Teens and the News

Teens and the News - StageofLife.com Teen Trend ReportStageofLife.com Trend Report:  What news stories are teenagers most passionate about, and why?

There is a LOT going on in the world.  For instance, the day we posted this particular monthly writing contest (April 1st, 2013), the following headlines jumped out at teens from the front page...

• Nuclear armed North Korea's aggressive militaristic talk
  • North Dakota passes most restrictive abortion bill in US history
  • US Supreme Court debates gay marriage
  • Cyprus Banks and Economic issues in the Euro Zone
  • Pope includes women for first time in Holy Thursday rite
  • US Senate group resolves key immigration issues to move ahead with overhaul of US immigration policy
  • China's losing battle against polluters
  • Impassioned plea for gun control legislation
  • NCAA Basketball Tournament enters Final 4
  • Obamacare Becoming Reality
  • ...and many others

With so much happening, we were curious about which news stories were most important to teens and college students.  This page outlines the national teen trend report from StageofLife.com addressing the data, survey results, insights, and essays submitted by teens and college students during Stage of Life's monthly national poll and writing contest that asked thousands of students the question...

"What Current National or International News Story Do You Think More Teens and College Students Should Care About, and Why?"  

Teens and News - Trend Report Overview:
  • Teen Trend Summary - Teens and the NewsVISITS:  Over 6,000 teens and college students visited the StageofLife.com student poll and writing contest during the month's writing prompt (April 2013) from across the US (all 50 states) and dozens of international countries.
  • TEENS and SURVEY DATA:  389 students fully completed the national survey sharing their thoughts about current events and how they consume news. 
  • ESSAY THEMES:  Dozens of topics were discussed, but five major themes were collectively revealed by teens in their news story essays. 
  • STUDENT ESSAYS:  Over 150 student bloggers submitted a qualifying essay to the Teens and News national writing contest answering the question, "What Current National or International News Story Do You Think More Teens and College Students Should Care About, and Why?"  
  • ESSAY WINNER:  1 winner, 13 Runner's Up, and 20 Semi-Finalists were selected. 

Background:  Keeping the above news headlines in mind (and others that teens might have recently read, seen, or heard during the contest validity period [April 1, 2013 - April 30, 2013), we asked students to answer the Stage of Life writing contest prompt question in 500 words or less while addressing these questions in their essay in a CREATIVE manner...

• What is the particular news story are you most passionate about?
  • Why do you care about it so much?
  • Why should other young people care more about this news story?
  • Is there anything you, or others, can do to help make a difference in the outcome of this news story?

Below are the essays and the data from the corresponding national poll about Teens and the News...

PART I - TEENS AND NEWS STATISTICS - SURVEY RESULTS

Statistics about how teens get their newsBefore submitting their StageofLife.com writing contest essay, teens were asked to complete the Stage of Life monthly national survey about the news and how they get their news.  Here are the teen statistics from the survey...
  • 83.5% of teens pay attention to the news
  • 41.6% of teens read the newspaper
  • 35.5% of teens watch TV news at least once per day, while 25% state they "rarely" or "never" watch TV news
  • 1 out of 2 teens get their news from Network TV (CBS, NBC, ABC, or FOX).  When asked about all of the possible sources through which teens consume news, they identified the following news outlets (they were allowed to select all that applied)...
    • Network TV News - NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.:  50.9%
    • Cable TV News - CNN, FOX NEWS, MSNBC, etc.:  47.6%
    • Word of Mouth from Friends: 46.8%
    • Web News Sites - Reuters, CNN.com, etc.: 42.7%
    • Radio - NPR, Rush, Hannity, etc.: 37.0%
    • Newspaper:  32.6%
    • Websites:  24.9%
    • News Magazines - TIME, US News & World Report, etc.:  21.1%
    • News-Based Blogs - Huffington Post, Drudge Report, Slate, etc.:  19.8%
    • I Never Watch, Hear, or See the News:  2.3%
  • North Korea, Gay Marriage, and Gun Control Legislation were the top three news story topics that most interested teens.
  • 65.3% of teens say that the news stresses them out or makes them worry
  • 91% of teens see their parents watching or reading the news
Teens and the News - Survey DataTo read the full national survey results and see the statistics on teenagers about current news stories and events, click the PDF icon to save the free download.

VIDEO SUMMARY OF OUR TEENS & NEWS STATISTICS

PART II - TEENS & NEWS ESSAY THEMES

After taking the national Stage of Life teen survey, students submitted their writing contest essays to StageofLife.com.  From the 150+ qualifying teen essay submissions, several themes and trends emerged about how students passionately feel about particular news stories:

Themes and Trends from the Teen News Essays...

• Teens and the News - Essays and Statistics on StageofLife.comThe Importance of Being Informed: While all teens agreed that the news can sometimes be depressing, it is vitally important to stay informed. By learning about domestic and world events, teens get a better and broader perspective on their own lives. As one teen put it, “The world does not revolve around [us].”
  • Strong Opinions: No matter the news topic, all teens had incredibly strong opinions. Something was right, or something was wrong. There was not a lot of gray area in this writing contest, which shows that teens are able to rationalize and justify their own opinions—but they are also sometimes unwilling to hear the “other side.”
  • American News: A majority of teens chose to write about issues based in the US. This news was the most accessible to teens, and therefore was the easiest news stories to relate to and form an opinion about. Not to say teens didn’t care about what was happening in the rest of the world, but there was a significant preference shown to American news stories.
  • News is Continually Happening: When the contest opened in the beginning of April, several news topics that were discussed later in the month had not yet happened. The most notable of these issues was the Boston Marathon bombings. This just goes to show that news is continually happening—every day, news is made—and teens need to stay up to date with current events.
  • Most Popular News Topics: Teens submitted about a variety of news topics, but the most popular topics were the Boston bombings, Gay Marriage, and North Korea. It seems that “big” issues that affect (or have the potential to affect) teens were the most discussed. 

PART III - READ THE TEEN NEWS ESSAYS

Teens Blog on StageofLife.comImmediately below, you'll find links to the StageofLife.com winning essay, our runners-up, semi-finalists, and 150+ essays from college students and teenagers about the news stories about which they are most passionate.  The teens essays have been organized by news topic

Please take a few moments to read an essay or two, especially our winners, runners-up, and finalists.

If you have the time, make a comment on the responses you enjoyed the most.  We know the student writers will love hearing your positive input (they'll get an email notifying them if you comment on their writing contest entry).

Stage of Life writing contest winnerTeen & College Essay Contest Winner and Place Finishers:

Special Thanks:  A special thanks goes out to Rebecca Thiegs, StageofLife.com co-Founder, and the 16 students in her 4th period honors English class at Red Lion Area Senior High School in Red Lion, PA, who helped judge this month's writing contest.  In addition to our 24 Stage of Life Editors, these young honors students gave their wisdom and votes to our writing contest judging process this month.  NOTE - None of those students were participants in the contest nor did they know any of the writers for whom they were reading.

9 Runners-Up (in no particular order):
StageofLife.com student essay writers - Runners Up
  1. In the News: Learning Tolerance Through ND Abortion Laws by Nyamekye (Reality doesn’t always mesh well with principle)  

2. In the News: The Economic Sky is Falling, Somewhere Else by mikema63 (We cannot ignore the problems of the world)

3. In the News: The Rising Cost of Education by KL94 (College requires serious thought and a serious paycheck)

4. In the News: Global warming, 2012: hottest year on record by bowen42 (Teens tend not to care about issues that they feel a disconnect with)

5. In the News: Gay Marriage by K.E. Nave (People fall back on spiritual arguments against gay marriage because there is no good logical argument)

6. In the News: Gun Control by Mjmts (Moderate views should be given more consideration)

7. In the News: There’s No Place Like Home by amanda.tucker (We should focus more on local issues instead of foreign affairs)

8. In the News: The Topless of the FEMEN Movement by SorellaLark (FEMEN is a new breed of feminism)

9. In the News: Stop the Ignorant Flow by IsabellaPow (The world doesn’t revolve around you)

StageofLife.com teen essay writers - Semi-Finalists20 Semi-Finalists (in no particular order):
  1. In the News: The Explosions Heard Around the World by luke.avenel98 (The heroism of everyday people at the marathon bombings should the goodness in the world)  

2. In the News: Alternative Fuel Sources by jacob.broussard.376 (Fossil fuels are due to run out by 2060)  

3. In the News: The Debate on Legalizing Gay Marriage by torimykell95 (This LDS teen loves her church and supports gay marriage) 

4. In the News: Gay Marriage Affects You How? by mdexter15 (Teens need to stop regurgitating what their parents think and think for themselves—gay marriage doesn’t hurt anyone)  

5. In the News: GOP threats filibuster gun bill, highlight what is wrong with our government by awdavis2014 (Special interest groups are too involved in the government)  

6. In the News: Democrats Doleful Over Gun Control by Kit B (The American people can help overturn a bad decision) 

7. In the News: U.S. Immigration Issues by lexie0113 (Our immigration system is far from perfect)

8. In the News: Bangladesh Building Crash by welcome2mysillylife (It’s important to be aware of issues around the world)  

9. In the News: The inextricable tie between foreign and domestic affairs by OliviaZZZ5 (Events happening around the world will inevitably affect America) 

10. In the News: It Started from Thatch by REENA (Thatcher, the “Iron Lady”, left behind an important belief in the UK)  

11. In the News: Anonymous and CISPA by RedTwist (CISPA allows the government to collect personal information without a warrant)

12. In the News: The Science by Papples (He hopes more news outlets will begin to focus on science news)  

13. In the News: Growing Desensitization to Death in America by AsiaStewart (News of atrocities and death little astonish American people)

14. In the News: North Korea’s Threats… Should We Be Worried? by Cardellichio (It is important to remain calm)

15. In the News: Just Because There Aren’t Nukes Involved Doesn’t Mean We Shouldn’t Care by catdiggedydog (North Korea is the center of a horrible human rights crisis) 

16. In the News: North Korea’s threats with no basis of evidence by adeliemelon (We may take action too late) 

17. In the News: A young girl is dead—teen bullying is to blame by jenx817 (Don’t ever victim blame)

18. In the News: The Syrian Crisis by kristintrusz (This teen represented Syria during Model UN Conference)  

19. In the News: The Tragedy of the Fertilizer Plant Explosion Leaves Americans Speechless by a_frank14 (This tragedy could have been easily prevented)  

20. In the News: Tragedy in Tibet by Dash (This news is highly underrepresented)

WINNERS - NON-STUDENT ENTRIES

We received submissions on this writing prompt from many of the life stages and generations on StageofLife.com.  Here are the Fear Essay Contest Winners from our non-student categories...

Teens and the News - StageofLife.com Teen Trend Report

StageofLIfe.com writing contest submissions

Read All Qualifying Teen & College Essays for the National StageofLife.com Writing Contest
- "What Current National or International News Story Do You Think More Teens and College Students Should Care About, and Why?"

The essays below were written by Stage of Life teen writers for the monthly writing contest and are listed alphabetically by News story topic.

Teens' Views on Abortion

1. In the News by hoythunter (He considers abortion the taking of a life)

2. In the News: Learning Tolerance Through ND Abortion Laws by Nyamekye (Reality doesn’t always mesh well with principle)

3. In the News: Abortion by september27 (This law could change family planning methods)

4. In the News: Abortion laws are changing and so are people’s opinions by alexecott (This teen believes abortion is killing)

Teens' Views on the Boston Bombing

1. In the News: Boston Marathon Explosions by Billy24 (This was a senseless tragedy)

2. In the News: Thoughts to Ponder about the Boston Marathon Bombing by shein8110 (Light still shines in a dark world)

3. In the News: Terror, Justice, Unity, and Bigotry by awdavis2014 (Do not irrationally fear or hate Muslims)

4. In the News by littlebubba397 (This was a tragic event that should never happen again)

5. In the News: The Explosions Heard Around the World by luke.avenel98 (The heroism of everyday people at the marathon bombings should the goodness in the world)

6. In the News: The Boston Bombings by mattgalll (Live in the moment)

7. In the News: Life in America is Not as Safe as We Thought by rmer317 (We should not let tragedy affect our traditions)

8. In the News: Boston Bombing by colinross9 (We as a nation should act together)

9. In the News: Boston Bombings May Impact Immigration Debate by michaelseenappa (Immigration laws should be based on person, not on background)

10. In the News: The Boston Bombing by [email protected] (Build Boston back up)

11. In the News: Heroism in Boston by KSullivan (The real heroes of this tragedy are law enforcement)

12. In the News: Boston Bombing by ec96299 (Young people should help those hurt in the Boston bombing)

13. In the News: The Boston Bombing by janayegreen (The world is counting on us to make a difference)

14. In the News: The Boston Marathon Bombing by carlygoehring (It is time to step up and show we care)

15. In the News: The Boston Marathon Bombing has been a hot topic as of lately by Colin Flederbach (The media sensationalizes events)

16. In the News: Boston Bombing: Be the Helpers by jklawls (Her faith in humanity is restored)

17. In the News: The Boston Incident by misosoupp01 (“What has the world come to?”)

18. In the News: A Bombing Affects a Nation by tigers29 (We will never back down from a threat)

19. In the News: Bombings at the Boston Marathon by newguy123 (The two suspects were young people)

20. In the News: The Boston Bombings by Chase (We should focus more on the acts of heroism than the killers)

21. In the News: How Safe Are We? by PKCameron (The government can’t protect us from everything)

Teens' Views on the Economy

1. In the News: The Economic Sky is Falling, Somewhere Else by mikema63 (We cannot ignore the problems of the world)

2. In the News: The Economy by Eugene (Welfare is bad)

3. In the News: What Seems Insignificant Could be Important by Linz466 (We should pay attention to the Euro Zone)

4. In the News: Will Social Security Always be There? by k_marie_11 (Teens should begin saving for retirement now)

Teens' Views on Education

1. In the News: The Rising Cost of Education by KL94 (College requires serious thought and a serious paycheck)

2. In the News: Cost of Higher Education Skyrockets as More and More Families Fail to Afford College by dmac0821 (Higher education must be cheaper)

Teens' Views on Environment

1. In the News: Alternative Fuel Sources by jacob.broussard.376 (Fossil fuels are due to run out by 2060)

2. In the News: Fracking affecting the world by shakeandbake (We need to change the way we obtain energy)

3. In the News: Global warming, the ultimate meltdown by Raven-book (The future will reap the consequences of global warming)

4. In the News: No Air to Go by Wonderwelle (China and Taiwan face dangerous air hazards)

5. In the News: Global warming, 2012: hottest year on record by bowen42 (Teens tend not to care about issues that they feel a disconnect with)

Teens' Views on Gay Marriage

1. In the News: US Government debates gay marriage by Junisha27 (Gay marriage will not “do anything” for teens or the future)

2. In the News: The Fight For Gay Rights by literarylife (Banning gay marriage will restrict rights)

4. In the News: Fighting for gay rights by jumble1 (This teen doesn’t see what the big deal is: if people love each other, let them get married)

5. In the News: How the Topic of Gay Marriage Conflicts with My Life by mellearn1 (This Christian teen thinks being gay is choice)

6. In the News: Homosexual Marriage by otaku94 (God doesn’t dictate this nation’s policies)

7. In the News: I’m most interested in the gay rights debate by mblackhorse7 (This teen wishes more people would have an open mind)

8. In the News: The Debate Over Gay Marriage by LeaahH23 (Gay marriage is no big deal)

9. In the News: The debate over gay marriage by Swagilicious (Marriage is a legal right)

10. In the News: Gay Marriage Should Not Even Be a Debate by Jeanine Abbate (“We were all created equal by the same God”)

11. In the News: Gay Marriage by K.E. Nave (People fall back on spiritual arguments against gay marriage because there is no good logical argument)

12. In the News: Gay Marriage by rgzarate (The US is based on freedom that gays should have too)

13. In the News: Is being gay wrong? by Stephanie227 (Being gay is a choice, but people should respect that choice and let gay people be happy)

14. In the News: US Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage by kfr094 (This teens supports equal rights for all)

15. In the News: Gay Marriage by Lb34 (Children are better brought up by a mother and a father)

16. In the News: Same-sex Marriage by Storkydancer33 (“Marriage in this world is not the same marriage in my religion”)

17. In the News: Gay Marriage Affects You How? by mdexter15 (Teens need to stop regurgitating what their parents think and think for themselves—gay marriage doesn’t hurt anyone)

18. In the News: Same Sex Marriage by eshkii (People come to America to escape religious persecution… so why persecute gay people?)

19. In the News: Gay marriage by justinsmith333 (It is not the government’s place to decide who can get married)

20. In the News: Why are you for or against gay marriage legislation? by Nyamekye (Controlling a person’s capacity to make a decision is very undemocratic)

21. In the News: U.S. Senate Debate Gay Marriage by my_life13 (The senate should be focused on more important things)

22. In the News: Gay Rights by rosiebentlet3 (This teen vowed to not get married until gay couples are afforded the same rights)

23. In the News: The right to be happy by Rosie_Frank2 (Gay people shouldn’t get married, they should have civil unions)

24. In the News: Gay marriage—be your fabulous self by ggpuddin (How can a gay person like themselves if people constantly tell them they are a disgrace)

25. In the News: The Debate on Gay Marriage Heats Up by awagner (Gay people should be equal in regard to marriage and adoption)

26. In the News: Do you feel everyone should be happy? Well, not supporting gay marriage says otherwise by LaurenBush (Children of lesbian parents are more well-adjusted than children of straight parents)

27. In the News: The Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage by SpencerWilken123 (His religion defines his beliefs)

28. In the News: Marriage is coming closer to being the right it always should have been by nereen (This teen hopes more people will become accepting of gay people)

29. In the News: The US Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage: The Debate That Never Was by TheGirlWhuRuns (This teen doesn’t like the labeling of sexual orientations)

Teens' Views on Gun Control

1. In the News: Obama pushes for gun control by sugar95 (Criminals won’t listen to laws)

2. In the News: Gun rights by nick halden (We need guns to protect ourselves from criminals)

3. In the News: Gun Control May Cause Problems in the Future by AlyssaMarie600 (Taking away guns may cause a revolution)

4. In the News: Gun Control by golf girl (Guns are not an issue if you use them the right way)

5. In the News: Gun Control by ellie95 (This teen agrees that there should be stricter background checks on gun purchases)

6. In the News: Gun control by kellie95 (Guns can be a good thing)

7. In the News: Gun Control Hits Home by elizcartmill (We need stricter gun laws for our safety)

8. In the News: GOP threats filibuster gun bill, highlight what is wrong with our government by awdavis2014 (Special interest groups are too involved in the government)

9. In the News: Gun rights by youngcashee (Leave gun rights alone)

10. In the News: Gun rights by philip27 (Guns are not the problem, people are)

11. In the News: Democrats Doleful Over Gun Control by Kit B (The American people can help overturn a bad decision)

12. In the News: Gun control by ashlyshum (Strict gun control will only make chaos increase)

13. In the News: Gun control debates as a result of the Sandy Hook incident by mparlagreco (The most important way to make an impact is to vote)

14. In the News: Newtown families make impassioned plea for gun control legislation by Tyler Hammett (Society must understand why gun violence occurs)

15. In the News: Terrorism in America by jonathon (Enact harsher punishments on criminals)

16. In the News: Gun Control and Ignorance by ghong10 (Only we are to blame for government failures)

17. In the News: Gun Control by Mjmts (Moderate views should be given more consideration)

Editor NOTE:  If you're interested in this topic, make sure to read the 2013 Teens and Guns Statistics and Summary Report from StageofLife.com

Teens' Views on Immigration

1. In the News: Immigrants by rkm_ginger (Illegal immigrants are bad for America)

2. In the News: U.S. Immigration Issues by lexie0113 (Our immigration system is far from perfect)

Teens' Views on March Madness

1. In the News: March Madness!! Syracuse Orangemen!! by Ammon Mitchell (This teen is eager to see the Orange take on Michigan)

2. In the News: March Madness by littlefolidune (This tournament could be called the “Upset Tournament”)

Teens' Views on News (General/Misc.)

1. In the News: Teens Should Care More by munchell (Watching the news can be hard, but it’s important)

2. In the News: Chavez is gone, what’s next? by vandev97 (The outcome of the Venezuelan election may determine future gas prices)

3. In the News: Shining brighter than the spotlight but for all the wrong reasons by jessicawang727 (Her friend committed suicide as a result of bullying)

4. In the News: Ban against sugary drinks in New York City by Bryce Jenkins (You cannot legislate behavior)

5. In the News: Students, sorry protesting students, arrested in Chile by Ariana (Students were protesting the new education minister)

6. In the News: Safety First by bschmidt (By staying informed, we can be ready and prepared when danger strikes)

7. In the News: Bangladesh Building Crash by welcome2mysillylife (It’s important to be aware of issues around the world)

8. In the News: The inextricable tie between foreign and domestic affairs by OliviaZZZ5 (Events happening around the world will inevitably affect America)

9. In the News: A Subpar Medical System by shay2013 (Our healthcare system is about to dramatically change)

10. In the News: Why should we care about the news? by robert041 (It is important to be educated)

11. In the News: Anti-Bullying Tactics Prompt Young Girls to Kiss Each Other by DanielD (The school overstepped parents’ permissions)

12. In the News: It Started from Thatch by REENA (Thatcher, the “Iron Lady”, left behind an important belief in the UK)

13. In the News: Anonymous and CISPA by RedTwist (CISPA allows the government to collect personal information without a warrant)

14. In the News: There’s No Place Like Home by amanda.tucker (We should focus more on local issues instead of foreign affairs)

15. In the News: The Science by Papples (He hopes more news outlets will begin to focus on science news)

16. In the News: Growing Desensitization to Death in America by AsiaStewart (News of atrocities and death little astonish American people)

17. In the News: The Topless of the FEMEN Movement by SorellaLark (FEMEN is a new breed of feminism)

18. In the News: Stop the Ignorant Flow by IsabellaPow (The world doesn’t revolve around you)

19. In the News: Obamacare: Negative or Positive Proposition? by nfkhan (It is important to educate yourself on issues)

Teens' Views on North Korea

1. In the News: North Korea wants to go to war with the US? by [email protected] (This teen thinks we need to make a treaty with North Korea)

2. In the News: North Korea’s Threats… Should We Be Worried? by Cardellichio (It is important to remain calm)

3. In the News: Should We Go To War With North Korea? by Smiley (This teen decided to join the Marines instead of going to culinary school)

4. In the News: North Korea vs. USA by daniel95 (This teen is worried about the threats)

5. In the News by asdfgjkl; (The North Korean people are unnecessarily suffering)

6. In the News: North Korea by colinmace.webster (If we go to war with North Korea, this teen thinks the US should reinstate the draft)

7. In the News by jmc488 (This teen doesn’t want to see the draft reinstated)

8. In the News: North Korea Doesn’t Understand the Consequences by Kid_Lightning11 (War is never the best option)

9. In the News: North Korea and their Absurd Missile Threat by [email protected] [email protected] (North Korea shouldn’t be taken as a threat, but we should still be ready)

10. In the News: North Korea by Mortal Couch (War is not something we need right now)

11. In the News: North Korea threatens US with nuclear warhead by chances123 (This issue could directly affect teens in the form of a draft)

12. In the News: The North Korea Threat by ERICNICHOLAS (We should try negotiating with China to avoid a conflict)

13. In the News: North Korea’s Nuclear Threats by julia4rio (What happens cannot be stopped, and that is scary)

14. In the News: Nuclear Dangers of North Korea by 95emack (Schools should focus more on current events)

15. In the News: North Korea threatens US by JuanTaco (Nobody wants to be nuked)

16. In the News: North Korea by 1001106 (If North Korea nuked us, teens would have to rethink their life paths)

17. In the News: The Reality of North Korea’s Threat by Sophia123 (North Korea is a bigger threat to itself than to America)

18. In the News: This is what happens when a 29-year-old is put in charge of a country by seenevermore (North Korea will be nothing more than a second Cold War)

19. In the News: North Korea by collinsbrian72 (This teen doesn’t want to fight a war)

20. In the News: Nuclear North Korea by jozieg (The US is prepared for an attack)

21. In the News: North Korea by jordan2013 (This teen is worried about what could happen)

22. In the News: Nuclear Problems by carloscafe (Any nuclear strike would be shot down before it reached the US)

23. In the News: North Korea by austinh (Pray for the best)

24. In the News: A Perspective on North Korea from a Korean-American International Student by allisonpark98 (Help North Korea, not hate or destroy)

25. In the News: The North Korean bombings by misosoupp01 (Many lives are at stake)

26. In the News: What to do with North Korea? by ar790 (This issue needs to be solved now)

27. In the News: The United States of America is not taking North Korea’s nuclear threats lightly by cham (Teens will be most affected by this issue)

28. In the News: Just Because There Aren’t Nukes Involved Doesn’t Mean We Shouldn’t Care by catdiggedydog (North Korea is the center of a horrible human rights crisis)

29. In the News: Nuclear armed North Korea’s aggressive militaristic tactic by Bearcat95 (The ecological system will be damaged, in addition to people)

30. In the News: North Korea by mandy393 (We need to take North Korea more seriously)

31. In the News: North Korea’s threats with no basis of evidence by adeliemelon (We may take action too late)

32. In the News: North Korea’s “Threats and Warnings” by KastofLight (Students should be aware of North Korea’s history)

Teens' Views on the Pope

1. In the News: We Have a Pope by jcress (This Pope wants to “reenergize” the church)

2. In the News: New Leadership in the Church by pconnolly (Acts of humility bring the world closer together)

Teens' Views on Rape

1. In the News: Rape by samgids10 (Rape is serious crime and should be treated as such)

2. In the News: A young girl is dead—teen bullying is to blame by jenx817 (Don’t ever victim blame)

3. In the News: No means no: Charges of rape from high school students in Ohio by rachelbowanko (Nothing other than a clear and explicit yes equals consent)

4. In the News: Stopping One Problem May Help Prevent the Next by Julie (Human sex trafficking must end)

Teens' Views on Syria

1. In the News: The Syrian Crisis by kristintrusz (This teen represented Syria during Model UN Conference)

2. In the News: A Crescent of Chaos by Napkin32 (Too many deaths are occurring daily)

Teens Views' on Texas Explosion

1. In the News: The Tragedy of the Fertilizer Plant Explosion Leaves Americans Speechless by a_frank14 (This tragedy could have been easily prevented)

Teens Views' on Tibet

1. In the News: (Not so much in the news) Tibetans Dying to be Heard by vanessa.chen5565 (Tibet is desperate to be free)

2. In the News: Tragedy in Tibet by Dash (This news is highly underrepresented)

Writing contests on StageofLife.comWriting Contests on Stage of Life

StageofLife.com hosts educational, national, monthly writing and blogging contests for teens and college students.  In its mission to provide students an authentic community to share their opinions and publish their ideas, StageofLife.com will strive to continue its commitment to giving teens and college students a larger voice. 

We welcome you to explore our writing contests, our mission and the literacy principals on which it Stage of Life was founded.

Comments

Let us know what you think!