Benefits and Negatives of Homeschooling

Choosing between public schools, private schools, or homeschooling can be a tough decision for some parents. Here are some of the potential benefits homeschooling your child can have:

Potential benefits of homeschooling your child include:

• Developing a more personal curriculum for your child
  • Controlling what your child learns
  • Adapting your teaching methods to your child's learning style
  • Having greater freedom for education trips and vacations
  • Breaking free of traditional classroom schedules and develop the best schedule for your child
  • Spending more time and putting more effort in your child's problem areas
  • Focusing on subjects that interest your child
  • Being more involved with the schooling of your child
  • Allowing more room for creativity and freedom in your child's curriculum 
  • Teaching your children your values
Homeschooling can also be an option for less financially stable parents. Homeschooling can cut the cost on:
  • Schooling costs
  • Transportation costs
  • School book and supply costs
  • Food and lunch money costs
However, homeschooling will also mean that a parent will be out of work as homeschooling a child is a full-time job in itself. Additionally, some homeschooling curriculum can be expensive. Several other downsides of homeschooling need to be considered before making your decision.

Potential negatives of homeschooling your child

• Homeschoolers may miss out on public-school activities such as school dances, plays, or concerts
  • Sports teams, clubs, organizations, and events may not be open to homeschoolers
  • Homeschoolers lose the social interaction of public or private schools and must work to be social in other ways 
  • Homeschoolers are deprived of counselors, guidance counselors, and other non-parent advice givers that public schools offer to a student
  • Parents must devote a large portion of their day to teaching their child
The above lists are all potential advantages and disadvantages that are important to consider when making your decision on whether you should homeschool your child.

The above benefits and negatives were compiled from the following sources. To read more, follow the links:
http://www.sonlight.com/before-you-start-homeschooling.html
http://benefitsofhomeschooling.net/
http://school.familyeducation.com/home-schooling/parenting/29861.html?page=2
http://www.educationnews.org/articles/parents-must-consider-disadvantages-before-home-schooling-.html

Return to Homeschooling Resources page

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com