Hero Lessons

5 Tips for Teaching Hero Concepts...

Teaching Hero Concepts - Classroom IdeasIntroduction by Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder

Teaching Hero Concepts"I was lucky enough to do my student teaching at Maple Grove Senior High School in Maple Grove, Minnesota.  Priding themselves on innovative curriculum, the teachers at Maple Grove developed an entire trimester of the 10th grade English curriculum devoted completely to heroes.  In that class, students worked on archetypal theory, creative writing, and reading classic hero tales (like The Epic of Gilgamesh). 

I give credit to my amazing supervising teacher, Sue Hein for many of the ideas I have about “hero study” in the classroom. Here’s how you can use Stageoflife.com’s hero writing prompt from our national writing contest and the winning essays listed in your class tomorrow...

NOTE:  These five hero concept teaching tips are tied to our Hero Essays page.  You should also review that page to review the content from which these teaching ideas stem.

1) Hero Walk

Hero Walk - Student Writing Ideas

Develop a “Hero Walk” for students to really define who or what constitutes a REAL hero.  For this activity, first have students come up with their own definition of “hero”: this could include people that they believe are heroes (past or present). You need to come up with a list of names (political figures - past and present, movie stars, singers, artists, maybe include names of students in their school who make a difference, put “your mom” on the list or “your dad”, possibly include “you” to the list, or anyone else that you can think of.  I usually put funny and serious names on the list, and job titles like “police officer” or “soldier”). 

I like to have a list of about 25-30 different names, but you decide when you have made your point with the Hero concepts by StageofLife.comactivity.  Instruct students they are going to do a “hero walk” and for the activity, there will be no talking, just walking from one side of the room or the other depending on their definition of hero.  Decide which side of the room represents “hero” and which side of the room is “not a hero” (you can choose whether or not you want a middle for undecided). 

Then, read each name and let the students walk to the side of the room which coincides with what they think of the name read - “hero” or “not a hero.” After you read through the names, have the students go back to their original definition of hero and add to it.  Ask: Has your definition changed?  Why or why not? 

Then, let the students share with a partner some of the ideas about the names on the “hero walk” and their definitions.  Then, have a full class discussion of hero definitions (come up with a class definition) and who on the “hero walk” exemplified the class definition best or worst. 

This activity, by the way, worked EVERY TIME.

2) Archetypal Theory / Hero Movie Clips

Archetypal Theory - Classroom Ideas

Show clips of Hero movies to teach archetypal theory or to teach the concept of hero.  If you want to start with an introduction of what Archetypal theory entails this article works really well (and is much more user friendly than other sources out there): http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/leonardamy/archetypes.pdf

After you read the article or give an overview of archetypal theory, test out the student knowledge with videos or popular movies.  I really liked using E.T. (which might be a bit dated now), Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Wizard of Oz.  Movies like Finding Nemo, Toy Story or Disney Princess movies would work, too.  When I taught the Maple Grove High School curriculum, I used clips from different movies to illustrate different archetypes (and even played a “What archetype is this?” game).

Writing a Hero Tale - Classroom Ideas

3) Write a "Hero Tale"

Okay, so this could be a VERY involved end of unit sort of process, but it could also be a fun intro activity or a fun group activity.  It could be a class project where the final product is to create a class hero tale movie, or it could be an individual project where each student crafts their own hero tale.  You could also create a new “Greatest American Hero” to discuss current events and review aspects of the definition of hero.

4) Give a Hero Speech

Hero Speech - Classroom Ideas for Teen Writing

This is also more of an involved end of unit sort of activity, but it would be a great activity to really get to know the students in the class and see how they define hero.  This could be a long speech or a short impromptu speech.  Use some of the essay themes from the Stage of Life "Who Is Your Hero" writing prompt summary report to give the students some ideas on the types of people they could craft their speech around.

5) Submit a Hero Essay to StageofLife.com

Submit a Hero Essay - Classroom Ideas for Teen Writing

You could do a class assignment for each student to submit a hero essay to the website.  Use the sample winning essays to as mentor texts and talk about the style, structure and content of a few of the essays.  If you have access to laptops, each student in your class could look at different essays and compare and contrast with their classmates. Get student writing out of the classroom!.

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have ideas for feedback on these Teacher Notes to share?  Please Contact Us!

View the Stage of Life page Who Is Your Hero for essays

Menu - Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing ExercisesVisit our special "Notes to the Teacher" pages below to get practical ideas on how to use the Stage of Life writing resources in your classroom tomorrow...
  1. Statistics on Teens
  2. Hero Concepts
  3. Inspirational Videos
  4. Recommended YA Books
  5. Mass Consumerism
  6. 10 Tips for Creating a Writing Centric Classroom
  7. Random Acts of Kindness Lesson Plan

View all our free Educational Resources on StageofLife.com

Educational Resources and Free Lesson Plans

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • StageofLife.com once hosted the world's largest international writing contest for high school students and college students.  Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics dealt with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Participating Authors who work with Stage of Life on our Student Writing Contests

Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

National author support for StageofLife.com 

Participating Authors

• Question:  What do internationally published authors Susannah Cahalan, Richard Louv, Kimberly Rae Miller, Elyn Saks, and Andrew Soloman all have in common?
  • Answer:  They've all collaborated with StageofLife.com to support our grassroots international writing community.

Explore the dozens of published authors that have worked with us.  We're proud of the support these literary greats have put in the digital literacy mission of StageofLife.com...

View Participating Authors
  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens or would like to donate a signed copy of their book.

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises
  Contact Us if you have a lesson plan to suggest from Stage of Life's content

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Get "Writer" Classroom Poster - OUT OF STOCK

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping and handling fee
  • We've sent out over 1000 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 800,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!