My Hero is Sandra Barnes

stageoflife1
Screaming. Fighting. Tears. No child deserves to hear their parent going through this every night. I once knew love as nothing, but pain and black eyes. By the age of six I cried enough tears to overflow the Mississippi River. The summer before my fourth grade year my mother showed me courage I never winessed from her before the courage that is still instilled in me even to this day.
Whether it was a holiday, birthday, or even an average night, even at a young age I knew there was no such thing as an "peaceful night" in our home; this was the type of life I was born into and the type of life my mother started living at the tender age of eighteen. To me the late night wars that took place in my parents' bedroom were pure torture, but my mother always tried to persuade her three young children everything would work out for the better. The words she spoke gave us hope, but looking into her dark bruised eyes told us differently. In the summer of 2000 her best friend came to visit and offered my mother a room in her Florida home to us escape the nightmare we had been living for so long. Our family would get away from an abusive relationship, but moving to a new state would also create new hardships.
Tall buildings, bright lights, and too many people to count, nothing like the life I became immune to: this was our new life in Jacksonville, Florida. As my mother's friend promised she housed all four of us until my mother was able to move us into a affordable house. After months of double shifts and loosing many hours of much needed sleep my mother was able to move us into a apartment. Although the position as an LPN providing enough money to support our needs , my mother wanted more. My mother went back to school to get her RN license. Working to pay for to pay for school, provide our needs, and going to school which included many hours of homework would cause anyone to breakdown, but after an year of hard-work and determination seeing my mother walk across that stage was priceless.
Whether my mother wanted to grow up or not sha had to be ready for the unknown problems that came her way. Having her first child at nineteen she knew that she was not only living for herself, but for other people aslso. My mother's motivation to provide our needs and be the best mother in the world overcame every obstacle. The determination and independency my mother demonstrated now lives in me and allows me to conquer every goal I set and go above the average. Some people may look at a famous cartoon character as their hero, but my mother is my own superwoman.
Comment by Meade28

awww...tear...
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:02:50 PM