Blogger Resources - Feature Article

10 Tips for New Bloggers

by Pattie Crider, StageofLife.com Featured Blogger

In talking and working with thousands of bloggers as one of the largest, multi-generational, writing communities in the world, StageofLife.com complied 10 tips that every blogger should consider before starting a blog. This blogging resource is intended to help writers improve the quality of their blog and gain more traffic and readers.

1. Write about something interesting, not just to your audience, but to yourself. Give some thought prior to, during, and after you write, concerning the likelihood that someone will want to read your post. This doesn’t limit your topic necessarily, but word choice is important. Painting a picture in a readers mind with your words is what makes writing strong and memorable.

2. Post a picture and write about what it portrays. This may be a personal picture of your own or one pulled from the Internet. People are visual so draw them in with a photo and hook them with your written insight.

3. Quote someone, and then write your thoughts on this person’s words. Explain, expand, agree, disagree and tell how this sparked a memory, opinion or emotion.

4. Don’t write blog posts that are too lengthy. Posts are generally a minimum of 250 words and maximum of 1000 words. Readers spend an average of 1.5 minutes reading a blog post. If your post doesn’t hold their attention, they are likely to move on without finishing.

5. Interview someone (famous or not) and write about what they shared with you. Ask questions that require more than a yes or no answer. Always get more information than you will possibly need to insure a sufficient amount of raw material to work with. If possible, record the interview (with subject’s permission) so you can refer back for clarification and accuracy.

6. Use proper English when writing your blog. In general, slang does not read well in posts. Slang, profanity and clichés may drive away readers versus drawing them into your posts.

7. Don’t be afraid to write in the first person, especially when sharing a personal experience in a post. Blogging is a personal essay and using the word “I” is completely acceptable and even expected. This is your blog, you are allowed to say “I, my, me, us and we.”

8. Categories on your blog site are important. Choose your categories wisely. Too many categories may overwhelm your readers. Use sub-categories under the parent category to keep your posts organized.

9. Tagging is the best method to help readers find posts that will interest them. Every post you create should be tagged with any word that is significant to your post. For example, if you blog about a school musical performance, appropriate tags would be the name of the musical, where it was performed, name(s) of the playwright(s), popular songs from the show and cast members names.

10. Proofread your blog post thoroughly. Be certain you are using the correct words in sentences. Spell check is a great writer’s tool, but it is unreliable. The program will not recognize incorrect word use if a word is spelled correctly. Using their, there and they’re correctly will show your strength in the English language. Using them incorrectly casts a dark shadow over your writing in general. Don’t look foolish; proofread your work by reading it aloud.

Have more tips for bloggers we should add to this list?  Contact Us...

Contact StageofLife.com with more blogging tips

Check out the other blogging resources on StageofLife.com below...

Blogging Resources

Blog starting tips

5 Tips to Start Your Blog

Tips for Promoting Your Blog

Top 10 Ways to Promote Your Blog

Tips for beginner bloggers

10 Tips for Avoiding Beginner Blog Mistakes

Blog Directory - add your blog link

Stage of Life Blog Directory

Promote your blog on StageofLife.com

Using StageofLife.com to Promote Your Blog

Statistics about Blogging

Quotes about Blogging

Cartoons about Blogging

Become a Featured Blogger on StageofLife.com

Become a Featured Blogger

• Anyone can write an essay and submit to StageofLife.com.  That's part of its magic.
        • However, we do find that some members become addicted and/or enjoy writing more than others.
        • If you have a lot to say and you find yourself wanting to help our mission of changing the word through stories and blogging, please learn more about becoming one of our Featured Bloggers
        • Featured bloggers receive additional placements on the website and inside updates from our CEO and staff

Health effects of writing

Health and Blogging

Recommended Blog Directories

Recommended Blog Directories

Outside of sharing your blog here on StageofLife.com (either in a blog post on Stage of Life or by listing your blog URL in your Stage of Life profile page), we've had the chance to review quite a few other blog directories out there.  Here are the blog directories we recommend if you're looking for more exposure for your blog...

Contact Us Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

NOTE:  StageofLife.com is a free, non-partisan, grassroots, global blogging community.  The site does not endorse any particular religion, political party, or social cause.  Because of this, you will find a variety of viewpoints submitted by the Stage of Life blogging community consisting of students, parents, educators, Baby Boomers, singles, newlyweds, homeowners, and many others.  Our mission is to positively change the world, one story at a time, by becoming the world's largest collection of multi-generational stories, essays and blogs.  We thank the thousands of writers and bloggers participating here at StageofLife.com.