Teens and their Moms - Letter to Mom

StageofLife.com Trend Report:  "Letter to Mom" - Share a special memory about your mother, grandmother, or an important woman in your life.

In honor of Mother's Day this month, we wanted to recognize and thank the women who helped raise us. We thought about your Mom, your Grandmother, or any special woman in your life who is or was a source of inspiration. Now close your eyes and think about what makes that woman special. What makes this woman special when you think about her?

Keeping those positive thoughts flowing, students and StageofLife.com bloggers submitted their essays that captured the essence of their feelings as they answered the writing prompt,

"Share a special memory about your mother, grandmother, or an important woman in your life."

Letter to Mom - Trend Report Overview:
  • Teen Trend Summary - Teens and the NewsVISITS:  Over 5,500 teens and college students visited the StageofLife.com writing contest during the month's writing prompt (May 2013) from across the US (all 50 states) and dozens of international countries.
  • TEENS and SURVEY DATA:  No survey data was collected for this month's topic.
  • ESSAY THEMES:  Dozens of topics were discussed, but four major themes were collectively revealed by teens in their Letter to Mom essays. 
  • STUDENT ESSAYS:  Over 100 student bloggers submitted a qualifying essay to the Letter to Mom national writing contest that asked students to, "Share a special memory about your mother, grandmother, or an important woman in your life."
  • ESSAY WINNER:  1 winner, 7 Runner's Up, and 19 Semi-Finalists were selected. 

Background:  Keeping Mother's Day in mind and thinking about that special woman in their life, we asked students to answer the Stage of Life writing contest prompt question in 500 words or less while addressing these questions in their essay in a CREATIVE manner...

• Is it her overall characteristics or personality?
  • Is it a memory of a specific event or moment (serious, sad, or humorous) you shared with your Mom that brings joy to your heart?
  • Was it something she said that has stuck with you?
  • What makes this woman special when you think about her?

Below are the essays from the national Letter to Mom essay contest...

PART I - LETTER TO MOM ESSAY THEMES

Students submitted their writing contest essays to StageofLife.com.  From the 100+ qualifying teen essay submissions, several themes and trends emerged about how students feel about that special woman in their life:

Themes and Trends from the Letter to Mom Essays...

• Care and Compassion: Mothers, above all else, love their children. When these teens are scared, their mothers reassure them. When these teens are happy, their mothers share in their joy. A mother is truly a gift.
  • Guidance and Wisdom: Many teens sought advice from their mothers that often led them to making the best possible decision in a sometimes sticky situation. Even when teens had a problem that they didn’t want to burden anyone with, moms often stepped in to help.
  • Encouragement and Strength: Adolescence is a difficult time. Between endless schoolwork, changing relationships, and newfound opportunities, teens sometimes need a push in the right direction. And that is where mothers come in: moms gave these teens courage to face their fears and follow their dreams.
  • Arguments and Fights: Of course, not everything is perfect in a relationship between teenager and mother. Almost all teens admitted to having regular squabbles with their mother. But even though there may be conflict, these teens gladly admit they love their mom.

PART II - READ THE LETTER TO MOM ESSAYS

Teens Blog on StageofLife.comImmediately below, you'll find links to the StageofLife.com winning essay, our runners-up, semi-finalists, and 100+ essays from college students and teenagers about the special woman in their lives.

Please take a few moments to read an essay or two, especially our winners, runners-up, and finalists.

If you have the time, make a comment on the responses you enjoyed the most.  We know the student writers will love hearing your positive input (they'll get an email notifying them if you comment on their writing contest entry).

Stage of Life writing contest winnerTeen & College Essay Contest Winner and Place Finishers:

Runners-Up (in no particular order):
StageofLife.com student essay writers - Runners Up
  1. Letter to Mom: From Jenny With Love by jenx817 (A letter to her mother, who prematurely passed away)

2. Letter to Mom: Defining This Relationship by nive.raghavan (Her relationship with her mom is something she can’t define)

3. Letter to Mom: Thank you for inspiring hope by emily.evenden (She remembers visiting her grandma in the hospital)

4. Letter to Mom: You’re the Best Gift Ever by SailsClark (Every act of kindness matters)

5. Letter to Mom: A Master at Everything by KellyNicolas (Her mom successfully earned her Master’s degree)

StageofLife.com teen essay writers - Semi-Finalists19 Semi-Finalists (in no particular order):
  1. Letter to Mom: An Unyielding Inspiration by sloanescott (No one works harder than this teen’s mom)
  2. Letter to Mom: All is Forgiven by Keylun 66 (She regrets the interactions she had with her mom)
  3. Letter to Mom: Loneliness Cured by SJH296 (Her mother is her savior from misery)
  4. Letter to Mom: As much as we dislike each other, I still love you by j1245 (Even though this teen and her mom don’t always get long, love always prevails)
  5. Letter to Mom: She Really is a Sensitive Person by emilie.mccoy.7 (Although losing her grandma was hard, it built a great relationship with her mom)
  6. Letter to Mom by shacora_ (Her mother tragically died of breast cancer)
  7. Letter to Mom: My Rock by BrittanyLynnJ (She survived a horrible car accident)
  8. Letter to Mom: Her smile is like the crescent moon in my night sky by girlwings (Poetry prose about her love for her mother)
  9. Letter to Mom: An Uplifting Angel by luisadiaz15 (Her mom left her old life behind in Mexico for a great new American opportunity)
  10. Letter to Mom: Sometimes You Should Think for Yourself First by conception (Her mom is a recovering addict)
  11. Letter to Mom: My grandmother and the qualities I try to live up to by awdavis2014 (This teen learned to be kind to strangers)
  12. Letter to Mom: Who Gave Me Everything by idreamy (Her mother supported her ice skating dream)
  13. Letter to Mom: Her Love by bnieto95 (Reminiscent on the day she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital)
  14. Letter to Mom: My Mother is Better than Yours, Okay? by jtzerchen (Her mother taught her to love books and reading)
  15. Letter to Mom: No Small Thing by eulers_number (She is afraid of her mother’s inevitable death)
  16. Letter to Mom: Purely Unconditional by emsun (She was raised my her grandmother, and learned to love her mother over time)
  17. Letter to Mom: My Favorite Person Ever by bhumrocks (Her mom is the most important person in her life)
  18. Letter to Mom: I Miss You by IRR1996 (Her grandmother taught her to crochet)
  19. Letter to Mom: An Enduring Lesson by mgupta (She fondly remembers an old nanny)

WINNERS  NON-STUDENT ENTRIES

We received submissions on this writing prompt from many of the life stages and generations on StageofLife.com.  Here are the Letter to Mom Essay Contest Winners from our non-student categories...

StageofLIfe.com writing contest submissions

Read All Qualifying Teen & College Essays for the National StageofLife.com Writing Contest
    - "Share a special memory about your mother, grandmother, or an important woman in your life."

The essays below were written by Stage of Life teen writers for the monthly writing contest

1. Letter to Mom: Love, Support, and the Pursuit of Knowledge by KentSayre (This teen’s mom infuses her Danish traditions into the household)
    2. Letter to Mom: She Can Cheer Anyone Up by niacovelli (Her mom has a way of reassuring others)
    3. Letter to Mom: My Best Friend, My Rock, My Mom by greekgirl2015 (When this teen was feeling down about herself, her mom made her feel better)
    4. Letter to Mom: My Mom is beautiful, inside and out by niveditha.pradeep7 (Mom stands for “my own model”)
    5. Letter to Mom: My Mother’s Greatest Lesson by havanaarguello (Her mom got a cruel girl to stop bullying her)
    6. Letter to Mom: From Jenny With Love by jenx817 (A letter to her mother, who prematurely passed away)
    7. Letter to Mom by katrina.mominee (She wants to treat her mom like a queen on Mother’s Day)
    8. Letter to Mom: An Unyielding Inspiration by sloanescott (No one works harder than this teen’s mom)
    9. Letter to Mom: My Rock by Elle Gruebbeling (In high school it  is typical to drift away from your mom… but that’s not the case for this teen)
    10. Letter to Mom: I Am You Made Over by Malinanicole (Many people recognize similarities in this mother/daughter)
    11. Letter to Mom: All is Forgiven by Keylun 66 (She regrets the interactions she had with her mom)
    12. Letter to Mom: A Moving Adventure by NataliaJ1998 (Her mom immigrated from Poland to give her kids a better life in America)
    13. Letter to Mom: Our Never-Ending Struggle by savannahrachelle (She was a bit of a “grandma’s girl”)
    14. Letter to Mom: Loneliness Cured by SJH296 (Her mother is her savior from misery)
    15. Letter to Mom by cole_racer723 (“You do not know how strong you are until being strong is the only option you have left”)
    16. Letter to Mom: As much as we dislike each other, I still love you by j1245 (Even though this teen and her mom don’t always get long, love always prevails)
    17. Letter to Mom: My Mom Never Lets Me Down by beckyporter004 (She wants to be a “woman of God” just like her mom)
    18. Letter to Mom: My Best Friend by madisonk (As she got older, her relationship with her mom got better)
    19. Letter to Mom: How she changed my life by Cierra (This teen reminisces about a fun family memory)
    20. Letter to Mom: A True Friend by vincentpennetti (His mom made the discovery of his IBS more bearable)
    21. Letter to Mom: Thank you for life by futurejournalist (She and her mother are both very “pro-life”)
    22. Letter to Mom: She’s more than a mother by kyliethomson (She looks forward to having her mom guide her through life)
    23. Letter to Mom: The Woman with the Rose-Colored Eyes by e33ambrose (She craves the acceptance of her amazing mom)
    24. Letter to Mom: My mom by bjames97 (His mom enrolled him into the Boy Scouts)
    25. Letter to Mom: The Rock in My Life by azhou (Her mom is her support)
    26. Letter to Mom: The Fighter by gigilove1614 (This teen’s mom fought breast cancer)
    27. Letter to Mom: Grandma Margaret by mhughes14 (Her grandma pretty much raised her)
    28. Letter to Mom: She Really is a Sensitive Person by emilie.mccoy.7 (Although losing her grandma was hard, it built a great relationship with her mom)
    29. Letter to Mom: The strongest woman I know by Momojiku (Her mother is full of wonderful contradictions)
    30. Letter to Mom: Caring by mmessina (His mom encourages him to try new things)
    31. Letter to Mom: I love you by Talisha (No matter how bad their relationship may seem, this teen loves her mom)
    32. Letter to Mom by shacora_ (Her mother tragically died of breast cancer)
    33. Letter to Mom: Love With All My Heart by Chip329 (He will remember his childhood with fondness)
    34. Letter to Mom: Competition Mom by KristenKaestner (Her mom has spent countless hours supporting this teen in dance)
    35. Letter to Mom: Strongest woman I know by laurenraur (Her mom amazingly battles tough health issues)
    36. Letter to Mom: This is For You Mommy by Dinma (She watches Joel Osteen with her mom every Sunday)
    37. Letter to Mom: Love Without Recognition by shashwat.patra (He had accidentally forgotten Mother’s Day, so he did  the best possible thing)
    38. Letter to Mom: She Painted the House With Music by cellobanana (“In this house, we speak the language of music”)
    39. Letter to Mom: The Most Inspiring Person I Know by hannahroper (Her mom is her go-to person)
    40. Letter to Mom: My Rock by BrittanyLynnJ (She survived a horrible car accident)
    41. Letter to Mom: Strongest Woman by Mkaylikemkay (Her mom manages her time well)
    42. Letter to Mom: Her smile is like the crescent moon in my night sky by girlwings (Poetry prose about her love for her mother)
    43. Letter to Mom by sabrinaLparra (Her mom taught her to think about what to say)
    44. Letter to Mom: Defining This Relationship by nive.raghavan (Her relationship with her mom is something she can’t define)
    45. Letter to Mom: My savior by Annie890 (She leaned on a kind older woman in her neighborhood)
    46. Letter to Mom by ibrahimmuybi (This sick teen felt pampered by his mom)
    47. Letter to Mom: Letters, Brownies, and a Whole Lot of Love by eneves (Her grandmother taught her many unique things)
    48. Letter to Mom: Her Personality is Big Like Her Singing Voice by rbrase (His mom is his number one priority)
    49. Letter to Mom: An Uplifting Angel by luisadiaz15 (Her mom left her old life behind in Mexico for a great new American opportunity)
    50. Letter to Mom: Thank you for inspiring hope by emily.evenden (She remembers visiting her grandma in the hospital)
    51. Letter to Mom: I love my mom by julius moreno (This teen’s mom cooks a great breakfast every Sunday)
    52. Letter to Mom: Sometimes You Should Think for Yourself First by conception (Her mom is a recovering addict)
    53. Letter to Mom by Ahauser (Her mom survived breast cancer)
    54. Letter to Mom: I love you by jesmarie (This teen has too many memories with her mom to pick one)
    55. Letter to Mom by fated-2-love-you45 (Her mother raised 9 kids)
    56. Letter to Mom: Footsteps that Never Falter by onceuponatime2 (She will always follow in her mother’s footsteps)
    57. Letter to Mom: Undying Adoration by cinnabar (Every argument leads to a lesson)
    58. Letter to Mom: You’re the Best Gift Ever by SailsClark (Every act of kindness matters)
    59. Letter to Mom: The Amazing Person I Call Mom by jswartznhs (Memories of a weekend at Boy Scout camp)
    60. Letter to Mom: A Master at Everything by KellyNicolas (Her mom successfully earned her Master’s degree)
    61. Letter to Mom: Superwoman by Kspinks (Her mom powers through MS)
    62. Letter to Mom: My Rock by cloudiemc (Her mom has pushed this teen to her limits to make her stronger)
    63. Letter to Grandmother: Role Model of the Year by shaniseojann (Her grandmother was an inspiring woman)
    64. Letter to Mom: She’s the Best Woman in the World by sabrina (Her mother taught her to work hard)
    65. Letter to Mom: Grandmama’s Bedtime Fairy Tales by aisyahlyana (All tales have a happily ever after)
    66. Letter to Mom: My Mother Taught Me Many Things Even When She Wasn’t There by jnguyen993 (This teen learned moral strength from mom)
    67. Letter to Mom: My grandmother and the qualities I try to live up to by awdavis2014 (This teen learned to be kind to strangers)
    68. Letter to Mom: Everyone Has a Story by clairable (You never know what tomorrow will bring)
    69. Letter to Mom: Who Gave Me Everything by idreamy (Her mother supported her ice skating dream)
    70. Letter to Mom: Person Who Actually Tries by idreamy (This teen has a mutual understanding with her mom)
    71. Letter to Mom: Her Love by bnieto95 (Reminiscent on the day she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital)
    72. Letter to Mom: The Backbone of Our Family by destahoe (Her mom treated her to a birthday at Six Flags)
    73. Letter to Mom: Sometimes You Need to Let Go by horsesrunwild34 (She doesn’t want to see her mom hurt by her sister anymore)
    74. Letter to Mom: A Constant Warmth by cassandrajo (She still craves her mother’s attention)
    75. Letter to Mom by opfth (She’s still trying to please her mom)
    76. Letter to Mom: Please forgive my sins by Usamah (She wants her mom to forgive her)
    77. Letter to Mom: My own superwoman by andbeyondpluto (Her mom is enduring and selfless)
    78. Letter to Mom: Mom is Willing to Die for Me by Jilianne Borquida (Her mom rescued her from drowning)
    79. Letter to Mom by shrihari (Her mom always has a solution for this teen’s problems)
    80. Letter to Mom: My Mother is Better than Yours, Okay? by jtzerchen (Her mother taught her to love books and reading)
    81. Letter to Mom: Please come home by Unheardof96 (Growing up, she missed her mom while her mom worked third shift)
    82. Letter to Mom: Beauty Herself by shia (Loving her mom makes this teen feel wealthy)
    83. Letter to Mom: My Twin by laurenhill72 (Her mom bought her a watch that she had secretly wanted)
    84. Letter to Mom: Always and Forever by Mayamaya (Her mom helped plan a great birthday, even after her friends ditched her)
    85. Letter to Mom: My Personal Motivator by nose-in-a-book (Her mom made her feel like a winner)
    86. Letter to Mom: No Small Thing by eulers_number (She is afraid of her mother’s inevitable death)
    87. Letter to Mom: My mentor and the Blacksmith who forged me by nitish1305 (“Friendship with good people is like the air we breathe in”)
    88. Letter to Mom: She’s One of a Kind by ragav (This teen’s mom is the epitome of hard-work and compassion)
    89. Letter to Mom: My Inspiration by shivani (Everything this teen’s mom taught her will stay with her forever)
    90. Letter to Mom: Purely Unconditional by emsun (She was raised my her grandmother, and learned to love her mother over time)
    91. Letter to Mom: She is The Total Package by brownie5592 (Her mom is working hard in both ESL classes and to become a medical assistant)
    92. Letter to Mom: The Wrong Assumption by cassiec012 (Her mom helped her escape a horrifying situation)
    93. Letter to Mom: To The One Who Redefined the Term Mother by REENA (A mother loves you before you can even think)
    94. Letter to Mom: A lifetime worth of sacrifice by MidnightSunset (Her mom has sacrified a lot)
    95. Letter to Mom: She can get mad, but I know she cares by ebane0 (She and her mom fight a lot, but still get along)
    96. Letter to Mom: My Favorite Person Ever by bhumrocks (Her mom is the most important person in her life)
    97. Letter to Mom: I Miss You by IRR1991 (Her grandmother taught her to crochet)
    98. Letter to Mom: Pink Pansies by serasays729 (Thoughts and reflections on Mother’s Day)
    99. Letter to Mom: My Comfort in the Storm by Nik727 (She was scared of a thunderstorm, and her mom comforted her)
    100. Letter to Mom: My Everything by saadia298 (She and her mom shared a special night in SoHo)
    101. Letter to Mom: Rantings of an Incoherent Teenager by Paradigmdefortuna (This teen’s mom’s faults balance with never-ending patience)
    102. Letter to Mom: Dearest Grandmother by Napkin32 (This teen is sorry for neglecting her grandmother)
    103. Letter to Mom: Mothers by fundamentally_unknown (Mothers act out of care and consideration)
    104. Letter to Mom: She Held Me Up Through My Darkest Days by friendzyfriend (Her mother helped her out of a scary cycle of purging)
    105. Letter to Mom: Thank You by mgupta (Her mom comforted this teen after a nightmare)
    106. Letter to Mom: An Enduring Lesson by mgupta (She fondly remembers an old nanny)

Writing contests on StageofLife.comWriting Contests on Stage of Life

StageofLife.com hosts educational, national, monthly writing and blogging contests for teens and college students.  In its mission to provide students an authentic community to share their opinions and publish their ideas, StageofLife.com will strive to continue its commitment to giving teens and college students a larger voice. 

We welcome you to explore our writing contests, our mission and the literacy principals on which it Stage of Life was founded.

Comments

Let us know what you think!