Benefits of Gaming

Benefits of Playing Video Games

Video games can provide an outlet for entertainment, a suspension of reality, and even simply act as a time killer – but research indicates that gaming can also have positive benefits on a person’s health and well-being. Research attributes such benefits to gaming: increasing dexterity and reflex times, improving eyesight, and even improving cognitive development. Gaming has also been used in medical settings, especially in physical therapy to help patients regain motor and coordination skills, but also as pain diversion for patients undergoing particularly painful treatments.

More benefits of gaming include:
  • Stress relief
  • Increasing reading comprehension
  • Requiring quick thinking and problem solving
  • Enhancing creativity ability and art appreciation
  • Promoting fitness and weight loss (with fitness based games)
  • Improving social skills
  • Improving concentration skills (especially in attention deficit disorder patients)
  • Increasing multi-tasking abilities
  • Encouraging cooperation and teamwork
However, while there are many positive effects to gaming, students and parents should also be aware of the negative aspects of gaming too.

Sources:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2011/12/the-benefits-of-video-games/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/22/the-social-benefits-of-video-games/

What Do You Think?

Share Your Essay or RecommendationWith hundreds of thousands of students visiting StageofLife.com, take 15 minutes and submit a recommendation, review or essay of your own to encourage people to consider your point of view on a particular topic.  You may just inspire someone.

Find more Entertainment information for students on StageofLife.com
Explore more essays, statistics, review and information for teens and college students on Entertainment topics such as Comic Books & Graphic Novels, Video Games, Movies, Music, Books and more on StageofLife.com.

Contact Stage of LifeWhile you can add your own stories to StageofLife.com at any time, if you have ideas for new content, features or editorial topics for Stage of Life to add, don't hesitate to contact us.