Featured Blogs about On My Own

Singles share thoughts on relationships and living On My Own.

Contact Stage of Life as a Featured BloggerBefore reading the below essays submitted by our featured bloggers...

Do you write?  Do you have your own blog?  Do you want a national venue to share your thoughts and advice?  Contact Us if you want to be considered as a Featured Blogger on Stage of Life in the On My Own stage.

On My Own Blog Archive

Wanderlust

Posted by: michness on 04/03/2013

The one thing I regret from my college experience was opting not to study abroad. I was ahead in credits and had the chance to study or do an internship in London for a semester, but I decided not to at the last minute because I didn't want to take out any loans to fund the trip. Although I'm glad I graduated college debt free, I've found that I've been itching to live in another country--for a month, for a semester, for a year, for forever? Who knows?

Spam for Singletons

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 06/13/2012

I’ve never had a spam issue and I now know how lucky I am. But that changed when I fell for a free airline ticket enticement on Facebook. I backed out of the offer, but not before giving my email address to 800,000 spammers. Now I get 25-50 every day, which doesn’t sound like much unless you don’t usually get spammed. They go into my spam folder, but I check through them to make sure nothing legit went there in error. I suppose I could change my address, but my email is my business address and ... Read More

Is “Single” Tattooed on my Forehead?

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 04/30/2012

After many years of marriage, I’m divorced, in the “non-elective” single category. Although there are aspects of being single that are appealing, it wasn’t my idea, I often don’t like it and it’s been a big adjustment. Settling into this new life is especially challenging when you have constant reminders that for many people, single=loser. Since I continue to be a slow-adapter in this area, I’m probably hyper-alert to the discriminatory tendencies of the hooked-up demographic. But it’s very rea... Read More

Are You Too Old for a Roomie?

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 04/18/2012

Eating Before Bed, Not So Bad...

Posted by: Karl on 04/10/2012

I always find myself laying in bed wide awake at night, struggling to fall asleep. I never imagined it could be because of the the bowl of ice cream I eat while watching my favorite show or the soda with dinner. As far as sleep quality is concerned, midnight snacks aren’t always a bad idea. Just make sure you eat the right stuff.

Spring Cleaning? You’re Kidding, Right?

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 03/30/2012

I’m really not a slob and my house isn’t that dirty if you don’t look too close. But recently, the late afternoon sun started hitting some of my furniture, revealing some interesting dust patterns. I was surprised no one had written “wash me” as a hint to get out the dust rag. But since I live alone, that wouldn’t happen unless I had any clean-freak friends. Fortunately, most of my friends have a high tolerance for mess in my house. Well, except for my pal who has a cleaning side business, but ... Read More

Refi Madness

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 03/21/2012

Getting engaged?

Posted by: mcoly618 on 03/14/2012

As a female, in my twenties, I often day dream about my engagement/wedding. If you are like me, you have probably looked at engagement rings a time or two and have the perfect one in mind. However, our significant others may have no clue where to begin. I found these helpful engagement ring tips on ICE's blog.

Yes, I DO Need 2,500 Sq. Ft.

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 02/28/2012

Although I’ve admitted to condo envy, I found myself recently defending my choice to stay in my home. At almost 2,500 square feet it’s a bit big for just me and an 8-lb. cat. But he and I like our space. After all, there are so many possible spots for naps. But it wasn’t just my mother, living happily in a tiny house who speculated on why I’d want such a large house. Admittedly, it’s a lot of work for one person to manage (I can’t seem to interest the cat in learning to vacuum). But there are a... Read More

Helping Others This Holiday Season

Posted by: Penelope on 12/23/2011

As a future-mom (I'm not pregnant now but would like to have a family someday), I wanted to share this information with others who can help. Every year, thousands of people of all ages are diagnosed with leukemia and other life-threatening diseases. Without a bone marrow transplant or cord blood, many of them will die. FACT: 70% of people do not have a donor in their family and depend on the Be The Match Registry® to find a match to save their life.

Here is where you come in...

When I was Single...

Posted by: Penelope on 11/30/2011

Looking back at when I was single and just graduated college, I remember how much I loved free stuff. When I came across this sweepstake from Bare Necessities, I knew I had to share it with the On My Own members.

Single, Need a New Bra, and Lingerie Wardrobe?

Posted by: Kylie on 11/10/2011

As a single female, living on my own, I struggle to go shopping let alone go on dates. In an effort to help my bra and lingerie wardrobe, I found this great sweepstakes by Bare Necessities.

Pick-Up Lines: The Pursuit of Youth

Posted by: riserthinking on 10/08/2011

It can be argued that chivalry is dead. In pondering about this, I know what is very much alive: caution. Taking public transportation as my primary mode of getting around, I have encountered men who seemed to be looking for dates. They had the same pick-up line combination: “What your name? How old are you?” How old am I?? I guess age would be an issue considering the fact that the men were probably twice my age already. Many times it was obvious that I was already in college: the university ... Read More

21st Birthday

Posted by: gabsrcl on 09/24/2011

On Wednesday, I celebrated a milestone birthday. I turned 21. To most people this means tons of drinking, partying, and all around irresponsibility. To me, it meant that I have to get up and intern the next day so I am definitely not drinking. I live with my parents, still, and my little sister is still here. I don't feel right getting completely inebriated just to come home and disturb them. However, we are going out this weekend, so the balance is going to be thin. Ahh, the joys of growing up... Read More

Finding a Bra that Actually Does It's Job

Posted by: Kylie on 09/21/2011

As a single woman, I don't have a lot of money to spend on bras. I know how important it is to find the right bra instead of wasting money on a bunch of bras that don't do the job. Check out these great tips for finding the right bra from BareNecessities.com. These tips helped me a lot and I bet they can help other single ladies like me...

Who Inspires You?

Posted by: gabsrcl on 08/30/2011

Lately, every celebrity interview I read they are talking about who inspired them to become the person they are. Who was your role model back in the day? Well, now I am flipping the table a bit. Who inspires you?

A Learning Experience

Posted by: mcoly618 on 08/26/2011

My life has taken some major twists and turns since we last chatted, but I'm growing as an adult, woman, and overall human being. I have encountered people and conversations that have made me laugh and cry and feel everything emotion in between.

Wanted: Roommates

Posted by: gabsrcl on 08/02/2011

I've come to the conclusion that parents make home life too comfortable. If they were rude, uninviting, and didn't provide every necessity, people would move out faster.

When Did I Become an adult?

Posted by: gabsrcl on 06/22/2011

I have to say, being in your early twenties is a confusing state of life. As a teenager, I thought I was so "misunderstood." I realize now that was just the beginning. You see, as a young twenty-something, you aren't a teenager anymore, so people view you as more responsible. However, they don't truly view you as an adult yet either. It's a lose-lose situation.

If you’d like to make a call, please hang up and dial again

Posted by: KirstenD on 05/18/2011

Yup okay. I’m here. I wish I could say I’m smiling from ear to ear, that my transition back to New York has been amazing and magical and that I 100% know I’ve done the right thing by coming back here. But the truth is I’m suffering a wicked bout of whiplash for which there is no fashionable foamy collar. If you’ve ever moved to New York maybe you know what I mean. Especially if you’ve moved from an area where you would drive, like I did. Now I walk. I walk the streets with lots of other ... Read More

Do-Over

Posted by: KirstenD on 05/04/2011

May 4, 2011 8:00 a.m.

My name is Kirsten. I am 36 years old. I’m single. I lost my career path somewhere between the Limelight and 9/11. I thought I’d find it by coming home to Minnesota but instead I found a dead end and an extra 50 pounds. Most people my age are married (some for the second time), they have kids, and they seem incredibly content. At least that’s what their Facebooks tell me. I envy their status updates, their rosy-cheeked children, and clear paths.
Read More

Preparing for a Departure

Posted by: 4thandLife on 04/23/2011

I went to a small town college, where I made some of the best friends in the world. But the problem when you go to a small town college is that after graduation, it’s hard to end up all together. And then there’s my friends that I made before college, and they’re spread out too. And yet, one of them ended up in the same city as me. I don’t know when we met, but I do remember her being at my birthday parties in junior high, and I know that we knew each other long before that. And I know tha... Read More

Hershey Kiss Syndrome

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 04/10/2011

They said it would not affect me
But it did so much so
The germs turned into sickness
a sickness stubborn to grow

It turned out fine in most things
But the one that mattered most
Enflamed the ones I cared for
And struck out off the coast

Now what is left for future
And who is left for me
Now who would want a student
Whose major got a B

If only I could be given time
And only time to tell

Letter to a Stranger

Posted by: Shebajc on 04/07/2011

I've embarked upon a 30-Day Letter Writing Challenge, only I'm writing mine about once a month. The letters are difficult, each for their own reason. This one has been on my brain for several weeks as I tried to define the word "stranger." I have people I could write about, whom I've interacted with on-line but never met. Ultimately I followed Merriam-Webster's definition: "a person or thing that is unknown or with whom one is unacquainted." The next question was, what stranger has made enough ... Read More

Saving My Life in 27 Days

Posted by: smartwriter on 03/31/2011

“Addiction” is defined as “the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.” In other words, its when you just can’t find the will inside yourself to say NO.