Moments of Awesomeness Stories

Teen Trend Report:

Moments of Awesomeness Writing ContestWhat was the most awesome moment of your life?

As an international writing community with a mission to make the world a better place through storytelling, StagofLife.com looked for some extra inspiration from its blogging community as it asked the simple question, "What was the most awesome moment in your life?"

We didn't know what to expect when we asked that question...but we're glad we did.

From surviving a shark encounter to finishing the National Novel Writing Month to standing up to a bully, we received some awesome (and let us stress...awesome) stories.

Take some time to read some of the essays below and think about how you would have answered the question...

"What was the most awesomeness moment in your life?"

Trend Report Overview:

VISITS:  Over 6,200 teens and college students visited the StageofLife.com student poll and writing contest during the month's writing prompt (August 2013) from across the US (all 50 states) and dozens of international countries.
  • TEENS and SURVEY DATA:  275 students between junior high school and college fully completed the national survey sharing their stories about the most awesome moments of their lives. 
  • ESSAY THEMES:  Out of all of the topics discussed, five major themes were collectively revealed by teens in their "awesomeness" essays. 
  • STUDENT ESSAYS:  85+ student bloggers submitted a qualifying essay to the Moments of Awesomeness national writing contest answering the question, "What was the most awesome moment of your life?  
  • ESSAY WINNER:  First, second, and third place winners, 2 Runners Up, and 6 Semi-Finalists were selected. 

StageofLife.com Video Introduction

With the help of the video expert at First Class Visual Media, we produced a 1:31 video of our man-on-the-street kick-off to the Moment of Awesomeness writing prompt...

PART I AWESOMENESS STATISTICS SURVEY RESULTS

Before submitting their StageofLife.com writing contest essay, teens were asked to complete the Stage of Life monthly national survey about the "Moments of Awesomeness" writing prompt.  Here are the teen statistics from the survey...

• 41.8% of students say they experienced their "Moments of Awesomeness" with "friends" while 27.6% say the most special moments in life come when they are with their family.  25.8% say they are "alone" when they have their Moments of Awesomeness.
  • When asked the question "From which do you draw the most inspiration or have your biggest 'Moments of Awesomeness', teens ranked the following from highest to lowest...
    • Reading and Writing #1 (we are a blogging site afterall)
    • Music #2
    • Nature #3
    • Exercise & Sports #4
    • Religion #5
    • Food #6
  • 31.6% of teenagers say they are at home (their house) when they experience their Moments of Awesomeness.  Compare that to those who say they are on vacation (20.4%), at school (18.9%), in their community (15.3%), at a special event (11.3%), or at church (2.5%) - the lowest ranked location.
  • Nearly 1 out of 4 teens say it's easier for them to remember the negative/bad moments in their life than the good moments.  Over half say they can easily remember both good and bad moments equally.
Moments of Awesomeness survey results
To read the full national survey results, click the PDF icon to save the free download.

PART II MOMENTS OF AWESOMENESS ESSAY THEMES

Students submitted their writing contest essays to StageofLife.com.  From the 85+ qualifying teen essay submissions, several themes and trends emerged:

Themes and Trends from the Essays about Awesome Moments...

• teen trend report School-Related: Many teens were proud of their academic achievements: from earning stellar grades to taking the SATs early to forming a new club, even schools can be awesome. In fact, this was, by far, the most popular sub-topic, which goes to show that school is extremely important to teens.
  • Friend-Related: Friends are always awesome. These teens were fond of memories that involved strange or silly hi-jinks with good friends; they also coveted simple memories, like spending time with old friends.
  • Travel-Related: Several teens found awesomeness in different parts of the world, including the Grand Canyon, Morocco, and Switzerland, to name a few. These teens were bold and willing to try awesome new adventures, which led to unique memories.
  • What is Awesomeness?: The consensus in this contest is that awesomeness doesn’t have to be something massive or groundbreaking. Awesomeness is a personally significant moment in your life: the first inside joke you shared with your best friend, or the essay you got an A on after working on it all night. Awesomeness can be found in any moment.

PART III READ THE MOMENTS OF AWESOMENESS ESSAYS

Teens Blog on StageofLife.comImmediately below, you'll find links to the StageofLife.com winning essay, our runners-up, semi-finalists, and 85+ essays from college students and teenagers about some incredible (and awesome) life moments.

Please take a few moments to read an essay or two, especially our winners, runners-up, and finalists.

If you have the time, make a comment on the responses you enjoyed the most.  We know the student writers will love hearing your positive input (they'll get an email notifying them if you comment on their writing contest entry).

Stage of Life writing contest winnerTeen & College Essay Contest Winner and Place Finishers:

• 1st Place Winner: Awesomeness: In a Faded Brown Envelope by gmasback (This teen opted for a more meaningful Christmas gift)
  • 2nd Place:  Awesomeness: Metamorphosis by FreeFalling (She stood up for a victim of bullying)

• 3rd Place:  Awesomeness: Shark Sighting by rjenkins (This teen was diving when he saw a bull shark)

StageofLife.com student essay writers - Runners Up2 Runners Up (in no particular order):
  1. Awesomeness: A Role in History by KL94 (Her winning essay has the chance of being drafted into legislation in the state of PA)
  2. Awesomeness: I Believed Her by Collins (He received some much-needed encouragement from a new friend)

StageofLife.com teen essay writers - Semi-Finalists6 Semi-Finalists (in no particular order):
  1. Awesomeness: Creating My Own Fortunes by elizabethann9 (She has learned healthy coping mechanisms) 

2. Awesomeness: Victory—The 50,000th Word by tchen1997 (This teen completed NaNoWriMo)

3. Awesomeness: Learning that Everything Comes with Hard Work by adeliemelon (This teen wanted to challenge herself)

4. Awesomeness: Defeating the Tarzan Swing by amandabyrnes (This teen went zip-lining in Costa Rica)

5. Awesomeness: Bow Down to the Emperor Falls by Meder11635 (Nature is both destructive and beautiful)

6. Awesomeness: Peeking In by grace.maley (She went scuba diving in the Turks and Caicos)

StageofLIfe.com writing contest submissions

Read All Qualifying Teen & College Essays for the National StageofLife.com Writing Contest
- "What was the most awesome moment in your life?"

The essays below were all written by Stage of Life teen writers for the monthly writing contest...

Family-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Being Excited for the Next Day by sophialovesu (Her family protects from the world’s misfortunes)

2. Awesomeness: Moment of Awesomeness by leticia92 (She is proud to be an aunt)

3. Awesomeness: Birth of Two by FMartinez99 (She always wanted to be a big sister)

4. Awesomeness by lilysandoval444 (She had an exciting 14th birthday)

5. Awesomeness: “Tequila” shots with my brother by khushboo savita (This teen did shots with his brother in a moment of bonding)

6. Awesomeness: When I saw my little sister born by BubblezYribe (She fondly remembers the birth of her much younger sister)

7. Awesomeness: Seeing the Person That I Will Never Be Able to See Again by Jlee (A seemingly meaningless trip to her grandparents turned into a touching and fond memory)

8. Awesomeness: The Last Time by potatoe_soup (She ended a toxic relationship with her father)

9. Awesomeness: Learning to Say Sorry by Laura2525 (She remembers making her mother angry when she was 4)

Friend-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Two Dollars by bochi_tries84 (She found two great, long-lasting friends)

2. Awesomeness: Theoretical besties by Katie_Sayer (Prose about her closest friends)

3. Awesomeness: My Grandfather’s Smile by Abhimanyu (This teen took his grandfather out for lunch)

4. Awesomeness: People Bearing Green Bagels by Zbrook (This teen was befriended by tech kids bearing bagels)

5. Awesomeness: Bad Luck Girl by girlnextdoor123 (She unexpectedly kissed her crush)

6. Awesomeness: Overcame by senica_ (She was bullied because of her race)

7. Awesomeness: I Believed Her by Collins (He received some much-needed encouragement from a new friend)

8. Awesomeness: Meeting Selinda by Rebel-Love (She met her best friend in 8th grade)

9. Awesomeness: Me That I Never Was Before by Christiannalove (She loves meeting her friend after school)

10. Awesomeness: My Moment of Awesomeness by rachelheineman (She remembers walking to a mall in the desert heat with her friend)

11. Awesomeness: The first day by CyrilLangston (It is important to be kind to freshman)

12. Awesomeness: Awesomeness at its Finest by Real_Thug (He remembers hanging out with his best friends)

13. Awesomeness: Eh by rtyagi (This teen realized that a mutual friend did like her)

Health-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Freedom at Last by rahblinn (This teen struggled with an eating disorder for years)

2. Awesomeness: Creating My Own Fortunes by elizabethann9 (She has learned healthy coping mechanisms)

3. Awesomeness: Overcoming Cancer by skirk10 (This teen’s brain tumor is in remission)

4. Awesomeness: My Mom Battled Cancer… And Won by errrnmichel (Her mom had a double mastectomy to save her life)

5. Awesomeness: Joy Beyond A Million Bucks by chanakya (This teen was teaching others road safety)

6. Awesomeness: At the Lake by Wendy7499 (She helped her sister when her sister got a bad fishing injury)

7. Awesomeness: Finally Staying Strong by gabbyhoran98 (She was able to move on from her bout of depression)

Hobby-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: The Impact of a Story by Belle78 (She received positive feedback from a story she wrote)

2. Awesomeness: Earning my merit badges at scout camp by ChaseGubler (This teen accomplished many difficult tasks)

3. Awesomeness: Conquering Kingda Ka by butterflykisses15 (This teen rode the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the US)

4. Awesomeness: Victory—The 50,000th Word by tchen1997 (This teen completed NaNoWriMo)

5. Awesomeness: Indians make India proud by winning FLL competition in Germany by dhruvinrulz (His team won a fierce competition)

6. Awesomeness: Dance Performance by drewieee (This teen remembers performing her first ballet)

7. Awesomeness: A Thousand-Person Heart: My Moment of Awesomeness by genericcreator (This teen fondly remembers seeing Newsboys)

8. Awesomeness: Strings of Amazement by bradleygunter (He remembers getting his bass guitar)

9. Awesomeness: Bringing a Mermaid to Life on Stage by Irishsword (She was honored to perform Ariel)

10. Awesomeness: Awesomeness is Awesome by tanmai (This teen is a YouTube personality)

11. Awesomeness: Once in a Lifetime Awesome Feeling by reggie87 (This teen was drum major of marching band)

12. Awesomeness: My Black Belt by ejm81490 (This teen successfully earned his black belt)

13. Awesomeness: Deciding my future by fanfic-lover (She has decided her career path)

Love-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: A Moment of Awesomeness by Mini_Meamz (Her crush kissed her in the woods)

2. Awesomeness: My new puppy by kamakshikumari15 (This teen fell in love with her new family member)

3. Awesomeness: In a Faded Brown Envelope by gmasback (This teen opted for a more meaningful Christmas gift)

School-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Unleashing the Noise by DreamyGal (This teen was accepted to a student mental health innovation summit)

2. Awesomeness: Being Accepted in the IB Program by g_brielle (This teen put off her application until the last minute, and still got in)

3. Awesomeness: Pulling It Together by Dear Ambition (This teen got a 4.0 GPA thanks her to hard work)

4. Awesomeness: A Role in History by KL94 (Her winning essay has the chance of being drafted into legislation in the state of PA)

5. Awesomeness: The Power of Synergy by JenT (Her friends decided to start a new club at their school)

6. Awesomeness: Pride in Potential by _dilee (She inspired a young boy to join an honors school)

7. Awesomeness: Finally Flying by deprivedsoul (This teen discovered the best part about the swing set)

8. Awesomeness: SAT Miracle by CalebSims (He got to take the SATs in 7th grade)

9. Awesomeness: Delusion 101 by AnnaLeeee (This teen was bracing herself, as a child, for a day at school)

10. Awesomeness: The Ultimate Moment by penwand1205 (Amazing moments followed one big awesome moment)

11. Awesomeness: Good Enough by DianaHla (She got an A on her first college course)

12. Awesomeness: The Seahawk Award by Jay Franko (This teen won a coveted award)

13. Awesomeness: My Grades by baileybluebird (She is proud of all of the hard work she puts into school)

14. Awesomeness: Stood first in class for the first time by khushboo savita (This teen was top of his class)

15. Awesomeness: A Honor Roll by emily.lowe17 (This teen made the highest honor roll)

16. Awesomeness: Rainbow Fuzz by sillytoad (Her self-confidence was at its peak in seventh grade)

17. Awesomeness: An Unusual Awesome Moment by jhanvi (This teen feels great about coming clean about a prank he pulled)

18. Awesomeness: Personal Renaissance by LoganBZelk (This teen didn’t tolerate bullying)

Sports-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Slalom Skiing by smcmillan16 (This teen successfully water skied)

2. Awesomeness: Shark Sighting by rjenkins (This teen was diving when he saw a bull shark)

3. Awesomeness: Scaling My Mountain by futurejournalist (Rock climbing wasn’t fun… until she saw the view)

4. Awesomeness: Learning that Everything Comes with Hard Work by adeliemelon (This teen wanted to challenge herself)

5. Awesomeness: It lies in the things we do by chandana (“Awesome” doesn’t have to be a big moment in your life)

6. Awesomeness: The Best Ticket in Town by emilygcoffman (This teen was excited to go to Fenway Park)

7. Awesomeness: Tin Pin Hero by Paper (This teen was victorious in a beloved gym class game)

8. Awesomeness: I Flew to the Clouds by Skyler (This teen loves to “flip”)

9. Awesomeness: A Moment of Awesomeness by AlexisRitter (This teen was challenged to ski)

10. Awesomeness: Most Awesome Moment by caycay27 (This teen went parasailing)

Travel-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Radiant Wasteland by Lennylen (This teen experiences hiking in Morocco)

2. Awesomeness: Defeating the Tarzan Swing by amandabyrnes (This teen went zip-lining in Costa Rica)

3. Awesomeness: Summer Mission Outreach 2013 by Kiara (She led a group of missionary teens)

4. Awesomeness: Guatemala Adventure by FloridaGirl (Her family moved to Guatemala when she was 9)

5. Awesomeness: Spotting an Angel... in Istanbul by andrewkim234 (This teen was touched by a powerful piece of art)

6. Awesomeness: The Sandakphu Trek by vatsalpatel2197 (This teen conquered a tough hike with friends)

7. Awesomeness: Bow Down to the Emperor Falls by Meder11635 (Nature is both destructive and beautiful)

8. Awesomeness: Peeking In by [email protected] (She went scuba diving in the Turks and Caicos)

9. Awesomeness: Switzerland: Heaven on Earth by gopigh (This teen remembers snow-capped mountains in Europe)

10. Awesomeness: Moving to an Unknown Place by Lyannja (She moved from Puerto Rico to Colorado)

11. Awesomeness: Summer Without Darkness (Literally…) by Laura2525 (She won a trip to Finland)

12. Awesomeness: Adventure in the Grand Canyon by Paper (This teen took a family trip)

Volunteer-Related Moments of Awesomeness

1. Awesomeness: Watching God work around me on a mission trip by XxWriterChicaxX (This teen participated in a growing mission trip)

2. Awesomeness: At the Treasure House by Nik727 (Earning good grades doesn’t compare to a day of volunteering)

3. Awesomeness: Moment of Awesomeness by rebecca_leigh99 (This teen did mission work in Georgia)

Other

1. Awesomeness: Adventures in Teenage Mediocrity by Prematurely-Apocalyptic (This teen doesn’t have the time or money to do anything “exciting”)

2. Awesomeness: is not something that will walk up to you; it’s more like a jackpot by Unique (This teen recalled tips from a mind power workshop and discovered the awesomeness in her everyday life)

3. Awesomeness by Briata16 (Awesomeness cannot be confined to one moment)

4. Awesomeness: Team Achievement—Saving a Milestone by REENA (Awesome moments can also be about history)

5. Awesomeness: The Drive by monster47 (This teen learned how to drive)

6. Awesomeness: Meeting my Childhood Idol by ariaam (She met Demi Lovato)

7. Awesomeness: Awesome Moment by mahreen (August is her birthday month)

8. Awesomeness: Metamorphosis by FreeFalling (She stood up for a victim of bullying)

9. Awesomeness: An Unexpected Response by mhs1996 (She gave a passionate speech about marriage equality)

10. Awesomeness: Sleeping is the Key by angelgirlsko12 (She experience lucid dreaming)

11. Awesomeness: The Ominous Future by jasmineperry (This teen realized the truth about the future)

12. Awesomeness: Nature’s Beauty by Disheeta (This teen is in awe of nature)

Writing contests on StageofLife.comWriting Contests on Stage of Life

StageofLife.com hosts educational, national, monthly writing and blogging contests for teens and college students.  In its mission to provide students an authentic community to share their opinions and publish their ideas, StageofLife.com will strive to continue its commitment to giving teens and college students a larger voice. 

We welcome you to explore our writing contests, our mission and the literacy principals on which it Stage of Life was founded.