities facing libraries today, you'll want to explore the below information, but more importantly, visit your local library and share your experience here on StageofLife.com.

Educational Resources and Free Lesson Plans

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • StageofLife.com once hosted the world's largest international writing contest for high school students and college students.  Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics dealt with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Participating Authors who work with Stage of Life on our Student Writing Contests

Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

National author support for StageofLife.com 

Participating Authors

• Question:  What do internationally published authors Susannah Cahalan, Richard Louv, Kimberly Rae Miller, Elyn Saks, and Andrew Soloman all have in common?
  • Answer:  They've all collaborated with StageofLife.com to support our grassroots international writing community.

Explore the dozens of published authors that have worked with us.  We're proud of the support these literary greats have put in the digital literacy mission of StageofLife.com...

View Participating Authors
  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens or would like to donate a signed copy of their book.

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises
  Contact Us if you have a lesson plan to suggest from Stage of Life's content

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Get "Writer" Classroom Poster - OUT OF STOCK

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping and handling fee
  • We've sent out over 1000 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 800,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!