Featured Blogs about Having a Baby

Parents share thoughts on babies, birth and more.

Contact Stage of Life as a Featured BloggerBefore reading the below essays submitted by our featured bloggers...

Do you write?  Do you have your own blog?  Do you want a national venue to share your thoughts and advice?  Contact Us if you want to be considered as a Featured Blogger on Stage of Life in the Having a Baby stage.

Having A Baby Blog Archive

The Can

Posted by: MariaRose on 03/14/2013

It was a can of the good stuff.

After a few hours sorting through donations in my community’s food shelf and finding a dishearteningly high number of expired products, that can of Enfamil lifted me up. It’s always exciting when someone donates baby formula –it’s something our clients need and we never have enough of. But snuggled near the bottom of a pile of canned tuna, macaroni and cheese and jalapeño Ramen noodles, this can seemed to be buried treasure. It was for babies whom ev... Read More

Changing providers at 24 weeks pregnant

Posted by: Megan_R on 02/05/2013

At my last check-up at the OB-GYN practice I had been using, the midwife I was primarily working with told me that she wouldn't be there for my delivery.

"Vacation?" I asked. She shook her head. No, not vacation - she was leaving the practice.
"Why? Where are you going?" She explained that she was leaving to work at a more midwife friendly hospital. More midwife friendly? I immediately started asking question.

Have you taken the "Give It Up To Help" quiz?

Posted by: Collette on 12/10/2012

As a StageofLife.com Editor, I wanted to create a little awareness about the GIVE IT UP TO HELP campaign. This holiday it’s not about what you give, but what you give up. "Give It Up To Help" asks people to give up little luxuries this holiday season and donate the savings to Be The Match®, an organization that connects patients with their donor match for a life-saving marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant. Contributions will help run the Be The Match marrow registry, fund research and hel... Read More

Midwife or Doctor?

Posted by: Megan_R on 09/28/2012

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had already established a relationship with a certified nurse midwife and OBGYN. They both worked out of an office conveniently located in the hospital. I had wonderful care during my picture-perfect pregnancy. They were open and receptive to my desire for an all-natural labor and birth. I wanted to be intervention free, because I trusted my body to do what it was made to do.

Confessions of a POAS addict

Posted by: Megan_R on 08/07/2012

Trying to conceive is a tricky business - or so I've heard. I've read instances of women trying for YEARS and not being able to make a baby without the help of outside forces. Studies say that there's only a 15% chance of getting pregnant each month. The odds are NOT in your favor.

Push Presents - Dads Take Note

Posted by: Penelope on 05/18/2012

My husband bought me an incredibly thoughtful "push" present two months prior to the due date of our daughter. It was a personalized pendant necklace that had the first initial of our daughter's name.

I wore it everyday...until the baby came.

It turned out that during breastfeeding, my little girl loved to reach out and PULL on this gorgeous necklace. I had to take it off for about a year, but I recently started wearing it again.

In Debt for Life? How to Raise a Kid Without Going Broke

Posted by: NicPenningtonSmyth on 05/02/2012

Your little bundle of joy is adorable, and of course you'll do anything for her. In the early days, you'll wake frequently to change the diapers. When she's 13, you'll drive her to soccer practice and mall meet-ups. When she starts to date, you'll interrogate several sweaty young men in your finely furnished den, knowing that this room, in their eyes, is made of cinderblocks and lit by a single hanging bulb. You'll laugh inside at this game. You'll do more than all this, though. You'll put your... Read More

Top Names for the First Quarter of 2012

Posted by: Penelope on 04/10/2012

The Hunger Games are trumping Twilight this year when it come to baby name choices. Check out this lHollywood inspired list of names getting the most attention for the first quarter of 2012, according to Nameberry.com

Girls
Rue
Adele
Ivy
Aria
Cyrus
Estelle
Blythe

Boys
EmmettRead More

Baby Discipline

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 02/13/2012

After taking a semester off from college, I started again this semester, and one of my classes is General Psychology. I sort of took the class thinking it would be interesting and it goes toward the general education I'm required to take. But today, I am amazed by all the things I get to learn from it. Really practical things.

They Grow Up Too Fast

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 01/04/2012

There are common phrases that get tossed around when you are near a baby. It's typical for people to stop and gawk all gooey eyed and say things like "you're baby is so adorable, so well mannered." They can't help themselves. Especially if they're older people. But then I also see plenty of young people, kids, teenagers, or young couples who can't resist staring at a baby. And there is a fascination we human beings have when it comes to age. We're always curious how old a person is, and w... Read More

Getting Rid of the Cats

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 01/03/2012

So when my wife and I were first married, we didn't intend on having a baby right away. So moving to a different state and not having very many friends and with it only being the two of us, she felt lonely. So on one of our trips to visit her family in North Carolina we found out about some kittens that needed to be adopted, we ended up adopting a brother and sister pair of kittens. For the few months that we had the cats, it was great, and they weren't a problem. And then we got pregnant. ... Read More

Are You Having A December Baby?

Posted by: Penelope on 12/06/2011

As we all know, each month has a birth stone. I was doing some research into birthstones, for a gift I'm planning, and figured I would share...

January Gemstone: Garnet
February Gemstone: Amethyst
March Gemstone: Aquamarine, Bloodstone
April Gemstone: Diamond
May Gemstone: Emerald
June Gemstone: Pearl, Moonstone, Alexandrite
July Gemstone: Ruby
August Gemstone: Peridot, Sardonyx
September Gemstone: Sapphire

2011 Baby Names!

Posted by: Penelope on 12/01/2011

Today, while listening to the radio at work they read the top ten baby names for 2011. As an expecting mother, I thought it would be great to share the list with other moms too! Take a look...

Girls

1. Isabella
2. Sophia
3. Emma
4. Olivia
5. Ava
6. Emily
7. Abigail
8. Madison
9. Chloe
10. Mia

Boys

1. Jacob
2. Ethan
3. Michael
4. Jayden

Pre-pregnancy Pants

Posted by: Megan_R on 09/22/2011

Who is that sexy momma strutting her stuff in those nice khaki pants? Oh, yeah, it's me! It's only taken me 18 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy pant size, and I'm gonna milk it for all it's worth! Granted, I don't totally look like I did before Little Toots started growing in my tummy; my hips are wider, my feet are bigger, and my boobs are, well...let's just say they look like they had been feed bags for a year. But, today, alleluia , praise be to the treadmill! Today, I bravely stepped ... Read More

It Starts Now

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 09/06/2011

Something my wife always says to me when I get angry or upset, and I show that emotion and we're in front of our baby girl, is that I have to be careful not to let her see that. I don't always pay attention to it. And sometimes, I don't even feel that agree with my wife when she gets on me about blowing up in front of the baby. But lately I've been thinking about my actions, I've been thinking about the kind of father I am and the kind of father I want to be. And I'm beginning to feel that ... Read More

What Every Woman should Know about Their Man After Having a Baby

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 08/31/2011

A while back I wrote a similar post about what every woman should know about their man during pregnancy, and so I thought it would be interesting to put together a similar piece about after the pregnancy.

My wife and I welcomed our daughter into our lives back in February. She is now nearing seven months and there are a lot of things I've discovered being a father in that time.

Choosing the right maternity bra

Posted by: Penelope on 08/02/2011

If you're pregnant or recently had a baby, you've probably found out by now the importance of wearing the right sized bra during your maternity period.

But what is the right bra to wear during or after your pregnancy? With so many companies and choices, where do you start in finding the right fit?

Early, Elective Deliveries Not Good for Babies

Posted by: shamaker on 03/01/2011

The Wall Street Journal has an article entitled "Push for More Pregnancies to Last 39 Weeks." A must-read for any expectant mother, it details the reasons why scheduling an induced or C-section delivery for no medical reason prior to 39 weeks can cause harm to the baby. And they do mean 39 weeks exactly--even 38 weeks and 6 days is not long enough for some babies, who need that extra day ... Read More

C-Sections are Crazy

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 02/18/2011

I have always thought that C-sections were crazy. I think my wife and I both thought it would never happen to her. We were both pretty confident that with our first baby, she'd be able to push her out fine without having to depend on much medicine to intervene the process. But as many mothers and fathers out there probably know, we can't always get it the way we want it.

Waiting

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 02/15/2011

As I now write this, my wife is hooked up to machines, she is all drugged up, and we are waiting for our baby to escape the womb. I have this feeling of being just another father, another husband, to go through this experience. I do have to say though, that for each man, it must feel very unique, the first time. We can't all look at this situation lightly, and leave it at that, that if thousands of other men and couples can survive this, then we all can. Though this is true, it can never di... Read More

For the Sake of the Baby

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 01/24/2011

In a matter of weeks my wife and I will be welcoming our child into the world. We have been getting the house ready, and we are trying to be as prepared as we can. We live in Illinois, and we all know what the weather has been like in this part of the country this winter. Her greatest concern is that with having the baby in February, we are in the middle of flu season. So this means that if anyone is remotely sick, or if they've come in contact with anyone that has been or currently is sick... Read More

What Every Woman Should Know about Their Man During Pregnancy

Posted by: jasoncaleb on 01/13/2011

So my wife is about eight months along in pregnancy, she is due in the middle of February. We're excited, and the baby is excited also appearantly because she's constantly kicking her mother, like she's saying " I want out, I want out!" This past weekend we got the crib put together and the changing table, and so we're basically done getting the baby room together, just some odds and ends now. So I wanted to share some insights perhaps, on what you should know about your male partner during ... Read More

Having a Baby? Goal Setting for Your New Family

Posted by: Penelope on 12/29/2010

Expecting and New Parents...I wanted to share Stage of Life's free, universal goal setting worksheet for new parents or anyone who recently had or is about to have a baby.

Whether you use it as your "New Year's Resolution To-Do" list or as a tool to kick off fresh start with your new baby, this 10-step worksheet will help get you proactively thinking about the goals, possibilities and opportunities ahead.

Read More

"What to Expect When You're Expecting": The Movie?

Posted by: christinalouise on 11/03/2010

Entertainment Weekly recently reported that Lionsgate is planning to adapt the bestselling book "What to Expect When You're Expecting" for a movie.

We Live in Three Great Arcs

Posted by: Karl on 10/05/2010

I don't have a baby, but my wife and I are trying. As a part of this desire, I sometimes find myself thinking about the kind of father I will be. I had one such moment today while reading today's morning paper.

I came across Leonard Pitts Jr.'s editorial from the Miami Herald. It was about his trek for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day For The Cure.