Did You Know: On My Own

Singles statistics

Statistics about Single Adults and Living On Your Own

Stage of Life has statistics about singles and living on your own. Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  If you have a statistic about being single to share, Contact Us along with the source and we'll determine if it should be placed on the On My Own Statistics page.

Facts & Figures about Being Single

Statistics about Singles and Living on My Own:

Statistics about being single 1 in 5:  The ratio of American adults ages 25 and older who have never been married, a record high according to the Pew Research Center. The study attributes the trend to a combination of factors, including a rise in cohabitation, marrying later in life and financial troubles, particularly among young men, for whom hourly wages, adjusted for inflation, have declined 20% since 1980.

Source: Time Magazine (October 6, 2014)

Statistics about being single
The Best and Worst cities for single women:

Special report ranks the best and worst US cities for single women based on the ratio of women to men, the numbers of never-married women, and other factors. 

The Best Cities for all the single ladies:
1.  Los Angeles
2.  San Diego
3.  Houtston
4.  Phoenix
5.  San Francisco
6.  Dallas
7.  San Jose
8.  Austin
9.  San Antonio
10. Chicago

The Worst Cities for single women:

1.  NYC
2.  Philadelphia
3.  Washington DC
4.  Baltimore
5.  Detroit
6.  Boston
7.  Greensboro, N.C.
8.  Durham, N.C.
9.  Milwaukee
10. Birmingham, Ala.

Source: 2013 Cosmo special report

Statistics about being single 1/4 of single people believe married people have more boring social lives.

Source: Time July 8 / July 15 2013

Statistics about being single

10%: Women age 45 to 54 who have never been married.  Compare that to 5% in 1972.

Source:  Time Magazine, Oct. 26th 2009

Statistics about being single

Soldiers, both active duty and on inactive status, died by suicide at the rate of 25 per month in 2010, Army figures show.

Source: USA Today

Statistics about being single

63%: A woman's increased risk of obesity after moving in with a significant other.

1: Number of years after moving in that a woman's risk of obesity starts to increase.

Source:  July 2009 Issue of Obesity - new research study of 6,949 individuals watched over a handful of years that linked weight change to relationship status.

Statistics about being single

42%: Number of Americans over the age of 18 that are single.  This includes people who have never married and people who are divorced or windowed.

Source:  U.S. Census Bureau.  All of the below stats are also from this source unless noted.

Statistics about being single

92 million: Number of single adults in America.

Statistics about being single

Women:  There are more single women then men.

Statistics about being single

60%:  Percentage of the single Americans 18 and older who have never been married

Statistics about being single

25%:   Percentage of the single Americans 18 and older who are divorced

Statistics about being single

15%:   Percentage of the single Americans 18 and older who are widowed

Statistics about being single

16%:   Percentage of single Americans who are aged 65 and older (15 million)

Statistics about being single

44%:   Percentage of U.S. households maintained by singles (50.7 millions homes)

Statistics about being single

27%:   Percentage of all American householders with a single person living on his/her own (30.5 million people)

Statistics about being single

2.5 million Number of single fathers in 2006, up from 400,000 in 1970.

10.4 million Number of single mothers living with children younger than 18, up from 3.4 million in 1970.

Source: America’s Families and Living Arrangements: 2006

Statistics about being single

Have a statisitic about being single to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Informational On My Own Video