Watchmen - Graphic Novel Review

Watchmen - Recommended Graphic NovelRecommended Graphic Novel for Students - WATCHMAN

Who Watches the Watchmen?
by Shaina, StageofLife.com College Editor and uber-comic-book Fan Girl.

Watchmen has been one of the greatest graphic novels in existence since V for Vendetta. Watchmen was created by Alan Moore and the artistry by Dave Gibbons. The more you read this graphic novel, the more you can pull out of it. Each time, reading it over and over something grasps you, something you didn’t notice before. For years comic entrepreneurs have read Watchmen, continuing to pull out new information. Alan Moore himself admits he still finds information he didn’t realize he added in.

Watchmen is a story about past and present superheroes whose lives have changed over the years. Most have gone into retirement, their identities now known to the public. In the graphic novel the original Watchmen called the Minutemen started in the 1940’s. Over the years the heroes were gunned down, murdered, replaced and deemed mentally insane. Now in the 1980’s the novel focuses mostly on the current heroes who recently disbanded their group. Dr. Manhattan was a scientist who ended up locked in a chamber that atomically reconstructed his genetic makeup. He was able to create a new human out of himself that understands immense knowledge and is outside of time. The beginning starts out at the death of the Comedian by an unknown assassin. The superhero team faces a dilemma as they realize someone is picking them off one by one.

The superheroes in the book are notably related to existing DC Comic characters. Dr. Manhattan is reminiscent of the Atom and the Martian Manhunter J’onn J’onzz. Nite Owl has parts of Batman and the Blue Beetle as we can see from the ship he uses named Archie. Silk Spectre we can see ideas of Wonder Woman. Putting this comic on a rating scale, it gets a sky high 10.

NOTE:  This graphic novel is recommended for mature students only, i.e. late high school or college.

What Do You Think?

Share Your Essay or RecommendationWith hundreds of thousands of students visiting StageofLife.com, take 15 minutes and submit a recommendation, review or essay of your own to encourage people to consider your point of view on a particular topic.  You may just inspire someone.

Find more Entertainment information for students on StageofLife.com
Explore more essays, statistics, review and information for teens and college students on Entertainment topics such as Comic Books & Graphic Novels, Video Games, Movies, Music, Books and more on StageofLife.com.

Contact Stage of LifeWhile you can add your own stories to StageofLife.com at any time, if you have ideas for new content, features or editorial topics for Stage of Life to add, don't hesitate to contact us.