Did You Know: Married Without Kids

Statistics about Marriage

Statistics about Marriage

Stage of Life features statistics about marriage and newlyweds. Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  If you have a statistic about marriage and newlyweds to share, Contact Us along with the source and we'll determine if it should be placed on the Married without Kids Statistics page.  Good reading...

Facts & Figures on Marriage

Trends and Statistics about Marriage

Statistics about Marriage 

Intermarriage Statistics:

About 15% of all new marriages in the United States in 2010 were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity from one another, more than double the share in 1980 (6.7%).

Among all newlyweds in 2010, 9% of whites, 17% of blacks, 26% of Hispanics and 28% of Asians married out.

Looking at all married couples in 2010, regardless of when they married, the share of intermarriages reached an all-time high of 8.4%. In 1980, that share was just 3.2%.

GENDER DIFFERENCES:
About 24% of all black male newlyweds in 2010 married outside their race, compared with just 9% of black female newlyweds.

Among Asians, the gender pattern runs the other way. About 36% of Asian female newlyweds married outside their race in 2010, compared with just 17% of Asian male newlyweds.

Intermarriage rates among white and Hispanic newlyweds do not vary by gender.

REGIONAL DIFFERENCES:
22% of all newlyweds in Western states married someone of a different race or ethnicity between 2008 and 2010, compared with 14% in the South, 13% in the Northeast and 11% in the Midwest.

IS INTERMARRIAGE GOOD FOR SOCIETY?
43% of Americans say that more people of different races marrying each other has been a change for the better in our society, while 11% say it has been a change for the worse and 44% say it has made no difference.

PUBLIC ACCEPTANCE OF INTERMARRIAGE
35% of Americans say that a member of their immediate family or a close relative is currently married to someone of a different race. Also, nearly two-thirds of Americans (63%) say it “would be fine” with them if a member of their own family were to marry someone outside their own racial or ethnic group.

SOURCE:  2012 Pew Research Center’s analysis of data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey (ACS) in 2008-2010 and on findings from three of the Pew Research Center’s own nationwide telephone surveys that explore public attitudes toward intermarriage.

Statistics about Marriage

66%: Percentage of divorces linked to Facebook.

Here are five safeguards couples can apply to Facebook and other social networks:

• Assess who you talk to the most. Is it a good mixture of men and women? Do you favor one friend over the others?

• Make your expectations very clear to your online friends.

• Do not engage in an intimate online conversation with someone who is not your spouse.

• Couples should set parameters about how much time and when they are online each day. If you're using Facebook at 2 a.m. when everyone else in the household is asleep, this could be the sign of a problem.

• Share your Facebook password with your spouse and vice-versa. That way you both know your Facebook private messages are not secret.

SOURCE:  American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)

Statistics about Marriage

Marriage Sex Statistics

44%:  Percentage of married couples who "are fully satisfied with their sex lives."

Over 50%: Percentage of couples over 65 years old who are having sex more than once a week.

39%: Percentage of people who are looking for more love and romance in their marriage.

36%: Percentage of married couples that would like more quality time with their partner.

Source:  2Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey -- Sexual Satisfaction (2010) Highlights010 Pew Research Center Report

Statistics about Marriage Marriage does contribute to bliss; it's a better predictor of happiness than having money or children.

SOURCE: Time July 8 / July 15, 2013

Statistics about Marriage Republicans are happier than Democrats; Republicans are also more likely to be married and religious.

SOURCE: Time July 8 / July 15, 2013

Statistics about Marriage

22%Percentage of U.S. wives who earned more than their husbands, up from 4% in 1970.

Source:  2010 Pew Research Center Report

Statistics about Marriage

70%Percentage of women who say they are less financially dependent on their spouses than their mothers were.

Source:  Time Magazine Poll, Oct. 2009

Statistics about Marriage

3.3 millionNumber of married couples in the US in which the wife is the sole earner.  That's 2.4 million more than in 1970.

Source:  Time Magazine - Oct. 26th, 2009

Statistics about Marriage

230%Increased likelihood of both members of a married couple being obese, compared with dating partners.  New new study links domestic blish to serious weight gain, i.e. the old expression, "We're fat and happy."

Source:  July 2009 Issue of Obesity - new research study of 6,949 individuals watched over a handful of years that linked weight change to relationship status.

Statistics about Marriage

62.6 millionNumber of married women in 2007.

Source: 2007 American Community Survey <http://factfinder.census.gov>

Statistics about Marriage

18%:  Percentage of married couples in which the wife earned at least $5,000 more than the husband in 2007. 

Source: U.S. Census - Families and Living Arrangements: 2007 

Statistics about Marriage

23%:  Percentage of married couples in which the wife had more education than the husband in 2007. 

Source:  U.S. Census - Families and Living Arrangements: 2007

Statistics about Marriage

Have a statistic about marriage to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Relationship Infographic

Informational Married Without Kids Video