Blogger Resources - Feature Article

5 Tips to Start Your Blog

by Pattie Crider, StageofLife.com Featured Blogger

How to start a blog1. Surf the Internet to find a website where you will want your blog. There are more blogging sites on the Internet than can be possibly named. If having your own blog domain is not your goal, a blogging community, such as Stage of Life, is an excellent place to start. It is free, easy to register and always has great prizes for winners of their numerous writing contests.

2. Browse blogging sites and read what people are writing. Blogging is open to any topic and if having readers follow what you write is not a priority, no worries.  If you do want to gain a following of readers, subscribers, fans and haters; write about current topics and give your own thoughts and opinions. A following will magically develop based on what you write and how available you make it on the Internet.

3. Pay attention to how the writers have their blog site formatted. Thousands of templates can be found to format your own website.  Don’t underestimate simplistic templates as the flashier ones are distracting to readers. Colorful solids high-light your blog content while abstract, multiple colors and photos clutter your blog.

Blog on StageofLife.com4. Write on paper, five to ten words that would represent the categories on your blog. These categories should be able to contain many topics. On a personal blog site, posts are tagged, making each post unique within the assigned category. If posting on a community blog site, choose one category that you fall into when submitting a story. A community such as Stage of Life lists ten categories where anyone writing will be part of at least one. 

5. Register on the blogging site of your choice. Set aside any fears you might still have about writing your first post. Nearly every blogger starts their first post announcing it as their first post. There is no shame to start with that announcement, so run with it. Millions of bloggers started exactly where you are right now: having made the decision to write and share your thoughts and ideas with the world.

Still need ideas to blog about?  Check out these helpful blog sites & writing prompts:

Prompts:

Blogging Sites to Start a Blog:

Have more tips for starting a blog we should add to this list?  Contact Us...

Contact StageofLife.com with more blogging tips

Check out the other blogging resources on StageofLife.com below...

Blogging Resources

Blog starting tips

5 Tips to Start Your Blog

Tips for Promoting Your Blog

Top 10 Ways to Promote Your Blog

Tips for beginner bloggers

10 Tips for Avoiding Beginner Blog Mistakes

Blog Directory - add your blog link

Stage of Life Blog Directory

Promote your blog on StageofLife.com

Using StageofLife.com to Promote Your Blog

Statistics about Blogging

Quotes about Blogging

Cartoons about Blogging

Become a Featured Blogger on StageofLife.com

Become a Featured Blogger

• Anyone can write an essay and submit to StageofLife.com.  That's part of its magic.
        • However, we do find that some members become addicted and/or enjoy writing more than others.
        • If you have a lot to say and you find yourself wanting to help our mission of changing the word through stories and blogging, please learn more about becoming one of our Featured Bloggers
        • Featured bloggers receive additional placements on the website and inside updates from our CEO and staff

Health effects of writing

Health and Blogging

Recommended Blog Directories

Recommended Blog Directories

Outside of sharing your blog here on StageofLife.com (either in a blog post on Stage of Life or by listing your blog URL in your Stage of Life profile page), we've had the chance to review quite a few other blog directories out there.  Here are the blog directories we recommend if you're looking for more exposure for your blog...

Contact Us Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

NOTE:  StageofLife.com is a free, non-partisan, grassroots, global blogging community.  The site does not endorse any particular religion, political party, or social cause.  Because of this, you will find a variety of viewpoints submitted by the Stage of Life blogging community consisting of students, parents, educators, Baby Boomers, singles, newlyweds, homeowners, and many others.  Our mission is to positively change the world, one story at a time, by becoming the world's largest collection of multi-generational stories, essays and blogs.  We thank the thousands of writers and bloggers participating here at StageofLife.com.