Bringing Digital Literacy into the Classroom

Education Trends - Digital LiteracyDigital Literacy - Trends in Education

With over 150,000 teens and college students visiting StageofLife.com each year, we know the importance of promoting digital literacy in the classroom...that's why we've started asking education experts, online educators, and regular people committed to furthering digital literacy, "How does blogging play a part in today's educational environment, and what is the role of digital literacy in today's modern classroom?" 

High School Bloggers on StageofLife.comFrom our perspective, one of the key missions here at StageofLife.com is to create life-long readers and writers.  We feel passionately that blogging is an interactive way to reach young writers and inspire them to share more of their viewpoints with the world.  It's why we built a free, blogging community that encompasses the 10 life stages from high school to retirement.  If students find inspiration to write and blog because of a monthly StageofLife.com national national writing contest, they may just come back again and again, on their own, to write more...eventually compiling a list of stories and essays throughout their life (all stored within their Stage of Life Profile).

This idea of blogging and writing throughout life is the basis of our digital literacy initiative.

But we're not an island.  StageofLife.com is actively partnering within the education community help high school teachers and college professors get students writing more outside of the classroom using the encouragement of sharing stories and blogs about their lives.  Whether educators use StageofLife.com or another digital literacy resource to get students writing more, our hope is the below tips, words of wisdom and insights from the experts on digital literacy give you some inspiration on using technology in your classroom to enhance literacy development.

Before reading below, don't forget to check out all of our Educational Resources here on StageofLife.com

Digitial Literacy - Contact UsAre you a digital literacy expert, educator or education-friendly company interested in sharing your view incorporating blogging into the classroom?  Share your viewpoint with us and we'll review to see if your comments are something we can feature your quote here on our Digital Literacy conversation
...

How does blogging play a part in today's educational environment, and what is the role of digital literacy in today's modern classroom?

Troy Hicks, Associate Professor of English at Central Michigan University

Troy Hicks, Associate Professor of English at Central Michigan University, says...

"Like many educators, I agree that blogging can provide young writers with opportunities for expression, response, and engagement that move well beyond our classroom walls. From the technical skills of creating links and embedding images, to the academic skills of accepting constructive criticism and expanding ideas in one's writing, blogging allows students to write about topics for which they care, engage in dialogue with others, and reflect on their growth as writers over time. As our students develop their voices, blogging encourages them to move beyond status updates or forum responses, and instead to become fully engaged as digital writers who share their ideas, interests, and insights with the world."

--Troy

About Troy Hicks

Dr. Troy Hicks is an associate professor of English at Central Michigan University and focuses his work on the teaching of writing, literacy and technology, and teacher education and professional development. A former middle school teacher, he collaborates with K–12 colleagues and explores how they implement newer literacies in their classrooms. Hicks is director of CMU’s Chippewa River Writing Project, a site of the National Writing Project, and he frequently conducts professional development workshops related to writing and technology. Also, Hicks is author of the The Digital Writing Workshop (Heinemann, 2009) and a co-author of Because Digital Writing Matters (Jossey-Bass, 2010). In March 2011, Hicks was honored with CMU's Provost's Award for junior faculty who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in research and creative activity. Most importantly, he is the father of six digital natives and is always learning something new about writing and technology from them.

@hickstro

Rebecca Thiegs from StageofLife.com says...

"Students need to have every opportunity possible to practice writing, and in particular, to utilize technology to write outside of traditional pen and paper journal environment.  Any reputable website that offers the opportunity for writing and writing practice is something students and teachers need to explore to expand their writing horizons outside of the classroom walls. 

Real world writing experiences, such as blogging, make students write differently than when they are simply writing something that will only be handed in to a teacher for a grade via a regular classroom assignment.  StageofLife.com offers unique opportunities for students to get their writing outside of the classroom and expand and their writing possibilities and audience."

--Rebecca

About StageofLife.com

StageofLife.com is one of the most active teen and college student blogging platforms, with over 100,000 student visitors yearly either reading or uploading essay, blogs and stories to the website.  Its monthly, national essay contests have been mentioned on TIME.com, The Wall Street Journal's MarketWatch, and other media outlets.   Teachers and professors across the globe utilize StageofLife.com to encourage their students to explore blogging and get their writing out of the classroom as they explore real-life topics and issues.  For more information please visit www.stageoflife.com

Digital Literacy

Dawn Mena from TeachAde.com says...

"Blogging plays a very big role in our services for educators and the education system on TeachAde.com, an award-winning and ground-breaking online resource center and community for educators. The blogs located on our site are written by educators, experts in the field of finance and education, NEA MB executives and representatives and more - all welcome to contribute to a community that supports, educates and provides thousands of valuable free resources and communications tools for our nation's educators. Blogs have been a tool that resonated with teachers who are reaching out to find new resources, share ideas with like-minded teachers in other areas of the country and find solutions from sources they may not have had access to without the wide reach of blogging"

--Dawn

About TeachAde.com

Teachade.com is the first website designed specifically for educators that provides free resources, a vibrant community of like-minded professionals and a place to share thoughts, ideas and more that meet each educator's specific interests and needs. TeachAde.com is unique in its dedication to supporting classroom educators, while remaining completely free and easy to use, combining the best features of social networking with abundant educational resources and robust fundraising tools. TeachAde partners with the NEAMB, Disney, Goldie Hawn's Foundation and Adopt-A-Classroom as a core group of like-minded companies with a shared vision and purpose. Investor funding for TeachAde.com has been provided by Robert Potamkin, Chairman of Potamkin Companies. For more information please visit www.teachade.com

Digital Literacy

Elaine from STIZZiL says...

"When I was in the classroom, having taught grades 5 - university, I would have loved to have had digital journal writing as a tool for my students to use. The ease of sharing, editing and creating makes blogging online a wonderful tool. A teacher can incorporate all forms of writing, allowing students to explore ideas, while experimenting and obtaining feedback. Too much education is based on testing; blogging about literature, theater, science, history and the arts is a great way to determine a student’s proficiency as well. Many students do not do well with standardized, objective test forms and could have greater success with the subjective format of digital writing.

Blogging online encourages collaboration and students can have the opportunity to expand and test their ideas.   Digital blogging allows for a delving into a plethora of areas and for experiencing a worldwide base of readers and listeners. How exciting to share ideas not only with other peers and teachers, but with those who may be older/younger or from another country.  I can only imagine having online blogging discussions about science concepts, great literature and a painting from the art museum.  Sharing thoughts at any age is informative, fun and challenging.  Students of all ages can benefit from this great tool."

--Elaine

About STIZZiL

Elaine is an English teacher of more than 35+ years experience as well as the founder of STIZZiL, a premium, quality on line supplemental education company for students ages 2 - 99. STIZZiL is a supplemental education company offering private/group academic tutoring, K-8 enrichment programs, and test preparation services. STIZZiL is managed and staffed by U.S. state-licensed and trained educators. 

Digital Literacy

Andy Petroski from Learning Technologies Master of Science program at Harrisburg University says...

"In the Learning Technologies Master of Science (LTMS) program at Harrisburg University, we regularly see the K-12 classrooms of educators transformed by the new techniques and digital technologies they learn.  The transformation happens through a changing perspective from both teachers and students.  As teachers, they learn that tools like blogs enable greater participation by all students and create an active learning environment where students are creators of knowledge as well as consumers.  For students, their voice in the classroom is amplified as is there voice in the world, through authentic work for authentic readers.  While a global audience is ideal, even just expanding the audience to fellow students means that students are creating for an audience other than the teacher.  These changes in the classroom provide opportunities for developing 21st Century Skills in students that go beyond the topical learning that’s the primary focus of the course.  Teachers also find that they have to do more preparation work for class, but less lecturing during class.  They often prefer this scenario and enjoy how the students “lead their learning.”

Many teachers hesitate to integrate digital technology like blogging into the classroom because they are afraid that the students know more than they do.  But, that’s often not the case.  Teachers are often surprised at how little the students know about using the digital tools for learning.  And, that’s yet another opportunity for learning that digital resources like blogging bring to the classroom."

--Andy

About Learning Technologies Master of Science program at Harrisburg University

Founded in 2001 to address Central Pennsylvania’s need for increased opportunities for study leading to careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields, Harrisburg University is an innovative and ambitious private institution that produces graduates who provide increased competence and capacity in science and technology disciplines to Pennsylvania and the nation. Harrisburg University ensures institutional access for underrepresented students and links learning and research to practical outcomes. As a private University serving the public good, Harrisburg University remains the only STEM-focused comprehensive university located between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

Digital Literacy 

Dan Fullerton from APlusPhysics.com says...

"High school physics students use blogs at APlusPhysics.com to detail their learning in a journal format as well as exploring the application of classroom physics to real-world situations. Students use their blogs to generalize, summarize, question, and identify patterns to strengthen their transfer of knowledge, skills, and understanding to unfamiliar contexts.  Further, they use writing to fully develop and synthesize ideas, interpret information, and justify their thinking or argument.

Not only has this enhanced student understanding of our basic curriculum, it has also promoted exploration into applications of physics significantly outside the boundaries of our required content.  Based on their blogging experience, high school students have pushed themselves to explore Einstein’s derivation of general relativity; physics and mathematics of music and harmonies; even a scientific assessment of the optimal golf swing! When students choose topics they are interested in, each day becomes an adventure of exploration.

The APlusPhysics.com blogging platform is free and open to all high school educators and students interested in writing to learn about the world around them.  Our collaborative educational community consists of students, educators, parents and professionals, all working together to create a safe and constructive learning environment"

--Dan

About  APlusPhysics

Designed to help high school physics students succeed, APlusPhysics is a free online physics resource that focuses on problem solving, understanding, and real-world applications in the context of introductory physics courses such as NY Regents Physics, Honors Physics, and AP Physics B and C courses.

We cover key topics of introductory physics courses, and demonstrate how the principles and applications of high school physics extend outside the classroom through: Courses, Projects, Forums, Podcasts, Educators, and Blogs.

Blogs - individual and group blogs for students and instructors, providing further opportunities to reflect on concepts and applications while fostering our physics learning community, as well as the Physics In Flux blog which explores redefining the traditional high school physics classroom.

Digital Literacy

J.R. Daniel Kirk from Fuller Theological Seminary says...

"A professor’s dream is that students will continue to engage their subject outside the classroom. As a professor who blogs daily, I find that internet conversation provides a place for continuing education for many of my students. I often field comments on the blog in which former students show me that they are finally getting hold of and wrestling with concepts that were central to our time together in the classroom. Simply put, ten to fifteen weeks in a classroom can provide a good foundation, but engaging with similar ideas over months and even years by means of continuing interaction over the internet has proven transformative for many of my students.

In the field of biblical studies there is a large community of professors and students who blog regularly. The cross-pollination of ideas and readers within this community keeps the conversations lively and often produces high-caliber content. When interested students discover this world, it often keeps them engaged. One of the principal educational benefits of blogging I have seen is that it keeps some students actively wrestling with the academic questions that have the power to change how they see the world."

--J.R. Daniel Kirk

About J.R. Daniel Kirk

Storied Theology explores the intersection of biblical studies, theology, church, and culture.

Digital Literacy

Tom Jacobs from AsktheJudge says...

"I am a retired juvenile judge and the founder/moderator of AsktheJudge.info. AsktheJudge is a great tool and resource that can be used by teachers in the classroom. Whether the students are learning about civics, social studies, the U.S. Constitution or law and theory, they can read about all sorts of related issues on AsktheJudge and share their thoughts and opinions during a classroom discussion. Students can learn about our justice system and our constitutional rights by reading hundreds of real life stories and cases involving adults as well as teens who fought for their rights and helped shape our laws. The interactive feature on AsktheJudge allows teachers and students to have their questions answered by a legal professional and to interact with other users on the site."

--Tom

About AsktheJudge

AsktheJudge.info, a youth justice website where we answer teens', parents' and educators' questions about the rights of t(w)eens and the laws affecting them. AsktheJudge is an educational and interactive site where we discuss the legal aspects of all issues affecting today's youth including free speech rights at school, cell phone privacy rights at school, cyberbullying, sexting, etc. The "Talk Back" section features news, court opinions and current events. Each article ends with a series of questions to facilitate discussion on these important issues. 

Digital Literacy

Leslie from Interactive-Biology.com says...

"My name is Leslie Samuel and I'm a new assistant Professor at Andrews University. Up until this last year, I've been teaching high school science and math.

I started a blog where I teach biology online, and share all kinds of resources for others to help make learning biology fun. I run it primarily as a video blog, and it is being used by thousands of people all over the world. I've had over 53,000 visitors to the site since January and get a lot of positive feedback in daily messages.

I believe that blogs can change the way people learn. There are so many resources that can be shared online that I'm amazed at how much can be accomplished."

--Leslie

About Interactive-Biology.com

Interactive-Biology.com is a website with videos, games, handouts and other resources to help make biology fun. The site is used by thousand of peoples all over the world (over 130 different countries), ranging from high school to college, graduate school to medical schools, nurse practitioners, and medical doctors.

Blogging is a powerful tool, when used correctly. Our goal is to use the blog to change the way people consume biology, and to make a high quality biological training available to anyone with access to an internet connection. Not only that, but we hope to inspire other educators to do the same, so that we can continue changing the world, one blog at a time.

Digital Literacy

Maria a fifth grade teacher says...

"After receiving an iPod grant, I decided to start a blog about how to integrate iPods into all areas of our fifth-grade classroom. My biggest concern was the integration into literacy because I wanted to weave reading workshop, writing workshop and word study into focused lessons using the iPods.

While searching the web, I found Wonderopolis.org, and the opportunity to incorporate all three areas of literacy has been a huge success in my classroom as well as the connection between home and school learning. It's been a WONDERful journey.

One specific way I used technology in the classroom last year was integrating Skype and Wonderopolis to connect my students in Dublin, Ohio, with the classroom of Jonathan Fines, a kindergarten teacher in Missoula, Mont.

Our classes celebrated National Poem in Your Pocket day. Both classes shared Shel Silverstein poems, and some actually sang a few.  My fifth-graders loved the fact that their audience was in Montana and that they had to choose their poems based on the age of the children. It was a huge hit that both Jonathan and I want to try again. Jonathan said Wonderopolis is like taking his kids to Disneyland, and I agree. It is a wonderful free resource to ignite learning in any classroom."
--Maria

About Maria

Maria has been teaching for 23 years; the last 14 in fifth grade. She is using her blog to share her thinking about iPods, new technology tools, and books. Check out her blog at http://teachingin21.blogspot.com/

Educational Resources and Free Lesson Plans

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • StageofLife.com once hosted the world's largest international writing contest for high school students and college students.  Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics dealt with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Participating Authors who work with Stage of Life on our Student Writing Contests

Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

National author support for StageofLife.com 

Participating Authors

• Question:  What do internationally published authors Susannah Cahalan, Richard Louv, Kimberly Rae Miller, Elyn Saks, and Andrew Soloman all have in common?
  • Answer:  They've all collaborated with StageofLife.com to support our grassroots international writing community.

Explore the dozens of published authors that have worked with us.  We're proud of the support these literary greats have put in the digital literacy mission of StageofLife.com...

View Participating Authors
  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens or would like to donate a signed copy of their book.

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises
  Contact Us if you have a lesson plan to suggest from Stage of Life's content

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Get "Writer" Classroom Poster - OUT OF STOCK

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping and handling fee
  • We've sent out over 1000 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 800,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

Education and Writing Consultant

Contact Rebecca - Stage of Life blogging consultantThe above teen blogging and writing prompt ideas were developed by Rebecca Thiegs, M.Ed. 

She is the resident, educational consultant for Stage of Life and welcomes feedback on this Language Arts blogging curriculum; in particular, which parts worked best for you.

Becky Thiegs, M.Ed

Rebecca earned her Masters of English Education from the University of Minnesota and has spent the last 15 years teaching high school English, Language Arts, Creative Writing and Public Speaking in a wide range of schools from an urban setting in Minneapolis to an affluent suburb of Philadelphia to a rural, small town in York County, PA.  In addition to her high school teaching career, Rebecca was a senior curriculum consultant for McDaniel College as part of their Summer Enrichment Program through a partnership with the DC Success Foundation, an initiative supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  She sits on the board of her local library, is a certified Writing Fellow from the National Writing Project, serves as the guest book blogger for her local newspaper, lived in London England, and is the passionate mother of two. 

Rebecca is available to speak or consult on Language Arts educational trends and in particular, teen blogging and getting writing out of the classroom.