The Long Halloween - Graphic Novel Review

Recommended Graphic Novel for College Students

The Long Halloween
by Shaina Lucas, StageofLife.com College Editor and uber-comic-book Fan Girl.

The Long Halloween

The Long Halloween is a Batman work by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale published in 1996. The idea for this work was started by Archie Goodwin who loved the idea of continuing the story about gangsters in Gotham City and the reign of Carmine Falcone. The main plot of the story is someone is killing off The Roman’s family and thugs, but who is it? No one can seem to pin the crime, even the Joker is looking for the killer called Holiday. Holiday murders members of the Falcone syndicate on each holiday of the year, starting on Halloween with the murder of Johnny Viti.

Not to give away any spoilers, but we get the creation of Two-Face in this comic.

This comic series, which was collected into one big graphic novel, is meant to create paranoia and suspicion. Throughout the entire series the audience can’t even begin to guess who the killer Holiday is. Over 3 people are accused of being Holiday, but the real truth isn’t revealed until the very last few pages. It represents the struggles we have with ourselves, what is right and what is wrong?

It should be noted that this comic though is set up for a more mature audience. The campy Batman is gone and replaced with the dark and gruesome characters we now know. The artwork is different than the usual style going with Tim’s more darker and ominous sketches.  And spoiler alert...there are a couple of steamy scenes between Bruce Wayne and Poison Ivy as well as Catwoman and Batman. 

Share Your Graphic Novel RecommendationWant to submit a review or essay of your own to encourage visitors to StageofLife.com to read your favorite graphic novel?

Find more Entertainment information for students on StageofLife.comWant to find more essays and information for teens and college students on Entertainment topics such as Comic Books, Movies, Music and more at StageofLife.com?