A Boy and His Hero

Mr.Barnes
First, my hero was Superman. Next, my hero was a police man. After that, it was Will Smith. I had many heroes as a child, but none of them really affected me as much as a real hero did. You see, I'm just a boy. I've been around for seventeen years on this planet, but still, I'm just a boy. However, my hero is a man. That man is my father.

Growing up I heard the stories about "the good old days," but I never really fully understood any of it. I was too young to get the meaning behind all of what my father went through. However, getting older I started to realize how great of a story this man had, and how much I wanted to be like him. He was my hero from that day on, and I'm sure he'll continue to be my hero.

When my father was fourteen he abandoned his life as a teenager and took on adulthood. He had a son with my mother, who was sixteen at the time, and he didn't run from the responsibility. In fact, two years later my father added on to that responsibility by taking care of another son with my mother. All the while, my father worked jobs to support his family. My mother had a hard enough job taking care of children, so he took it upon himself to be able to provide for his family. In the year 1993 I was born. I was the fifth and final child. My father still provided for all of us. A hero definitely in the making.

My father woke up at three A.M. for most of my life getting ready for work, and then leaving for work around four. He did this for ten years. Never missed a day of work, and never once did I hear him complain. Even when my father would come home from a long day at work he would still spend time with his family. Sure, I may not have gone to Great America as a child every Summer, but just going to Wal-Mart with my father felt equally as fun.

Trying to imagine what his life was like is just too hard. Sometimes, I feel bad for him. He missed out on his entire teenage years and young adult life. The amazing thing however, is that I don't think he cares. My father has an enormous amount of love for his family. Even if we've put him through hell and back, which is what makes him so amazing.

I asked my father once, "If you had the chance, would you go back and change anything you've done?"

He replied, "Why would I do that? Life is going just fine."

I smiled. My father is my hero, and he always will be.