Writing Resources

Creative Writing workshops, seminars and summer camps for students

Outside of sharing your essays and stories via your StageofLife.com blog, if you are interested in writing and want some hands-on instruction, we compiled a list of fantastic writing resources for you to explore in your home state.  See below.

And before you register for any writing conference or workshop, check out these tips one of our writing interns learned from attending a Writing Conference.

Please contact us with any suggestions to add. Have fun writing!

Writing resourcesAlabama

Ada Long Creative Writing Workshop, Birmingham: Up to 30 students participate in this three week program designed for personal enrichment. This program prepares you for a college-based creative writing work, and introduces you to the creative writing field.

Creative Writing Camp, Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama MFA students lead this club for high school students. From the website: “The camp will feature writing workshops in fiction, poetry, and non-fiction; small groups with experienced teachers from CWC’s spring after-school program; written and verbal feedback on student writing; readings by local writers; and electives on a variety of writing-related topics.” You also participate a public reading on the last day of camp, and publish a student anthology.

Writing resourcesAlaska

Write Young Alaska, Anchorage & Fairbanks: This program sponsors seasonal classes and meetings, writing contests, and publication opportunities. These workshops cover writing genres like memoir, screenwriting, and humor writing, among many other topics.

Sitka Fine Arts Camp, Sitka: You get the opportunity to work closely with professionals in your area of interest (in this case, creative writing) for two weeks. You are also invited to explore other areas of interest, like dance or music.

Writing resourcesArizona

Young Writers’ Program, Phoenix: Students from ASU’s Creative Writing program lead these workshops for teens and kids. You get the chance to explore different genres of writing, and have their work published in an anthology called 22 Across.

Young Writers’ Academy, Avondale, Tuscon, Litchfield Park, & Oro Valley: You can choose from several different workshop classes, including playwriting, rewriting classics, journalism, and short story writing.

Writing resourcesArkansas

The Teen Scene, Rogers: Teens writers gather at the library for the first Tuesday of every month. You can workshop you stories and poems, and create new pieces to work with at every meeting.

Arkansas Literary Festival, Little Rock: In addition to hosting several writing contests that teens are more than welcome to enter, the Literary Festival also sponsors different events and workshops that you and your parents can participate in.

Writing resourcesCalifornia

Writopia Lab, Los Angeles: You are invited to improve your work across several different genres. You can also submit your work for publication, and can read your work aloud during public readings.

Idyllwild Arts, Idyllwild: You have a choice between a fiction workshop and poetry workshop. The goals of this camp include developing your own, strong writing voice, and developing a deeper love for the written word.

Writing resourcesColorado

Explorati Teen Writers Boot Camp, Fort Collins: You can pick from three tracks: fiction, screenwriting, or playwriting; you can also choose to stay either one week or two weeks. You get the chance to write the play that is produced at the camp every summer; all endeavors at the camp are entirely teen driven and produced.

Creative Writing Solutions, Boulder: You get to choose from a variety of writing clubs in the Boulder area. Examples include fantasy writing, publishing, and advanced writing techniques. The website also offers writing prompts.

Writing resourcesConnecticut

Kent School Summer Writers Camp, Kent: You get the chance to have a boarding school experience, while learning about creative writing.

Westport Writers’ Workshop, East Westport: You participate in focused workshops led by professional and published writers. Topics include fiction, poetry, blogging, and college essays.

Writing resourcesDelaware

Creative Writing Center of Delaware, Georgetown: A center dedicated entirely to spreading the love of creative writing, and having writers—teens and adults—improve their craft. You will have the opportunity to work with experienced writers, and with each other.

Rehoboth Beach Writers’ Guild, Rehoboth Beach: You can both participate in workshops, and enter the yearly writing contest. Classes include novel writing, memoir writing, and fiction writing.

Writing resourcesFlorida

Creative Writing for Teens, Orlando: A summer camp that explores the basic elements of creative writing. Topics include fiction and poetry.

Your Word, New Smyrna Beach: You can participate in this intensive, 12-day “writer-in-residence” program. You will receive direction in three different genres, from published and professional writers.

Writing resourcesGeorgia

Blue Tree, Atlanta: An all-girls creative writing experience. You will learn about form, style, and critical mechanics—and get the chance to meet other aspiring teen writers.

Margaret Mitchell House, Atlanta: You can participate in small-sized workshops, where you have the chance to polish and improve your writing. You may also go on field trips, depending on the type of workshop that you are doing.

Writing resourcesHawaii

Youth Speaks Hawaii, Honolulu: Here, you learn about the writing and performance of slam poetry. YHS offers writing workshops, monthly poetry slam events, and other special events.

Poetry Out Loud Competition, Honolulu: You are invited to participate in this nationwide competition, which begins right in the classroom; teens write and perform their own poetry, and compete to win first place. In addition to the competition, the Honolulu Youth Theater also offers writing workshops.

Writing resourcesIdaho

The Cabin, Boise: You have the opportunity to engage in “creative writing adventures.” You work in daily workshops and review sessions; best of all, all of your hard work culminates in the chance of becoming a published author.

The Young Authors’ Conference, St. Anthony: You get the chance to meet with famous young adult authors like Jerry Spinelli and Terry Trueman. After the author speaks, you participate in three writing workshops with the author, and other professional writers.

Writing resourcesIllinois

Young Writers’ Workshop, Carbondale: You participate in a five day program complete with workshops, daily writing classes, readings by both fellow teen writers and faculty, and panels on writing topics.

Young Chicago Authors, Chicago: Over 2,500 teens participate in public readings, performances, and workshops per year. Student writing is regularly collected, and then published in a magazine at the end of each trimester.

Writing resourcesIndiana

Indiana Young Writers, Indianapolis: You can participate in after-school writing workshops, the “visiting scholar series,” and many other programs designed for teen writers. You get the chance to meet with professionally published authors, and have your work published too.

Creative Writing Camp, Indianapolis: You spend four days during the summer, in one or two sessions, learning how to write in different genres (ranging from fiction to poetry to journalism to advertising). You participate in workshops under many professional authors, and writing staff at Butler University.

Writing resourcesIowa

Iowa Young Writers’ Studio, Iowa City: You spend two weeks intensively focusing on honing your craft. Between writing exercises, you also get the opportunity to socialize, and participate in other miscellaneous recreational activities.

The Iowa Youth Writing Project, Iowa City: You develop your creative writing skills in different workshops offered during the year. Topics include fiction and poetry.

Writing resourcesKansas

Kansas City Writers Critique Camp, Kansas City: You spend three days over the summer critiquing your own work, and other writers’ works. You also have the opportunity to create new pieces of writing under the direction of camp leaders.

Teen Writers’ Group, Basehor: You join other teen writers to write together, and share your pieces together (though sharing is not required).

Writing resourcesKentucky

Young Writers Connection, all state: Teens join together to strength the arts programs in the state of Kentucky, through events like “Arts in the Parks”, regular workshops, and other special events.

Women Writing for Change, Louisville: Teen girls join together in the bonds of sisterhood, and a love for the written word. Each class begins by passing a candle, for women to reflect and center themselves before beginning writing activities planned for the day.

Writing resourcesLouisiana

Young Writers’ Conference, Natchitoches: You can choose to sit in two out of three workshop sessions: fiction, non-fiction, or poetry. You can also compete for prizes in either Best Original Poem or Best Original Story.

Live and Learn, Marrero: This arts club offers classes in art, music, and creative writing. You can also bring in books for the consignment shop to sell; every time they sell one of your books, you make 50% profit!

Writing resourcesMaine

The Telling Room, Portland: Teens gather to create and form stories, and learn the art of telling a story. Past projects and programs have ranged from simple workshops to roaming Portland for interesting characters to mapping out a fantasy world.

Southern Maine Writing Project, Litchfield & Topsham: You will explore different genres of writing, develop your writing under the direction of experienced writers, and publish one of your pieces of work. At the end of the camp, you receive an anthology of each student’s work.

Writing resourcesMaryland

Maryland Writing Project, Towson & Walkersville: Teens gather over their love of writing, and their love of sharing their writing. You participate in both a writing workshop and a “get to know you” workshop, so you will feel more comfortable sharing your works with others.

Poetry in Notions Performance Poetry Program, Hyattsville: You spend three weeks studying poetry, spoken word poetry, and how to perform slam poetry. This experience culminates in a public slam poetry session for all campers.

Writing resourcesMassachusetts

Blue Tree, Northampton: An all-girls teen creative writing experience. You learn about form, style, and critical mechanics—and get the chance to meet other aspiring teen writers.

Juniper Institute for Young Writers, Amherst: You spend your days writing in workshops, studio courses, and other writing-oriented activities. You also get free time for reflection, relaxation, and free writing.

Writing resourcesMichigan

Interlochen, Interlochen: You focus for four hours a day, receiving instruction on how to improve your writing. Additionally, you get ample time to focus on developing and editing your work. You can choose to focus on two out of the three genres: fiction, poetry, and playwriting.

Creative Writing for Teens, Canton: You can participate in both virtual and physical writing seminars. Assignments to improve your ideas and writing are posted online; you can submit your writing in person, during group meetings, or online. There is a message board so you can get to know the other participants better.

Writing resourcesMinnesota

The Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis: You participate in specialized classes, such as a “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows writing workshop.” The goals of these classes are to strengthen your craft, and have you focus your writing voice.

Intermedia Arts, Minneapolis: A place for teen writers to come together, write, socialize, and network. You workshop your pieces for constructive feedback, and participate in public readings.

Writing resourcesMississippi

University of Mississippi Writers’ Project, Oxford Depot: Workshops regularly change. This upcoming workshop has teens focusing on how to write the perfect college application essay.

Starkville Public Library Teen Film Club, Starkville: You join other teens to write films, make films, and socialize. You may also participate in other teen-based library programs, like book clubs.

Writing resourcesMissouri

St. Louis Writers’ Guild, St. Louis: You are invited to participate in a variety of writing contests and workshops hosted by the SLWG. The website also hosts a variety of writing resources for teen writers.

Creative Writing Institute, St. Louis: You spend almost three weeks working with other young writers on exciting projects involving fiction writing, poetry, and non-fiction writing. You can participate in public readings, and you are taught under the direction of the creative writing staff at Washington University.

Writing resourcesMontana

Mad Muse Writing Studio, Helena: You enter a safe and supportive environment where you should feel free to speak and write about whatever you are feeling. You are seen as an emerging writer who is nurtured to develop your unique writing voice, share your work, and gain confidence in yourself as a person and as a writer.

Teen Writers’ Group, Helena: You are invited to share any piece of writing you have been working on. You also get time to write.

Writing resourcesNebraska

Teen Writers’ Groups, Auburn, Bothell, Lake Forest Park, Maple Valley, & Sammamish: You share your stories or poems and talk about writing with other teen writers. You can bring your work to read aloud, or pass it around to get written feedback.

Teen Writers’ Group, Omaha: You receive feedback on your writing, and learn different ways to improve your writing. You can also collaborate on an online literary magazine where your work can be published.

Writing resourcesNevada

Tangled Roots Writing, Lake Tahoe: You can connect with other teens who love to write, generate new material, and play with language and meaning. You give and receive feedback on various works in different genres.

Young Writers’ Contest, Nevada County: A short story writing contest for teens. Winning submissions may be published online or in a future anthology.

Writing resourcesNew Hampshire

New Hampshire Young Writers’ Conference, Henniker: You spend the day in workshops and working with creative writing faculty—and other professional and published writers. Both teen writers and professional writers give readings.

Open Mic Nights, Goffstown: You read your short stories or poetry aloud to an audience of teen writers. You also get the chance to socialize, relax, and chat with other writing-enthused teens.

Writing resourcesNew Jersey

Centenary Summer Scholars, Hackettstown: You not only learn valuable creative writing skills, but you also get the chance to learn writing techniques that will help you with homework and college essays. You will thrive in a workshop environment, developing your own writing style and voice.

Appel Farm Arts Camp, Elmer: You have a choice between “majoring” in creative writing and journalism, and “minoring” in memoir writing and fashion journalism. You also get the chance to be published in the Appel Farm newsletter, or participate in poetry slams.

Writing resourcesNew Mexico

Young Writers’ Workshops, Simsbury: You participate in pre-writing exercises, writing activities, workshops, and informal discussions.

Blended Zine, Farmington: Blended is a teen-driven literature and arts magazine. You can both work on producing the magazine, and submit work to be published for the magazine.

Writing resourcesNew York

Writopia Lab, Manhattan, Brooklyn, & Westchester: You are instructed to complete weekly projects based on the selected genre of the week: humor, realistic fiction, science fiction, fantasy, memoir, poetry, scripts, or journalism. You meet daily after school.

East Line Books, Clifton Park: Experienced writers will teach you how to write in various genres. The library also sponsors public readings for teens to share their creations, and to receive constructive feedback.

Writing resourcesNorth Carolina

Young Authors’ Project, Chadbourne: Teens collaborate on a project titled “The Treasure of North Carolina”: treasured memories, treasured places, natural treasures, etc. You are encouraged to write poetry, fiction, non-fiction, etc. about any sort of treasure in your home state.

Teen Writers’ Workshop, Raleigh: You choose two courses: fiction, non-fiction, poetry and playwriting. You are invited to develop your own style of writing, in order to encourage maximum creativity.

Writing resourcesNorth Dakota

North Dakota Young Writers’ Project, all state: You are invited to submit a piece of creative writing based on your age group. Each project focuses on living in North Dakota.

The Group That Opened the Box, Bismarck: From the website: “Truth telling teens—changing the world, one gutsy poem at a time.” Teens participate in slam poetry sessions.

Writing resourcesOhio

The Kenyon Review, Gambier: Sponsored by the popular Kenyon Review, you take two weeks to develop your own critical and creative relationship with language. You meet for five hours each day, and practice many different workshop techniques.

Antioch Writers’ Workshop, Antioch: You spend a week in morning writing classes, and afternoon workshop seminars.

Writing resourcesOklahoma

Oklahoma Young Writers, Oklahoma City: You participate in group performances, writing contests, poetry workshops, fiction workshops, songwriting workshops, and screenwriting workshops. From the website: “Bring 2 poems. Or no poems. Bring you.”

Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute, Norman: You spend two weeks in intensive study in any field of your choice (in this case, creative writing). You work closely with professional authors, and learn to develop your writing voice.

Writing resourcesOregon

Fir Acres Workshop, Portland: You spend two weeks living and communicating with other teen writers. You get the chance to experiment with many different forms of creative writing.

Critical Angst, Newberg: You spend once a month with other teen writers—to write, to workshop, and to socialize.

Writing resourcesPennsylvania

Blue Tree, Byrn Mawr: An all-girls teen creative writing experience. You learn about form, style, and critical mechanics—and get the chance to meet other aspiring teen writers.

Write From the Heart, Lancaster: You are invited to participate in this fun, stress-free workshop. You are encouraged to open yourself to the written word, and be able to receive and give constructive feedback.

Writing resourcesRhode Island

Young Writers’ Camp, Providence: A summer camp where you learn to better develop your writing, and find confidence in your writing voice.

VSA Arts of Rhode Island, Pawtucket: Teens with disabilities have the chance to engage in creative writing workshops held at locations most convenient to them. Two current workshops include the “Call for Writing” and “Playwright Discovery.”

Writing resourcesSouth Carolina

Shared Worlds, Spartanburg: You create fantasy worlds called “shared worlds” with other teen writers. Then, you will elaborate on those shared worlds through fiction writing, art, and/or game design. You get the chance to work with professors and leaders in the speculative fiction genre.

South Carolina Writers’ Association, Across the state: You have the chance to interact with other teenage and adult writers. Meetings vary per chapter—but each meeting features writing time and workshops.

Writing resourcesSouth Dakota

Creative Writing for Teens, Sturgis: The first meeting of the fall season will be August 31. You join other teens to discuss the craft of creative writing, and participate in workshops.

South Dakota Festival of Books, Deadwood: An entire weekend dedicated to the love of reading and writings. You are welcome to join in on many of the offered workshops and special events.

Writing resourcesTennessee

River City Scribes, Memphis: This group is for teens looking to develop confidence in their writing, and a stronger writing voice. You will examine contemporary poetry to discuss and compare. You can also participate in camps, writing contests, and public readings.

A Novel Idea, Nashville: You write your own novel during this 30 day summer program. Directed by a self-published author (who wrote her first novel at 15), you will discover the fun and ease of writing a novel—and come out of the class with a paperback version of your very own book!

Writing resourcesTexas

Badgerdog, Austin: You spend three weeks under the direction of Austin’s best published writers: novelists, poets, playwrights, and essayists. You spend the camp writing, editing, and reviewing your work for publication in an anthology. You will receive a copy of your and your fellow campmates’ work at the end of the three weeks.

Heart of Texas Writing Project, Smithwick: A place for teens to find confidence in their writing—and for teens who are passionate about writing. Here, you will spend a week or two writing and refining your best possible work.

Writing resourcesUtah

Desert Wanderings, Salt Lake City: Teens with disabilities have the chance to engage in creative writing workshops held at locations most convenient to them. These workshops culminate in the Desert Wanderings literary journal publication.

Community Writing Center, Salt Lake City: Teens and adults blend together to participate in workshops with topics involving grammar, fiction, and poetry—even college application essays. There is also a special workshop for those interested in participate in NaNoWriMo.

Writing resourcesVermont

The Putney School Summer Program, Putney: You can choose to spend the day in a writing-intensive seminar, or pick half-days in poetry, fiction, and playwriting seminars. You participate in open reading sessions, and constructive critiques. A compilation of student work is published at the end of the camp.

Champlain College Young Writers’ Conference, Burlington: You get the chance to meet other young writers, as well as professional published writers. You spend over ten hours in workshops on a variety of genres, including fiction, songwriting, and even performance theater.

Writing resourcesVirginia

Writopia Lab, Old Town Alexandria & Washington DC: You participate in 90 minute after-school and Saturday workshops to improve your creative writing. Workshops include writing exercises, group sharing, and critique sessions. Genres include poetry, fiction, non-fiction, playwriting, and essay help for high school seniors.

The Muse, Norfolk: You will explore a massive variety of creative writing genres (from fiction to travel writing to social networking). Classes involve both seminars and workshops; all students must produce work for group critique.

Writing resourcesWashington

Young Writers’ Workshop, Seattle: You will work with models of short fiction and poetry; you also study language, imagery, voice, and contemporary writers, in order to help you identify what makes a strong piece. You then learn to write, edit, and revise your works with the help of other teen writers.

Richard Hugo House, Seattle: Saturday workshops for teens who want to study specific genres of writing, like fiction, poetry, spoken word, or zines. Specialized workshops are also offered sporadically, and featured unique themes like mythology.

Writing resourcesWest Virginia

Governor’s School for the Arts, Charleston: You spend time in small class sizes for three weeks, doing intensive study of creative writing. You emerge from the program with a refined sense of confidence in your work, and a stronger voice and writing skills.

WV Writers Youth Forum, all state: An online forum for teens to socialize, review writing, and receive feedback on their works. You can find workshops in your area, as well as writing exercises, discussions, and questions about writing.

Writing resourcesWisconsin

Red Oak Young Writers, Milwaukee, Brookfield, Genesee Depot: You can participate in writers’ circles, camps, and other writing-based gatherings. The goal of these meetings is to facilitate better writing, and encourage constructive feedback.

Urban Youth Literary Arts Program, Milwaukee: Designed especially for low-income youth, you have the opportunity to come to safe environment in order to discover the value in creative writing as self-expression. The curriculum also involves other art forms, like drawing or yoga.

Writing resourcesWyoming

Teen Writers, Natrona County: You are invited to participate in writing games, writing practice, and to receive and give constructive criticism.

Wyoming Writers, Inc., Cheyenne: You are invited to participate in events and writing contests sponsored by the Wyoming Writers.

Writing resourcesUnited Kingdom

Leeds Young Authors, Leeds, England: You meet other teens to write poetry, fiction, and other genres. You also participate in popular poetry slams.

Sheffield Young Writers, Sheffield, South York, England: You join other teens for an after-school creative writing workshop. You meet a wide range of professional writers, and learn how to develop and improve your craft.

Want to Improve Your Writing?

Writing Resources - Websites

Writing ResourcesStage of Life gives you a national stage through which to showcase your writing.  But check out these other amazing resources that can help you become a better writer or give you additional opportunities for publishing or promoting your writing.  If you have a writing resource to suggest, please Contact Us and we'll review.

Educational Resources and Free Lesson Plans

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • StageofLife.com once hosted the world's largest international writing contest for high school students and college students.  Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics dealt with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Participating Authors who work with Stage of Life on our Student Writing Contests

Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

National author support for StageofLife.com 

Participating Authors

• Question:  What do internationally published authors Susannah Cahalan, Richard Louv, Kimberly Rae Miller, Elyn Saks, and Andrew Soloman all have in common?
  • Answer:  They've all collaborated with StageofLife.com to support our grassroots international writing community.

Explore the dozens of published authors that have worked with us.  We're proud of the support these literary greats have put in the digital literacy mission of StageofLife.com...

View Participating Authors
  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens or would like to donate a signed copy of their book.

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises
  Contact Us if you have a lesson plan to suggest from Stage of Life's content

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Get "Writer" Classroom Poster - OUT OF STOCK

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping and handling fee
  • We've sent out over 1000 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 800,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

Education and Writing Consultant

Contact Rebecca - Stage of Life blogging consultantThe above teen blogging and writing prompt ideas were developed by Rebecca Thiegs, M.Ed. 

She is the resident, educational consultant for Stage of Life and welcomes feedback on this Language Arts blogging curriculum; in particular, which parts worked best for you.

Becky Thiegs, M.Ed

Rebecca earned her Masters of English Education from the University of Minnesota and has spent the last 15 years teaching high school English, Language Arts, Creative Writing and Public Speaking in a wide range of schools from an urban setting in Minneapolis to an affluent suburb of Philadelphia to a rural, small town in York County, PA.  In addition to her high school teaching career, Rebecca was a senior curriculum consultant for McDaniel College as part of their Summer Enrichment Program through a partnership with the DC Success Foundation, an initiative supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  She sits on the board of her local library, is a certified Writing Fellow from the National Writing Project, serves as the guest book blogger for her local newspaper, lived in London England, and is the passionate mother of two. 

Rebecca is available to speak or consult on Language Arts educational trends and in particular, teen blogging and getting writing out of the classroom.