I'm Thankful for my home.

srciccarello
In 21 years of always having a home to go to, it never once occurred to me what it might be like to not have a home to go to. It was always there when I came home after school every day, and on weekends after I would go see friends. It was even still there after I went to college for months at a time. Sure, the color of the vinyl siding faded a bit as time went on, and my room has become increasingly dusty since I left for school. But never once did I walk onto an empty plot of land. Never once was there no kitchen table for dinner with my parents, or no 60” television in the living room. The refrigerator and cabinets are always stuffed with food and at night I have a bed to sleep in.

But then one day I decided to become involved with an organization known as Habitat for Humanity, because I wanted to do something special and new; something I had never done before. So I raised some money and hopped on a plane with 20 other students and spent my spring break in Biloxi, Mississippi, building three new houses for very deserving families who lost their homes during Hurricane Katrina. But even those first few days down south, I still was not seeing the bigger picture. Until locals started approaching us because they saw our Habitat for Humanity shirts. I figured our Boston accents would make us stick out like a sore thumb, but I quickly realized that people were flocking to us because of our shirts.

It didn’t matter if we were in line at Golden Corral or stopping to use a restroom at a fish market, people were ecstatic to see Habitat volunteers. Every one of them would stop us and tell us their story. They would tell us how they lost their front porches, or their roofs were ripped to shreds. My heart broke for these people, every time. I started to imagine how devastated I would be without my little green house on Elm Street, but I could not even allow my mind to go there. I would never recover.

I returned home after a week in the south and all I wanted to do was tell my parents how appreciative I am. I couldn’t do anything else but think of how courageous and incredible the survivors of Hurricane Katrina are that are able to pick up the pieces and keep going; the utter devastation they faced, but they still found a way to endure and move on. I find it hard to even articulate the amount of respect I have for survivors of such a disaster. I could never in a million years find the right words to express how thankful I am for my home. My bright green, slightly aged, old fashioned, wonderful home.

It's true...there's no place like home! That surely must have been both an eye opening and satisfying experience. To be in a position to do such positive help and gain for people in need is a great thing!
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:25:16 AM
Comment by srciccarello

It was incredible! I look forward to doing it again this year!
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:57:17 AM
Comment by Britt

You've really written a good piece here. You could almost turn it into a short, creative nonfiction piece if you felt up to it. I think your writing is strong enough to do something like that. That is to say, your piece is rather engaging, heartfelt, and charming. If you want to consider turning it into something bigger, I can definitely give you some pointers...if you were to need them.
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:40:53 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that the essay you submitted above was one of the semi-finalists for our November college student writing contest.

Congratulations!

We look forward to reading more of your essays and obversations about life on the site!

Don't hesitate to Contact Us if you have any questions.

Eric

Eric Thiegs
CEO/President
Stage of Life
www.stageoflife.com
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 4:02:13 PM