Teen Trend Report

"Best Graduation Speech" Survey Results and Student Writing Contest Submissions:  4,400+ teen visitors, 316+ survey responders, and 185+ essay submissions from teenagers talking about what they would say to their class if they were the graduation speaker.

Best Graduation Speech - Writing Contest Results

Best Graduation Speeches

“You are educated.  Your certification is in your degree.  You may think of it as the ticket to the good life.  Let me ask you to think of an alternative.  Think of it as your ticket to change the world.” --Tom Brokaw

“A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that ‘individuality’ is the key to success.”  --Robert Orbe

“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”  --e.e. cummings

The Background on the Graduation Speech Writing Contest:

Stage of Life asked thousands of high school and college students across the world to share their thoughts on what they would say if they could address their class at graduation.  Here's how we framed the writing prompt for this month's writing contest...

C
an you hear Elgar’s “Pomp and Circumstance” playing in the background? Can you see the proud parents in the stands watching their robed soon-to-be graduates marching onto the football field? As we approach graduation season, we want you to try your hand at composing an original commencement speech.  

Your commencement speech should go beyond a typical “canned graduation speech” that gives lofty ideals without any concrete, specific details to back them up.  Instead, we want stories to be woven into the commencement speeches - stories of first days in school, class memories, the biggest challenges in school, lunch room favorites, teachers who impacted you, friends who stood by you, dances and disasters.

The speeches can be positive, snarky, real, funny, a bit dark, hopeful, or bleak.  Just remember that we are a family-friendly website so no foul language (entries containing inappropriate material will be removed) and remember not to use real first and last names unless you have permission.  Be creative. Be true.

If you could be the speaker at graduation, what would you say?

Teen Trend Report Overview:
  • Teen Trend Report about Teens and GraduationVISITS:  Over 4,400 teens and college students visited the StageofLife.com writing contest during the month's writing prompt (May 2014) from across the US (all 50 states) and dozens of international countries.

• ESSAY THEMES:  Out of all of the topics discussed, several major themes were collectively revealed by teens and their feelings about speaking to their class on graduation. 
  • StageofLife.com writing contest summary details

STUDENT ESSAYS:

185+ teen bloggers submitted a qualifying essay to the "What would you say to your class if you were the graduation speaker?" writing prompt. 
  • ESSAY WINNER:  Place winners, along with Runners Up and finalists were selected. 
  • RESOURCES:  View the graduation speech resources we provided for review during the writing contest period.

PART I Statistics about Teenagers and Graduation

Before submitting their StageofLife.com writing contest essay, teens were asked to complete a survey containing some questions about graduation ceremonies and graduation.  Here are the teen statistics from the StageofLife.com survey from the students who fully completed the poll...
  • 85.4% of teens, when asked the question, "On a scale of 1-5 (1 being least important and 5 being most important) how important do you believe graduating from high school is in today’s society?" said "5".  The percentage of students who gave the "5" ranking (most important) dropped to 53% when the question asked about getting a college degree and dropped again to 22.47% when asked about getting an advanced degree.
  • 72.7% of teens have attended a graduation ceremony for a family member or friend.
  • 60% of teens feel that the graduation and commencement speeches are "worth listening to"; however, that percentage drops to 43% of students who actually remember something from the graduation speech (implying more than half of the commencement speakers are forgettable).
  • 39% of teenagers fear public speaking; however, 57% of students say they would still like the opportunity to be a graduation speaker.
  • 41.7% of teens know someone personally who dropped out of high school.
  • 21% of teens said that people blow air horns during the graduation ceremony at their high school.
  • 23.4% of teens replied "yes" when asked, "Have you ever seen a beach ball being tossed amongst the graduating class before it is removed by a teacher or administrator at a graduation ceremony?"
    • 82.6% of teens say that graduation ceremonies should be "lighthearted and fun" verses the 17.4% who say graduation ceremonies should be "serious and formal."
    • Oprah, Ellen, and many others were nominated as special guests that students would like to invite to speak at their high school or college graduation.  For the full list of celebrities, download the full teen graduation ceremony statistics report below (PDF document). 
    Statistics about Teens and Graduation CeremoniesTo read the full survey results, click the PDF icon to view or save the free download.

SOURCE:  All statistics above were collected by StageofLife.com as part of its monthly teen trend reports containing statistics and writing contest prompt responses from teens on real world issues.

PART II:  STORY THEMES

After taking the survey, students submitted their writing contest essays to StageofLife.com.  From the qualifying teen essay submissions, several themes emerged:

Teenagers and GraduationThemes and Trends from the Essays:  "What Would I Say at Graduation?"

• Work Hard: After all of the tests, projects, and group work, some teens might think the days of studying and staying up late are over. Spoiler alert: it’s not. Whether they’re going into work, college, or the military, the hard work has only begun. Luckily, these teens understand the need to stay persistent in order to achieve their many goals.
    • Remember Where You Came From: The first thing many teens may want to do as soon as they graduate is leave their town. And while getting away may feel good, it’s important to remember where they came from, and what unique memories and experiences shaped these teens. High school might be over, but its memories are forever.
    • Keep Dreaming: The real world may not always be so kind. But these teens have worked hard to get where they are, and they are determined to see their dreams through to the end. These teens are aware that they may change their mind about their goals, but that doesn’t make them any less important.
    • Rite Of Passage: Graduation, like other major milestones, is an important rite of passage. It signifies the culmination of twelve years of education, of friendship, and of mentorships with teachers. Graduation is important to celebrate! So have fun and enjoy the ceremony you earned.

PART III:  READ the Teenagers Graduation ESSAYS

Teen Bloggers on StageofLife.comImmediately below, you'll find links to the StageofLife.com winning essay, our runners-up, semi-finalists, and all qualifying essays from college students and teenagers about graduation.

Please take a few moments to read an essay or two, especially our winner, runners-up, and finalists.

If you have the time, make a comment on the essays you enjoyed the most.  We know the student writers will love hearing your positive input (they'll get an email notifying them if you comment on their writing contest entry).

Writing contest winnerWriting Contest Winner & Finalists

First Place:
    Words to the Grads: Pack Light by ahoynikki (Challenge yourself, and enjoy life)

StageofLife.com student essay writers2nd Place: 
    Words to the Grads: A disco moon, velvet blazer, and wooden boat by marianna221b (We cannot predict where life will take us)

3rd Place (Tie):
    Words to the Grads: The Lurking “Real World” Monster by nredmond (This teen gets choked up at grad ceremonies)
    Words to the Grads: Not Like the Movies by jillwarrenjw (Life is defined by how we create it)

Writing Contest Runners UpRunners Up (in no particular order)
    Words to the Grads: Live in the Moment by icybluehue (This teen regrets not being more involved)
    Words to the Grads: From Grades to Greatness by jananir (This teen envies certain traits in classmates)
    Words to the Grads: Don’t Fear Failure by nakazawa2674 (We are destined to fail, but that’s not the end of the world)
    Words to the Grads: Ms. Turner Doesn’t Like You That Way by jolenega (We can all change the world)
    Words to the Grads: Crayons to Cords by kri14 (Diversity is truly a blessing)
    Words to the Grads: Fear by KendallVance12 (Live with happiness, not fear)

StageofLIfe.com writing contest submissions

Read teen essays from StageofLife.com national writing contest

Read All Qualifying Teen & College Essays for the StageofLife.com Writing Contest - "If you could be the speaker at graduation, what would you say?"

The essays below were all written by Stage of Life teen writers for this monthly teen writing contest...

Graduation Speech Categories

Speeches dealing with "Feelings"

1.     Words to the Grads: Life is Good by winkels817 (It is sad to move on, but life is still good)

2.     Words to the Grads: It’s Our Turn by wevegotthesedays (We take away feelings from school—not tests or grades)

3.     Words to the Grads: Graduation Talk by Nick Heid (It’s time to grow up and start maturing)

4.     Words to the Grads: Home stretch by Fred Jenkins (This teen would thank teachers and staff)

5.     Words to the Grads: Graduation by lionjin (This teen feels betrayed by her classmates)

6.     Words to the Grads by megatron13 (She feels empowered by the important people in her life)

7.     Words to the Grads: The Lurking “Real World” Monster by nredmond (This teen gets choked up at grad ceremonies)

8.     Words to the Grads: School Managed to Leave a Kind Impression on Me by ShakyeB (This teen felt oppressed by school)

9.     Words to the Grads: My graduation by swens08 (All of our hard work has paid off)

10.  Words to the Grads: Small School, Big Dreams by StephanieV06 (She is glad to graduate with only six other students)

11.  Words to the Grads: It’s Simple by jmcommack (Being yourself is the most important thing you can do)

12.  Words to the Grads: Memories Last, But We Still Move Along by StaceyLove28 (Success is a continuous journey)

13.  Words to the Grads: My graduation essay speech by Lauraveliz (We may not remember everything we learned, but we’ll remember the people)

14.  Words to the Grads by CSeely (This teen would thank all those involved in her life)

15.  Words to the Grads: Live in the Moment by icybluehue (This teen regrets not being more involved)

16.  Words to the Grads by zachwholt (This teen thinks graduations are taken too seriously)

17.  Words to the Grads: Late Nights and Laughter by akuakumi (Remember, above all else, the laughter)

18.  Words to the Grads: Forever isn’t really forever by Teresaaa (High school is a way of finding yourself)

19.  Words to the Grads: Best time of our lives by angieede13 (This teen loved high school)

20.  Words to the Grads: Don’t You Dare Say Bittersweet by DaniLedge (We feel much more than bittersweet)

21.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Thoughts by dylanstuckey (This teen spent high school daydreaming)

22.  Words to the Grads: Leaving So Soon? by ademaid (Cherish the time you have with the people around you)

23.  Words to the Grads: Goodbye by widgettlove (We are all destined for greatness)

24.  Words to the Grads: A Long Time Coming by Aforgottenmemory (Graduation is bittersweet)

25.  Words to the Grads: Where We Go From Here by weberae01 (Her classmates’ support meant the world to her)

26.  Words to the Grads: My Graduation Speech by ShaHo (This teen loved his high school experience)

27.  Words to the Grads: Commencement Speech by emonroe32 (This teen didn’t know what to make of all boys school at first)

28.  Words to the Grads: Running Won’t Always Work by Emmahunter123 (This teen remembers the drama of high school)

29.  Words to the Grads: Graduation by Lorenzjenna99 (Right now we are embarking on the “great escape”)

30.  Words to the Grads: Life Beyond the Lockers and the Hallways in Between by orangedolphn1836 (The most important thing is to be yourself)

31.  Words to the Grads: The Art Teacher and the Coach by annajoel (This teen remembers two special teachers in her life)

32.  Words to the Grads: Quadratic Formula by allison.cantimbuhan (High school is finally over)

33.  Words to the Grads: Live life by Kwokwai (Live life to the fullest)

34.  Words to the Grads: More than a Stereotype by gschan (Diversity and cultural acceptance is important)

35.  Words to the Grads: Know What Makes You You by maelee (Our past does not define us)

36.  Words to the Grads: Be Confident by omegajourney (Believe in yourself)

37.  Words to the Grads: Hypocrisy by EricSen (Stand up against peer pressure)

38.  Words to the Grads: Life Goes On by michellel97 (Success is nothing without happiness)

39.  Words to the Grads: Not winter, but the beginning of spring by Seo ha Kim (Life can be cold and merciless like winter)

40.  Words to the Grads: From Grades to Greatness by jananir (This teen envies certain traits in classmates)

Speeches dealing with "Moving On or Motivation"

1.     Words to the Grads: Since when was I a senior? by Jillsains (Despite all the hardship, it is time to graduate)

2.     Words to the Grads by 11002301 (This teen is excited to move on)

3.     Words to the Grads by [email protected] (Graduation is just a concept)

4.     Words to the Grads: My Ideal Graduation by cni183 (This teen wants a short and sweet graduation)

5.     Words to the Grads: We Did It! by annabanana (This teen imagines her classmates are scared to move on)

6.     Words to the Grads: Congratulations and Good Luck! by ExtraCredit (We worked hard to get where we are)

7.     Words to the Grads: Don’t Fear Failure by nakazawa2674 (We are destined to fail, but that’s not the end of the world)

8.     Words to the Grads: Give ‘em hell by thedreadpiratewesley (Take chances; take risks)

9.     Words to the Grads by Firewriath (This teen didn’t want to write a speech, but had well wishes)

10.  Words to the Grads by tta230 (Live life to the fullest)

11.  Words to the Grads: A Few Words of Parting Advice by nbunnell (We are destined for greatness)

12.  Words to the Grads by jdwilliams98 (Act One of our lives has just begun)

13.  Words to the Grads: Pack Light by ahoynikki (Challenge yourself, and enjoy life)

14.  Words to the Grads: At last by heylyn (This teen didn’t enjoy high school)

15.  Words to the Grads: Reminisce by superman27 (This teen feels prepared for life)

16.  Words to the Grads: 2016 Graduates by Avel Martinez (This teen thinks of his class like a family)

17.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech by trix11 (High school sucked and ruled)

18.  Words to the Grads by LynaMartinez (Go pursue your dreams)

19.  Words to the Grads by ashley_carter (She is glad to have graduated under such great teachers)

20.  Words to the Grads: Fear by KendallVance12 (Live with happiness, not fear)

21.  Words to the Grads: Moving On by lmarmorale (Don’t be afraid of failure)

22.  Words to the Grads: Onwards and Upwards (and maybe a little Diagonal-ways) by hand.trey (College will not be easy, but it will be worth it)

23.  Words to the Grads by random (Graduating helps us become better people)

24.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech by sarahgarten (Take your time to find what you love)

25.  Words to the Grads: Scared Little Freshman No More by Dania Pagarkar (Keep trying, even when you don’t want to)

26.  Words to the Grads: It’s about moving on to better by suejean5 (May the future be all that you hope)

27.  Words to the Grads by markilesjr (Challenge yourself to be better)

28.  Words to the Grads: Sports by musa0567 (Soccer teaches you to work well on a team)

29.  Words to the Grads by ARGANISE (Don’t give up now)

30.  Words to the Grads: Light the Trail by allison62997 (Don’t let stop you from being great)

31.  Words to the Grads: Work Hard by Armando (Life after high school is going to be hard)

32.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech by Theo Samouris (It is time to make the world a better place)

33.  Words to the Grads: My speech to this year’s graduating class by Nick Heid (This teen gives advice for surviving college)

34.  Words to the Grads by Steven (Remember to pay it forward)

35.  Words to the Grads: A Sundevil Beginning by chooj (This teen hopes the “Sundevil way” remain important to classmates)

36.  Words to the Grads: Being Yourself Proves Beneficial to Everything by cathy12ize (Follow your goals influence you)

37.  Words to the Grads: We’re All Wrong by wesleyy01 (We are nearly identical, so figure life on your own)

38.  Words to the Grads: Embrace Rejection by klammert (Without taking a risk, we’d never know if we could beat the odds)

39.  Words to the Grads: Goodbye Training Wheels by julia1997 (High school is just training for life)

40.  Words to the Grads: Ms. Turner Doesn’t Like You That Way by jolenega (We can all change the world)

41.  Words to the Grads: We Are Ready by ninabean (College awaits these grads)

42.  Words to the Grads: Life is a Highway by ZachSpurrier (Don’t worry about the past)

43.  Words to the Grads: Winning by xmyangx (We will rule the world)

44.  Words to the Grads: The Perspective of a Fellow Graduate by Bri G. (Some people will not meet their goals)

45.  Words to the Grads: You Are Finally Free by radiancewithin (Remember you are always welcome home)

46.  Words to the Grads: Buckle Up by 1815885 (Who’s ready for an adventure?)

47.  Words to the Grads by TechnoPC (If your parents did it, so can you)

48.  Words to the Grads: The story of your life by michael.nathanson.7 (Never forget the memories that you who you are)

49.  Words to the Grads: A New Journey Awaits by kajalpatel877 (This teen learned to rely less on others)

50.  Words to the Grads: Welcome to the age, your age by jag (Our futures are bright)

Speeches dealing with "Nostalgia"

1.     Words to the Grads: End of the Chapter Review by HeyThere (This teen learned a lot in high school, and plans to continue learning)

2.     Words to the Grads: Time to Graduate! by MelLovesBatman (She reflects on high and middle school memories)

3.     Words to the Grads by TJ (Eighth grade seems like so long ago)

4.     Words to the Grads: A sudden realization by Trinken (This teen is moved by the thought of growing up with her classmates)

5.     Words to the Grads: MS(2) Status by midan1996 (This teen is moved by the people who helped her)

6.     Words to the Grads: Mr. Waters Building Principal and the Steep Hill to Success by krissy2014 (She fondly remembers middle school)

7.     Words to the Grads by lifelover*8 (Don’t rush to leave your town)

8.     Words to the Grads by flergenmydergen (You won’t remember all the memories, but they were good)

9.     Words to the Grads: High school is a big step in life by laradaniel97 (She graduated US high school in Mexico)

10.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Day by Skylar (We say we won’t miss high school, but we will)

11.  Words to the Grads: A New Life by jonnyma13 (It’s hard to let go of the past)

12.  Words to the Grads: A summary of our years by The Dude (This teen recalls the last four years)

13.  Words to the Grads by Sir Jew12 the Great (This teen has many fond memories of school)

14.  Words to the Grads: Thanks for the Memories by melinaroussos (This teen didn’t always enjoy high school)

15.  Words to the Grads: What a Ride by chrishamian (We will never forget high school)

16.  Words to the Grads: Adventure the Real World by estef_alvarez (We spend half the year in school)

17.  Words to the Grads by jazzi00 (This teen thinks her class was the best)

18.  Words to the Grads: Dear Class of 2016 by yosedit (Remember how it felt in the beginning of high school?)

19.  Words to the Grads: From the Past to the Present (2001-2015) by daisyG23 (These teens have come a long way)

20.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech by bgreenberger (Don’t forget where you come from)

21.  Words to the Grads: A memorable high school career by [email protected] (This teen remembers the fun events that came with high school)

22.  Words to the Grads: Graduation by ddirocco07 (High school was a mix of good and bad memories)

23.  Words to the Grad: Enjoy the Ride by lauraansleigh (This teen survived some tough classes)

24.  Words to the Grads by LawtonBenna14 (We’ve become each other’s lifelong friends)

25.  Words to the Grads: Dear Bob and the Rest of the Graduating Family by iChloe98 (She recounts an epic senior prank)

26.  Words to the Grads: Remember by nedaskier (Remember where you came from)

27.  Words to the Grads: Individuals in a Group by Aleigh Guerndt (We all did our own thing, but are graduating with a sense of togetherness)

28.  Words to the Grads: Carpe Diem by Blzt (This teen fondly recalls senior skip day)

29.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech by jackdashwood (This teen loves his “brothers”)

30.  Words to the Grads by nourhayek (Our parents push us to do well)

31.  Words to the Grads: Why Should We Give Up Now When We Have Come This Far by salutations100 (Freshman year feels like yesterday)

32.  Words to the Grads: Final Thoughts by johnnym1176 (We can all change the world)

33.  Words to the Grads: Transformers by Christina_Lane01 (Don’t live in a fantasy world)

34.  Words to the Grads: Never Forget by ladyd3000 (Don’t forget the people and the memories)

35.  Words to the Grads: Physics and Spanish by musa0567 (This teen remembers the interesting things that happened during the year)

36.  Words to the Grads: Graduation by Peytonmurasky (This teen remembers wearing the famous freshman beanies)

37.  Words to the Grads: High school is a unique experience by bengrogan (All our hard work has paid off)

38.  Words to the Grads: Beginning of our lives together by KL51607 (She remembers meeting a kind teacher)

39.  Words to the Grads: Commencement Speech by malves980 (Everything seems scary and hard at first)

40.  Words to the Grads: Fight on you Saints, keep your heads in the air by DomGon14 (These teens share a close, important bond)

41.  Words to the Grads: Together We Started, Together We Finished by megumi (Don’t forget the kid who first walked into first grade)

42.  Words to the Grads: Many Roads to Come by KT (Twelve years ago, this teen could not imagine graduating)

43.  Words to the Grads: Live Long and Prosper by chilipino9 (Let high school’s great moments lead you home)

44.  Words to the Grads: Remembrance by shaniehuynh (This teen loved working hard in school)

45.  Words to the Grads: Beginnings by andi620 (Beginnings are always messy)

46.  Words to the Grads: Always Sundevils by umamv5 (This teen remembers seeing a fight for the first time)

47.  Words to the Grads: I’ll Miss You Guys by puffdaddy (This teen recalls fond memories)

48.  Words to the Grads: A Step Into Future by deidrellnoraine (She remembers the hard freshman swim test)

49.  Words to the Grads: First Day of the Rest of Our Lives by aliengelhardt (We’ve learned tons of life lessons and didn’t even know it)

50.  Words to the Grads: Spirit and Coming Together by tracytuong (This teen loved being connected with classmates)

51.  Words to the Grads: A Journey to Remember by Amorgan (We all grew together, and now we graduate together)

52.  Words to the Grads: A Poetic Au Revoir by jcb (This teen wrote a poem in lieu of a speech)

Speeches dealing with Spiritual themes

1.     Words to the Grads by njh9542 (This teen won’t forget her classmates)

2.     Words to the Grads: The C’s of High School by Sophia Kaylee (Christ is the most important part of life)

3.     Words to the Grads: The Saints Brotherhood by alexfuribe (Remember the brotherhood and faith)

4.     Words to the Grads: Cheers to the Teenage Years by jazmyn.rose.2013 (God forgives and gives)

5.     Words to the Grads: Graduating class of 2014 by esteban (Deepen your relationship with God)

Speeches dealing with "Success

1.     Words to the Grads: Ellen Cloutier’s Speech by ellenmccloutier95 (This teen turned her life around since 9th grade)

2.     Words to the Grads: Jump Right In by sfblack12 (We can be anything we want to be)

3.     Words to the Grads: We’re Free by NVoeh1 (This teen feels ready for college/life)

4.     Words to the Grads: Graduation Day by Corwyn (Figuring out what you want to do with life is hard)

5.     Words to the Grads: The beginning to your future by alyssamiranda17 (When we were freshman, we just wanted to be seniors)

6.     Words to the Grads: This is Not the End by mdiscala13 (Our lives are only beginning)

7.     Words to the Grads by Benhaha (We have accomplished so much so far)

8.     Words to the Grads by EliseRod24 (Take advantage of school and learning)

9.     Words to the Grads: Failure is okay, but giving up isn’t! by Jas (We’re all destined for different paths)

10.  Words to the Grads: Graduation Speech for the Class of 2015 by Gen121612 (This teen compares high school to the earth)

11.  Words to the Grads: To Have Succeeded by kyle.tresdos (Anyone can succeed if they try hard enough)

12.  Words to the Grads: Porfap’s Awesome Story by Kofi Akosah (Work hard for success)

13.  Words to the Grads: Crayons to Cords by kri14 (Diversity is truly a blessing)

14.  Words to the Grads by obey.rad (This teen truly feels he will be successful)

15.  Words to the Grads: Graduation by danihinchman (We all worked incredibly hard to get where we are now)

16.  Words to the Grads: Procrastination is your worst enemy by terryyoon (Get your work done on time)

17.  Words to the Grads: Future by arp-arp (Don’t treat others as side characters)

18.  Words to the Grads: Ready to Face the World by mzhang1222 (Schoolwork has prepared us for the real world)

19.  Words to the Grads: Graduating into a New Chapter by tsimawang (Don’t shy away from failure)

20.  Words to the Grads: It’s Not Like the Movies by joanne.yue.97 (We experienced a lot during our school careers)

21.  Words to the Grads: Life’s guidebook by Sally Yen (Eat well, play hard, and do good)

22.  Words to the Grads: Always move forward by k.p.thomas (When things get tough, keep working hard)

23.  Words to the Grads: Commencement Speech by cynthisizer (Never give up)

24.  Words to the Grads: Not Like the Movies by jillwarrenjw (Life is defined by how we create it)

25.  Words to the Grads: Our Next Chapter by KevinTran619 (This teen learned what it meant to belong)

26.  Words to the Grads: Savor the Experience by amm559 (Get involved in school)

27.  Words to the Grads: What Senior Year Taught Me by gayatrigkrishnan (This teen’s status quo was rocked)

28.  Words to the Grads: A disco moon, velvet blazer, and wooden boat by marianna221b (We cannot predict where life will take us)

29.  Words to the Grads: The Story, Thus Far by parkman2626 (This teen still needs to get into college)

30.  Words to the Grads: You Matter by missannat08 (Every has their own unique story)

31.  Words to the Grads: Danger: horrible clichés ahead by MidnightSunset (Don’t be afraid to celebrate)

Graduation Speech Resources

The following resources were provided for the students during this month's writing contest about teenagers and graduation speeches...

Education Prize Sponsors

Education writing sponsor - IHOP

Education essay sponsor - Papa John's

Resource Links

PR Sponsor - Own the Room

Own the Room

Separate from the StageofLife.com contest, we wanted to also let you know about the Own the Room's "Best Graduation Speech" contest!  It's in conjunction with Parade Magazine...check it out...

Enter Graduation Speech Contest

Writing Contest Prize Package...
    • The student (high school or college) who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP
    • SWAG package from StageofLife.com
    • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
    • Bragging rights
    NOTE: 
    Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

Please thank our sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP, for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com

Videos about Graduation

"The Best Graduation Speech Ever"

An original commencement address using a keyboard player and an extended metaphor about applying to college.

Ellen Degeneres Graduation Speech

Degeneres’ Commencement Address to Tulane University.  Quite funny.

Compilation

This video compiles some famous words at recent graduation speeches.

J.K. Rowling's Harvard Graduation Speech

Rowling’s Commencement Address to graduates of Harvard.  Both funny and poignant about life’s failures and creativity.

Deonte Bridges Graduation Speech

A moving graduation speech from a student who overcame adversity to get to the top of his class.

John Green Graduation Speech

Green’s Commencement Address to graduates of Butler University.
      Enter our Twitter Contest
      Enter our Photo Contest
       Enter Twitter Contest  Enter Photo Contest
      Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Teen Writing Contest 
      ATTENTION TEACHERS:
      Notes to the Teacher

Writing contests on StageofLife.comWriting Contests on Stage of Life

StageofLife.com hosts educational, national, monthly writing and blogging contests for teens and college students.  In its mission to provide students an authentic community to share their opinions and publish their ideas, StageofLife.com will strive to continue its commitment to giving teens and college students a larger voice. 

We welcome you to explore our writing contests, our mission and the literacy principals on which it Stage of Life was founded.

Contact StageofLife.comIf you should have any questions about this writing contest summary, please contact us, or explore our other writing contest information pages...