Did You Know: Grandparents

grandparents statistics

Statistics about Grandparents

Stage of Life has statistics about grandparents. Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  If you have a statistic about grandparents to share, Contact Us along with the source and we'll determine if it should be placed on the Grandparent Statistics page.

Grandparenting Facts & Figures

Statistics about grandparents and grandparenting:

Statistics about grandparents

History of Grandparents Day:  According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Grandparents Day is the first Sunday after Labor Day and was developed by Marian McQuade of Fayette County, W.Va., who according to the U.S. Census Bureau, "hoped that such an observance might persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage of their grandparents."

Statistics about grandparents

4.9 million children (7%), under age 18, live in grandparent-headed households. That's up from 4.5 million living in grandparent-headed households 10 years ago.  I suspect this increase has to do with challenges in our economy over the past five years, including the housing and foreclosure crisis, the loss of jobs and general economic woes. Clearly, grandparents are increasingly providing the stability and security of home for their families.

Source:  AARP.org  View report

Statistics about grandparents

Approximately 20% of these children (964,579) have neither parent present and the grandparents are responsible for their basic needs. This is a decrease from 2000, when approximately one-third lived without parents. This is most likely because of the increase in multigenerational homes headed by grandparents that include grandparent, parent and grandchild, and another likely result of economic conditions.

Source:  AARP.org  View report

Statistics about grandparents

1.9 million children are living in households headed by other relatives (2.5% of the children in the country). This number is up from 1.5 million in 2000. This figure speaks to the fact that aunts, uncles, cousins and even siblings are also stepping in to support America's children when they need it the most.

Source:  AARP.org  View report

Statistics about grandparents

51% of grandparents who have grandkids living with them are white (up from 46% in 2000); 24% are Black/African American (down from 28% in 2000); and 19% are Hispanic/Latino (down slightly from 20% in 2000). For grandparents reporting responsibility for grandchildren 67%are under age 60, which is down from 71% in 2000. And 20% live in poverty; up from 18.8% in 2000.

Source:  AARP.org  View report

Statistics about grandparents

3.6%:  Percentage of grandparents living with their grandchildren (5.8 million grandparents).

Source:  U.S. Census Bureau.  View report

Statistics about grandparents

1978:  Year that President Jimmy Carter signed the first presidential proclamation designating National Grandparents Day. The first official observance was Sept. 9, 1979.

Source:  U.S. Census Bureau.

Statistics about grandparents

Click here to see some interesting facts from the Census Bureau about Grandparents and their Grandchildren.

Statistics about grandparents

Have a statistics or piece of information about grandparents or grandparenting to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Informational Grandparent Video

Your Statistics Comments

What did you think about the grandparent statistics above?  Do you have a statistic to share?  Tell us now...