Teen Communication Trends

What Forms of Communication Do Teens Use?

Teens and CommunicationHigh school teachers know teens “text” and use Facebook, but do they know more and more students are blogging; or nearly half no longer pass paper notes; or Skype is more popular than Twitter? 

To help teachers understand the latest in teen communication trends (as part of its Teacher Appreciation writing contest during), StageofLife.com asked teenagers to answer the survey question, “Which writing activities do you engage in?” before submitting an essay about a favorite teacher (read over 150 Teacher Appreciation essays)

Of the 5,195 unique visitors for this month's teen essay competition, over 600 answered the writing contest survey question.  Students selected between choice A (positive) or B (negative) on if they used a particular form of communication.  Here are the highlights of our "Digital Literacy" poll on which forms of communication teens and college students use the most.

Teen Communication Survey Results

• Email:  90.15% of teens use email - 9.85% do not
  • Texting:  86.36% of teens text - 13.64% do not
  • Facebook:  83.57% of teens use Facebook - 16.43% do not
  • Journal:  57.80% of teens write in an "old school" journal using pen and paper - 42.20% do not
  • Paper Notes:  52.84% of teens write notes on paper and pass them in school - 47.16% do not
  • Skype:  49.05% of teens Skype - 50.95% do not
  • Instant Messaging (IM):  42.55% of teens "IM" - 57.34% do not
  • Blogging:  32.33% of teens blog - 67.67% do not
  • Twitter:  28.35% of teens use Twitter - 71.65% do not
Print Teens and Communication Survey Data Results

Visitor Data

High School Student Communication Trends5,100+ teens and college students visited the Teacher Appreciation writing competition page throughout September 2011 coming from 79 countries, 50 U.S. states, and over 1,605 cities across the world.  600+ of these students voted in the Teens and Communication survey.  Of the total visitors:
  • Writing Contest Page Views:  6,490
  • Unique Visitors:  5,195
  • New Visitors:  73%
  • Return Visitors:  27%
  • Top 6 Countries with Visitors (in rank order):  United States (86%), Canada, UK, Philippines, India, Australia...
  • Top 10 U.S. States with Visitors (in rank order):  CA, NY, PA, TX, NC, NJ, TN, IL, FL, OH...
  • Top 20 World Cities with Visitors (in rank order):  Clarksville, New York, Asheville, Los Angeles, York PA, Chicago, San Jose, Albany, Manila, San Francisco, Princeton, Houston, Luverne, Springfield, Washington, Flushing, Wilmington, St. Louis, Columbus, Montgomery, Dallas, Melbourne...