Gaming Statistics

Video game statisticsStatistics on Purchasing and Playing Video Games - Students and Parents

You may be surprised by some of these gaming statistics we found posted on the ESRB website (they are in charge of the age and content advisory ratings for video games):
  • Average age of a gamer: 34
  • Average age of the most frequent game purchaser:  39
  • 25% of gamers are 18 years or younger and 26% of gamers are over 50.  Most gamers are between 18-49 (49%)
  • 67% of all U.S households play video games
  • 40% of gamers are female
  • 48% of parents play games with their children at least weekly
  • 76% of parents believe that parental controls in all new video game consoles are useful
  • Parents place time usage limits on video games more than any other form of entertainment.  In fact, 83% of parents impose gaming time usage limits for their children
  • 93% of the time, parents are present when their children purchase a game
  • 64% of parents feel that gaming is a positive part of their children's lives
  • 86% of the time children receive their parent's permission before buying or renting a video game
  • 273 Million video games sold ($10.5 Billion in revenue) in 2009
To see more from the ESRB on video game statistics for students and parents, visit their Video Game Statistics Infograph

If you have other statistics on the video game industry or trends in students and parents playing video games, contact us and we'll review for featuring the information or sources here on this page.

What Do You Think?

Share Your Essay or RecommendationWith hundreds of thousands of students visiting StageofLife.com, take 15 minutes and submit a recommendation, review or essay of your own to encourage people to consider your point of view on a particular topic.  You may just inspire someone.

Find more Entertainment information for students on StageofLife.com
Explore more essays, statistics, review and information for teens and college students on Entertainment topics such as Comic Books & Graphic Novels, Video Games, Movies, Music, Books and more on StageofLife.com.

Contact Stage of LifeWhile you can add your own stories to StageofLife.com at any time, if you have ideas for new content, features or editorial topics for Stage of Life to add, don't hesitate to contact us.