Did You Know: Wedding

Wedding Statistics

Statistics about Weddings and Engagements

Stage of Life has statistics about weddings and engagements. Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  If you have a statistic about weddings or engagements to share, Contact Us along with the source and we'll determine if it should be placed on the Wedding Statistics page.

Facts & Figures on Weddings

Statistics about weddings, brides and grooms:

Statistics about weddings

720,000,000: Number of women worldwide who were married before age 18, according to UNICEF. Some 250 million of them were married before their 15th birthday.

SOURCE:  Time Magazine (August 4, 2014)

Statistics about weddings

66%: Percentage of divorces linked to Facebook.

Here are five safeguards couples can apply to Facebook and other social networks:

• Assess who you talk to the most. Is it a good mixture of men and women? Do you favor one friend over the others?

• Make your expectations very clear to your online friends.

• Do not engage in an intimate online conversation with someone who is not your spouse.

• Couples should set parameters about how much time and when they are online each day. If you're using Facebook at 2 a.m. when everyone else in the household is asleep, this could be the sign of a problem.

• Share your Facebook password with your spouse and vice-versa. That way you both know your Facebook private messages are not secret.

SOURCE:  American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)

Statistics about weddings

53%: Percentage of women over the age of 15 who are married today (compare to 62% in 1972).

SOURCE:  U.S. Census Bureau

Statistics about weddings

$125 billion: Amount spent on 2.1 million U.S. weddings in 2005 (about the size of Ireland's GDP).

SOURCE:  Reported by CNN Money from the "American Weddings" study conducted by The Fairchild Bridal Group. Fairchild surveyed more than 1,000 brides. Data released May 20, 2005.

Statistics about weddings

$23,867:  Nationwide average cost of a wedding during the first half of 2010 (not including the honeymoon).  This was an increase from the 2008 report.

SOURCE:  The Wedding Report

Statistics about weddings

$4,146:  Average cost of an engagement ring.

SOURCE:  CNN Money reporting on "American Weddings" study

Statistics about weddings

27 and 29: Average age of today’s brides and grooms. They are much older than their counterparts were 15 years ago and more experienced, sophisticated consumers - they know what they want and are willing to stretch their budgets to get it. 

Median age in which a woman got married for the first time in 1972 was 21 years old.

Statistics about weddings

Have a wedding statistic to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Relationship Infographic

Informational Wedding Video

Your Statistics Comments

What did you think about the wedding statistics above?  Do you have a statistic to share?  Tell us now...