Did You Know: Raising a Family

Facts and statistics about raising a family

Statistics about Raising a Family and Parents

Stage of Life has statistics about raising a family and parents. Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  If you have a statistic about raising a family and parents to share, Contact Us along with the source and we'll determine if it should be placed on the Raising a Family Statistics page.

Stage of Life has interesting facts about families...

Statistics and Facts about Raising a Family, Children and Parenthood:

Statistics about parenthood 50%:  Percentage increase in the likelihood of parents administering an incorrect dose of medicine to kids when using spoonfuls rather than milliliters according to a study in Pediatrics.

SOURCE: Time Magazine (July 28, 2014)

Statistics about parenthood $245,340:  The average cost for a middle-income American family to raise a child born in 2013 until her 18th birthday.

SOURCE: Time Magazine (September 1, 2014)

Statistics about parenthood 9%:  Percentage of couples in dual-earner marriages that share housework, child care, and breadwinning evenly.

SOURCE: Journal of Family and Economic Issues

Statistics about parenthood 80%:  When women initiate arguments at home, 80% of them are over the division of labor.  This percentage is expected to climb as women make up 47% of the American workforce and 40% are the main breadwinner for their families.

SOURCES:  Stephanie Coontz's book, Getting to 50/50:  How Working Parents Can Have It All and the Pew Research Center

Statistics about families $1,560:  The value of edible food that the average American family of four throws into the garbage each year because the "sell by" date has passed, even though the food is still good.

15% - 25%:  The amount of food Americans buy that isn't consumed. 

SOURCE: 2013 study by the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and Harvard Law School that recommends eliminating sell-by dates on food because they're so misleading to the consumer.

Statistics on families $240,080:  Parents projected to spend $241,080 ($301,970 adjusted for inflation) to raise a child born in 2012 from a middle income family on food, shelter, and other necessities associated with child-rearing expenses over the next 17 years.

SOURCE: Annual USDA report on Expenditures on Children by Families.  View US Government press release on child care costs

Statistics on families 39:  Average family owns 39 pairs of shoes

SOURCE: "Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century", 11-year UCLA project

Statistics on families 75%+:  The percentage of parents that NEVER spend any leisure time outdoors.

Statistics on families
78%:  Percentage of families with a TV in a bedroom.

SOURCE: "Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century", 11-year UCLA project released in 2012

Statistics on families 3.1% and 40%:  The United Stages has 3.1% of the world's children and 40% of the world's toys.

Statistics on families 52:  Average number of items in a family's refrigerator.

Ideal number of children for a family

2: The ideal number of children for a family, according to 46% of Americans.

SOURCE: The New Demography of American Motherhood, Pew Research Center, May 2010

Statistics on raising a family, parenting and children

2/3:  Percentage of American households in which women make the primary health care decisions.  They account for 80¢ out of every dollar spent in drugstores, and are more likely than men to choose the family's health insurance.  Even when both parents work, wives shoulder 75% of domestic health care responsibilities which would include making kids' doctor appointments and getting them there on time.

SOURCE: Health Checkup, TIME Magazine. April 26, 2010

71%:  Percentage of women with children under the age of 18 who are in the labor force.  Compare that to 47% in 1975.  NOTE - in 2008, 60% of women with children under age 3 were in the labor force.

SOURCE:  U.S. Census Bureau

1 in 100:  Ratio of 8-year-olds who have received a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.  This is up from an estimated 1 in 150 two years ago.

SOURCE:  CDC

5 Billion Hours:  Amount of time the world's children spend playing with LEGO bricks per year.

SOURCE:  LEGO

Statistics on families

44%:  Percentage of Mississippi children who are overweight or obese - the highest in the nation.

SOURCE:  TIME July 13, 2009 quoting recent study

Statistics on families

11.5%: Average percentage that the regular coupon user saves his/her family per grocery or shopping bill with the use of discounts and coupons – savings of $7.50 per trip.

SOURCE:  Industry research (Carolina Manufacturer's Service Consumer Study) reported by ABC News contributor, Stephanie Nelson, a.k.a. “The Coupon Mom”

Statistics on families

53%: Percentage of consumers who say they regularly visit brand Web sites to find promotions for their families. 

SOURCE:  Recent study by comScore, an Internet information provider that tracks consumer behavior as reported on Jan. 14th, 2008 via MarketWatch through Yahoo Finance.

Statistics on families

56%:  Percentage of 3- and 4-year-olds enrolled in school in October 2006.

Source: School Enrollment – Social and Economic Characteristics of Students: October 2006

Statistics on families

72%: Percentage of children 3 to 6 enrolled in kindergarten who attended all day, as of October 2006.

Statistics on families

11%:  Projected percentage of elementary through high school students enrolled in private schools this fall.

Source: Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2009, Table 211

Statistics on families

63%:  Percentage of children younger than 6 living with married parents who were praised three or more times a day by their fathers. The corresponding number for children living with unmarried fathers was 57 percent.

Source: A Child’s Day 

Statistics on families

64%:  Percentage of children younger than 6 living with married parents who ate dinner with their fathers every day. The corresponding number for children living with unmarried fathers was 66 percent.

79%:  The percentage of children who ate dinner with their mothers every day.

Source: A Child’s Day 

Statistics on families

30%:  Percentage of children younger than 6 living with married parents in 2003 who ate breakfast with their fathers every day. The corresponding number for children living with unmarried fathers was 41 percent.

54%:  The percentage of children who ate breakfast with their mothers every day.

Source: A Child’s Day

Statistics on families

85%:  Among the 30.2 million fathers living with children younger than 18, the percentage who lived with their biological children only. In addition, 11 percent lived with stepchildren, 4 percent with adopted children and fewer than 1 percent with foster children.

94% Among the 37.8 million mothers living with children younger than 18, the percentage who lived with their biological children only. In addition, 3 percent lived with stepchildren, 2 percent with adopted children and less than 1 percent with foster children.

Source: Living Arrangements of Children: 2004

Statistics on families

25%:  Among the nation’s 11.3 million preschoolers whose mothers are employed, the percentage who are regularly cared for by their father during their mother’s working hours. This amounted to 2.9 million children.

Source: Who’s Minding the Kids? Child Care Arrangements: Spring 2005

Statistics on families

History of Father's Day:  According to the U.S. Census Bureau:  "The idea of Father’s Day was conceived by Sonora Dodd of Spokane, Wash., while she listened to a Mother’s Day sermon in 1909. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran who was left to raise his six children on a farm. A day in June was chosen for the first Father’s Day celebration — June 19, 1910, proclaimed by Spokane’s mayor because it was the month of Smart’s birth. The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day. Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent."

Statistics on families

26.5 million:  Number of fathers who are part of married-couple families with children younger than 18 in 2006.  22 percent are raising three or more children younger than 18 (among married-couple family households only).

Source: America’s Families and Living Arrangements: 2006

Statistics on families

History of Mother's Day:  According to the U.S. Census Bureau, "The driving force behind Mother’s Day was Anna Jarvis, who organized observances in Grafton, W.Va., and Philadelphia on May 10, 1908. As the annual celebration became popular around the country, Jarvis asked members of Congress to set aside a day to honor mothers. She finally succeeded in 1914, when Congress designated the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day."

Statistics on families

82.8 million:  Estimated number of mothers in the United States

Source: 2004 Survey of Income and Program Participation unpublished tabulations

81%:   Percentage of women 40 to 44 who are mothers. In 1976, 90 percent of women in that age group were mothers.

Source: Fertility of American Women 

Statistics on families

5.6 million:  Number of stay-at-home mothers nationwide in 2007, up from 4.6 million a decade earlier. 

Source: Families and Living Arrangements: 2007

Statistics on families

*Since the 1960s the Family Economics Research Group of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has provided estimates on the cost of rearing a child. The estimates are calculated per child in a household with two children and are categorized by the age of the child using different family income levels. Attorneys and judges use these estimates in determining child-support awards in divorce cases as well as cases involving the wrongful death of a parent. Public officials use the estimates to determine payments for the support of children in foster care and for subsidies to adoptive families. Financial planners and consumer educators use them in helping people determine their life insurance needs.

Statistics on families

Have a statistic about children, familes or parenthood to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Informational Raising a Family Video

Your Statistics Comments

What did you think about the raising a family and parent statistics above?  Do you have a statistic to share?  Tell us now...