Featured Blogs about Grandparents

Stories, widsom and advice about and from Grandparents.

Contact Stage of Life as a Featured BloggerBefore reading the below essays submitted by our featured bloggers...

Do you write?  Do you have your own blog?  Do you want a national venue to share your thoughts and advice?  Contact Us if you want to be considered as a Featured Blogger on Stage of Life in the Grandparent stage.

Grandparents Blog Archive

Unique Gifts for Grandkids

Posted by: NicPenningtonSmyth on 04/16/2012

Gift-giving shouldn't be so hard, but it can be difficult keeping up with all of the trends. Pop culture evolves, and fads change as time goes by. Staying involved long enough to find a gift that will dazzle your grandkids can be a real challenge. What's popular anymore? Such-and-such replaced so-and-so, which had taken over for this, that and the other thing.

Keeping Mom Close, But Not Too Close

Posted by: Karl on 01/31/2012

I'm in my thirty's and am married. My wife and I are just settling in to our new home, and thinking about starting a family. On top of these exciting new changes, my mom has been experiencing several health problems. Her doctor has encouraged her not to live alone, as her condition worsens.

CHAPTER II

Posted by: barberoberts on 12/31/2011

From my blog: www.universalwomen.net

As the Quest continues her voyage, I am finding myself in uncharted waters. It is only now, at this time in my life, am I consenting to walk through doors that I would normally have been too frightened to see what was on the other side. But now I can see that I have been being prepared; prepared to develop my talents and skills and am now ready to take the risk and expose the real me to the world.

WABI-SABI

Posted by: barberoberts on 12/01/2011

The Japanese view of life embraced. A simple aesthetic
that grew stronger as inessentials were eliminated
and trimmed away.

"What do you want?" , he asks.

"Peace, peace and tranquility", she replies.

Holiday Memories Made to Last

Posted by: Ruth on 12/01/2011

As a grandma, the holidays with family are so important to me. Each year comes and goes, and some how I manage to not take any pictures. I take my camera to holiday partys, my childrens homes, basically every where, yet I never remember to actually pull it out and use it. So this year I am making a promise to myself, I WILL TAKE PICTURES!

I decided to do some research on things I can do with my photos to encourage myself to take some. I came across Read More

FOR EVERY SEASON

Posted by: barberoberts on 11/01/2011

I'm feeling a little rusty these days as I've not been putting my thoughts down on paper or in WordPress. I've written a few songs, but got away from daily blogging and The Quest has been adrift without her captain. I apologize to my shipmates.

The Grand Parenting Bar

Posted by: pammlofton on 09/17/2011

As a mother of four amazingly wonderful grown daughters, the thought of grandchildren may pass through my mind from time to time. And, I may or may not have mentioned to our daughters how lovely it would be to have some grandchildren. Until I gave it serious thought and began comparing myself to my own grandparents.

This could be a problem. They had the grand parenting role down pat.

Grandparents Safer Drivers Than Parents

Posted by: shamaker on 07/27/2011

A new study finds that grandparents are safer drivers than parents. "We were surprised to discover that the injury rate was considerably lower in crashes where grandparents were the drivers," said the study's lead author in an Associated Press story.

This makes me that much more likely to let my parents or in-laws drive my kids around:)

Tips on Household Sharing

Posted by: maril on 07/11/2011

Tips on Household Sharing

I promised I’d give some tips on multi-generational living. Where to begin? It’s easy to say what’s ideal. For instance, it would be ideal to have every household member be (a) easygoing; (b) flexible; (c) generous and (d) resourceful. Wonderful traits for all human beings, right? Problem is, you rarely meet the person who meets all your qualifications for the “ideal” human being. When you throw in the possibility of living with your o... Read More

CRAZY DAYS OF SUMMER

Posted by: barberoberts on 06/01/2011

I recall the song lyrics,

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Those days of soda and pretzels and beer

Dust off the sun and moon and sing a song of cheer...

You'll wish that summer could always be here

-Nat King Cole

Living in a Multi-Generational Household: Haven or Hell?

Posted by: maril on 05/24/2011

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about moving into a large house with our son, daughter-in-law and teenage grandkids. A lot has happened since then. Jim and Tiffany flew off to New York for a long weekend to celebrate their twentieth anniversary. My husband (also Jim) flew to Denver to visit a friend. That left me “in charge” of Jessica, Jamie, and our two dogs Amber and Stevie.

Moving Walls

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 05/15/2011

Ah, the joys of remodeling. It was supposed to be a simple job. “It should take only a day to install them,” the contractor assured me when I ordered my new laminated flooring. In a perfect world, perhaps, but then my world has never been perfect! They started on a Monday and finished on Saturday. (And no, it was not a full 8 hours each day although it seemed that way to me.) Between ripping up the old carpet, cleaning the cement, sanding, sawing, vacuuming, hours after hours of the smoke a... Read More

Upsized Again: Living in a Multi-generation Household

Posted by: maril on 05/15/2011

Two years ago, my husband and I moved from our downsized 1200 square foot townhouse with no outdoor maintenance to a five bedroom three and a half-bath suburban home surrounded by green lawns, decks and leaf-shedding trees.
No, we didn’t have to acquire a new furniture or a new lawnmower. We chose the house along with four other “new” household members: our son and daughter-in-law, both in their 40’s, and our two teenage grandchildren.

WHO ME?

Posted by: barberoberts on 04/21/2011

I keep a manila folder on my desk. It hides under the computer keyboard. The contents of the folder are of inspirational messages that I’ve down loaded, lyrics to music that inspire me, and reminders of my many blessings.

Today, as I searched through the folder (to find some pearls of wisdom), I came across the following:

HOME "TWEET" HOME

Posted by: barberoberts on 04/11/2011

Well spring has finally arrived here in Northeast Pennsylvania. The daffodils and narcissus have sprung from their winter resting places and now poke proudly through the ground waiting to show their stuff! I particularly like these flowers because the deer do not eat them and I can enjoy their beauty indoors as well as out. But the one sure sign for me that the weather is about to turn for good, and the atmosphere will be heating up, is the return of the Robins. Unfortunately they usually appea... Read More

SUNDAY DINNER

Posted by: barberoberts on 04/03/2011

Sitting with her ritual morning cup of coffee, Dreama is once again scratching her head thinking about what to make for Sunday dinner. As a child, her mother always made a large breakfast after church and Sunday school. Later in the day a wonderful feast would appear on the table complete with a homemade dessert! Family would arrive and the weekly Sunday dinner would commence. (Even though Dreama's mother was an excellent cook, she did come from the gen... Read More

MULTI-TASKER

Posted by: barberoberts on 04/01/2011

Posted on April 1, 2011 by Barb Roberts

When Dreama finally had a moment to sit down and unwind, perhaps to watch a little television, she noticed her husband busily working on the computer. Not paying too much attention she grabbed a blanket and pillow, settled into the couch and began to surf the stations for something to entertain her for the rest of the evening.

ERIN GO BRAGH!

Posted by: barberoberts on 03/17/2011

May there always be work for your hands to do.
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your windowpane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you!

A Different World

Posted by: barberoberts on 03/11/2011

Posted on March 11, 2011 by Barb Roberts

When I awoke at 2:30 AM for a late night, or should I say, early morning visit to the bathroom, I was alerted to a disaster of Biblical proportions on the radio playing softly on my nightstand. This was no dream. It was a nightmare! The announcer was broadcasting the devastating events taking place in Japan. I rushed to a television only to see with my eyes what my mind could not comprehend. As the tsunami waters engulfed the landscape, my fir... Read More

The Back Burner

Posted by: barberoberts on 03/08/2011

THE BACK BURNER
A Reflection
by
Barbara Roberts

Goal Setting for Grandparents

Posted by: Ruth on 12/29/2010

To kick off the New Year, I wanted to share Stage of Life's free, universal goal setting worksheet for Grandparents.

Whether you use it as your "New Year's Resolution To-Do" list or as a tool to kick off fresh start with your life, this 10-step worksheet will help get you proactively thinking about the goals, possibilities and opportunities ahead.

Grandparenting while parenting

Posted by: justcallmemom on 11/02/2010

I am one of the many grandparents who still have children "at home." Although my youngest is in college she comes home almost every weekend, so she is still here a lot. But when my oldest grandchild was born, my two youngest children were only 14 and 12 years old. They were thrilled to be aunties and loved playing with their niece. Over the years they have become favorites of all four of the grandchildren - after all, they can run and jump and roll around and play for hours with the little o... Read More

Grandma's house - leave your guilt and worries behind!

Posted by: justcallmemom on 09/27/2010

I think I have discovered one reason why grandchildren love to go to grandma's (and grandpa's) house - most of the time the main reason they are coming over is to just spend time with us . There is no real agenda - sometimes we might have an activity planned, but usually we just hang out - plain and simple - no pressure to produce anything constructive, no pressure to "hurry up because we have to be somewhere," in fact - no pressure!

Preserving the Newness

Posted by: ogeewiz on 05/17/2010

Grandparents (or let's just say it - "Old People"!) are always trying to preserve something, it seems. Food or memories - it's all the same. I was thinking about this as I picked up a piece of newly framed artwork this lovely spring evening.

The Faith of the Faithful

Posted by: mommy9 on 03/23/2010

There have been so many thoughts in my head since last week as well as an ache in my heart. There is no one like a grandfather or a grandmother. When I think about my grandparents from both sides of my family, I only remember the best things about them. The qualities and the character they possessed or possess is a true testimony of the reality of genuine faith that is tangible and real!