Featured Teenager & High School Blogs

Teens share thoughts about high school, friends and more

Contact Stage of Life as a Featured BloggerBefore reading the below essays submitted by our featured bloggers...

Do you write?  Do you have your own blog?  Do you want a national venue to share your thoughts and advice?  Contact Us if you want to be considered as a Featured Student Blogger on Stage of Life in the High School stage.

High School Blog Archive

An Angel Without Wings

Posted by: laurengripp14 on 02/11/2015

I am completely lost and have nowhere to go,
I begin to scream and shout and yet no one will show.
My hands feel numb and my knees are weak,
someone to care for me is what I seek.
There is no place for me to hide,
I feel as though my insides have died.
This is when I saw the light,
it made me wince; it was so bright.
Once it faded it became clear,
my friend, this is when you came near.

This City is a Fairy-tale

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 07/29/2014

each glimmer shows a blessing
from the city that stole my heart
you can't see them from a window
separation from the magic

every droplet reveals secrets
of the life in every light
of the revving of the tires
against the current of the noise
and the movement of the buildings'
reflections in the water
in the glasses on the rooftops
in the bubbles in the goblets
the reflection of the swaying
to the hum of our desire

A Misguided View on Poverty

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 12/22/2013

If you were paying attention to the news during the past couple of weeks, you likely heard of the fast-food-worker strikes in which workers demanded, amongst other things, a minimum wage of $15 an hour.
Of course if you had the pleasure to be around others when hearing this news story, you likely heard some curmudgeonly grumbles along the lines of “Are they out of their minds?” or “I never made that when I worked those jobs!”

Get Up

Posted by: MariaRose on 11/19/2013

"Get up, get up, get up."

These two words, said three times, have become my Friday night mantra. Regardless of the uniform you wear, I say it every time. "Get up, get up, get up".

The Problems with Romanticizing our Past

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 10/22/2013

Columbus Day passed somewhat quietly last week. Aside from the lack of Catholic school students walking to my neighborhood bus stops in the morning, there were few other noticeable signs of the holiday.

The GOP's Shrinking Tent

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 10/15/2013

When you hear the word “rhino,” you might think of a large tusked mammal roaming the savanna of Africa. But lately, certain members of the American Right have given the term a new spelling and a new meaning.

For those of you who don’t share my enthusiasm for the Far Right and all of their hilarious little sayings and slogans, that new spelling is “RINO,” and it stands for “Republican in name only.”

Remember

Posted by: MariaRose on 09/11/2013

Eleven years ago, a group of terrorists carried out a plan to attack American soil on a scale never seen before.

Eleven years ago, the skyline and story of New York City changed in an instant.

Eleven years ago, I was in Kindergarten.

Hyocrisy in the Syria Debate

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 09/05/2013

I'll get my own opinion out of the way early in this piece: I don't think the United States should intervene militarily in Syria. But as much as I believe in non-interventionism, I'm angered by the hypocrisy I've seen from certain non-interventionists.

[from the editor] An Apple Pie of Love

Posted by: yiyijessicali on 08/21/2013

I’m not the only one on this planet who has ever asked his/herself whether good deeds will ever be rewarded. In fact, as cynical as it sounds, many people would wait and wait for that tangible, material give-back even at their death bed, grieving as though it never came.

The Reality of High School Marching Band

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 08/08/2013

In a few days, I will surrender the last three weeks of my summer to stand outside in the heat for hours at a time. I will spend approximately 70 hours a week around the same group of 100 people, a situation that guarantees that at least several people will develop overwhelming desires to maim and/or kill the others.

Now you're probably asking: What activity could possibly prompt a rational human being to put himself through such torture?

Our Unfortunate Anti-Intellectual Culture

Posted by: awdavis2014 on 08/01/2013

Go on your television and browse through the cable channels.

Chances are you'll see one mind-numbing reality show after another, many featuring people whose only remarkable accomplishment is their fame. You've now only scratched the surface of America's anti-intellectual culture. It is a culture that puts wealth and fame and vanity above knowledge, and in a republic this is particularly bad news.

Patriotism: To be Above Earth

Posted by: LuckyStar101 on 07/31/2013

People have believed in their countries and these beliefs have killed them; beliefs so fervent it’s frightening- frightening that people are willing to put their life on line for them. Many would consider them corrosive but to some people, belief was their life.

Battered Frames

Posted by: cellobanana on 07/10/2013

A white, shapeless figure glows in a void of darkness.
What could it be?
A ghost? A fluorescent mineral embedded in an empty cave?
Or a gangly fifteen year old girl grappling her book underneath her bedsheets, her breath smothered by her blanket and her face illuminated by the dim light of her cellular device?

To Serve and Be Served

Posted by: MariaRose on 06/21/2013

I have spent the last five days with twenty people who truly understand what it means to serve.

I have never had greater hope for the future.

Published

Posted by: MariaRose on 05/21/2013

Published. It’s a word I always dreamed of seeing by my name, and now it is there. After almost 15 months of writing, re-writing, editing and writing some more, I am very proud to announce the publication of my first novel, Scrambled Eggs.

You can find it available on Amazon and Read More

"Shooting Stars" and Scared

Posted by: MariaRose on 04/12/2013

A few hours ago, I plopped myself in front of my TV to catch up on Glee before heading to bed.

That was not a good idea.

Acceptance

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 03/18/2013

Time slips then two years shatter
Glassy pieces drop down walls,
Reflections rise, so long forgotten-
Jagged memories never there.

One last shimmer, leathered sunlight-
seeping deep in breaking heart,
Love still lurking in the darkness,
endings now unknown forever.

Simple time has dissipated,
jaded sections brighten glass-
morphing others left unspoken,
The seams, of what should be.

To The Boys of Steubenville

Posted by: MariaRose on 03/17/2013

*Author's Note: for those unfamiliar with this case, visit http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/17/justice/ohio-steubenville-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 for an overview.*

To The Boys of Steubenville -

Every inch of my being wants me to tell you that you are terrible people, that I hope you are never forgiven for what you did, that there should be no mercy or pity for you because what you did was so utterly despicable.

But I won’t.

are you in shape yet?--

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 11/16/2012

The burning sensation sharpens at the climax of realization
A stiff jointed cliff, tied together intricately,
In a process easy to be harmed- but hard to revive.
The short bolder’s temperature rises to a blistering heat,
The rain begins to drip, drop, timely, down each crease in the land-
Urging it all to not give up.

It sings through the speaker clouds
that the main character has reached a far point on the game board

Just don't think

Posted by: wendyjo96 on 11/14/2012

Ever since I was a young girl, I was clumsy and fell down a LOT. Also cried a LOT (from those falls). Each time, my parents would scold me and say, "Wendy, think before you walk!" Of course as time passed, I became pretty good at walking and even good at sports. I think of those childhood years as years of preparation for harder and more arduous sports. Any way, so my motto has been for a long time, "think before you do anything."

Banned Books

Posted by: MikkiB326 on 11/09/2012

The time of year has come for English research papers to begin popping up. My topic for this sophomore year is "Censorship in schools." So, I need some help fellow Stage-of-Lifers! Can you please take the attached poll to describe to me your views on censorship? For those of you that don't know, here's a quick summary of my topic:

Keep Calm and Apply On

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 11/09/2012

PSAT. SAT. ACT. AP Tests. College Visits. Importance of grades. “The most important year of high school”. I’m sure that most of the upperclassman realize that I’m describing junior year. Dubbed as ‘the year with the most stress I’m sure that all of my fellow seniors are pretty proud of themselves for having survived endless standardized tests while trying to maintain good grades with an excruciatingly demanding workload. Although I do not want to undermine how stressful junior year inevi... Read More

Eternity

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 11/04/2012

the butterflies have fluttered back,
happily, their wings intact,
Innocence is withheld here,
knowing that their Love is
sheer- in a time when their dear friend,
the jitterbug can still pretend
how to rid them of that sign-
a new feeling left behind.

the butterflies know this now,
as they grow- they will Learn how
their inner beauty shines aloud-
from everything they've seen-
they know you feel- how in between-

The Parade

Posted by: ciaobella14 on 10/29/2012

Rising to a shaft of an enlightening parade we fly up on balloons
Hanging upon thin strands of dear life
Vivid colors fill the vacant sky
The view is unimaginable- everything can be seen
Reluctantly, we join the procession of butter-crème colored clouds
Desiring nothing more then what we have
We float up to the shafts of luminescent light, wondering about the future
I gain the unique ticket of entry-
And waltz in upon the trail of petals-

Gemini

Posted by: wendyjo96 on 10/18/2012

“Look up” the girl says
Lying with legs and arms spread wide out
On the white Caribbean sand next to the tranquil sea
The light summer breeze touching up on their rosy chubby cheeks,
The salty but pleasant smell filling the endless horizon
“That’s us up there” the other girl whispers
Out of all the stars in the clear moonless night sky
Among the copious constellations,
Aquarius,
Leo,
Pegasus,
Virgo,