Person to Watch in 2012

Person to Watch in 2012Person to Watch in 2012

TIME magazine named "The Protestor" their Person of the Year for 2011.  That got us thinking...okay, but who is the person to watch in 2012? 

So, in looking back at the last 12 months and considering the future, we asked teens and college students who would they nominate as the Person to Watch for 2012, and why? 

We got a variety of replies, ranging from celebrities , innovators, politicians, cultural icons, up-and-coming artists,  rising stars and people more personal to our writers. 

From all the essays submitted, five trends emerged...

Teen Trends / Themes:

1.       Inspiration: The buzzword for this contest was “inspiration.” Teens nominated people they thought of as role models, or simply worthy of knowing.

2. Myself: Teens acknowledged that they are the most important people in their lives. Teens set ambitious goals for themselves, all with the purpose of making 2012 the best year so far.
  3. Everyday People: Most teens nominated brothers, sisters, moms, best friends, old friends, and interesting people in their town. Friends and family were entertaining, determined, and kind.
  4. Politicians: 2012 is an election year, and many teens speculated who would secure the Republican Presidential nomination. Teens also discussed local politics, and overseas leaders.
  5. Musicians: Teens talked about passionate and powerful music icons. These musicians were kind role models who inspired teens to be better people.

The Essays: 

Immediately below, you'll find featured links to the StageofLife.com winning essay, our semi-finalists and over 100 other Person to Watch essays from college students and teenagers that answered the question, "Who is the Person to Watch in 2012?"

Please take a few moments to read an essay or two. If you have the time, make a comment on the responses you enjoyed the most.  We know the student writers will love hearing your positive input (they'll get an email notifying them if you comment on their contest entry).

Student Writing Contest Winner

Winner: Person to Watch in 2012: The one who is invisible by danzlikekrazay (Be a friend to the outcasts)

Runners Up:

• Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong Un by rinusree (The leader of North Korea has the power to change the problematic country)
    • Person to Watch in 2012: The Real-Life Hermione by eksharp3000 (Watson is a role model for young women)
    • Person to Watch in 2012: The Man (Or Woman) in the Mirror by amanda.tucker (We are the most important people in our lives)

Finalists:

1. Person to Watch in 2012: The Man (Or Woman) in the Mirror by amanda.tucker (We are the most important people in our lives)

2. Person to Watch in 2012: Shailene Woodley by telltheworld (This young actress is talented, and involved in charity work)

3. Person to Watch in 2012: The Real-Life Hermione by eksharp3000 (Watson is a role model for young women)

4. Person to Watch in 2012: Hunter Hayes by gg.isaacson (Hayes is a self-made musician)

5. Person to Watch in 2012: Macklemore by caitlincrowe (A hip-hop artist that focuses on the perils of drug use)

6. Person to Watch in 2012: The Republican Presidential Candidate by mmdesjardin (Which candidate will be best for America?)

7. Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong Un by rinusree (The leader of North Korea has the power to change the problematic country)

8. Person to Watch in 2012: Derrick Rose and his Chicago Bulls by erikawick (Rose is the youngest NBA MVP)

9. Person to Watch in 2012: Swimmer Ryan Lochte by xcswim2012 (Ryan Lochte is a contender for the Olympic gold medal)

10. Person to Watch in 2012: The one who is invisible by danzlikekrazay (Be a friend to the outcasts)

11. Person to Watch in 2012: Rahul Francis, the Face of the Future by marchgirldancer (Her little brother was on Jeopardy!)

12. Person to Watch in 2012: Rachel Joy Scott & Rachel’s Challenge by vrn1998 (Scott’s death in Columbine inspired a nationwide campaign against bullying)

13. Person to Watch in 2012: Jack Jablonski—A Boy with Perseverance by volleyball97 (Jablonski’s spinal cord was severed in a routine game of hockey)

14. Person to Watch in 2012: Dr. Zack Howard by haleyhochstein (Her mentor makes incredible contributions to science)

15. Person to Watch in 2012: Angela Zhang: Girl Scientist by sherry3576 (Zhang has set out to find a cure for cancer)

Aside from the finalists, we had a wide variety of teen writing contest entry essays about the Person to Watch in 2012.  We've categorized the responses below:

Myself

1.  Person to Watch in 2012: The Man (Or Woman) in the Mirror by amanda.tucker (We are the most important people in our lives)
    2.  Person to Watch in 2012: Me by Mildstart (This teen is ready to take on the new year)
    3.  Person to Watch in 2012: Myself by eleanorh (2012 demands that she watches herself)
    4.  Person to Watch in 2012:  Myself by tianaaa14 (Focus on transforming yourself)
    5.  Person to Watch in 2012: The Thinkers by Lovemusic (We all have unique thoughts)
    6.  Person to Watch in 2012: Myself by lsampson (This teen is striving for a Ph.D.)
    7.  Person to Watch in 2012: Unique Lifestyles by brianaUT (This teen is going to change her habits for the better)
    8.  Person to Watch in 2012: Me, Myself, and I by mia.williams10 (This teen completely changed her life around)
    9.  Person to Watch in 2012: Me by JulieJuice96 (You control your destiny)
    10.  Person to Watch in 2012: The Girl in the Mirror by 21stcentury_girl (This teen’s future looks bright)

Actors

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Daniel Radcliffe by mollypotter6 (Daniel Radcliffe is an extremely talented actor)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Robert Downey Jr. and his sweet skills as an actor by Meena (RDJ changed her perspective on action movies)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: Shailene Woodley by telltheworld (This young actress is talented, and involved in charity work)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: Selena Gomez by Katieferrera (Gomez is extremely talented)
    5. Person to Watch in 2012: Selena Gomez by Speciaal_Kaay (Gomez is the perfect role model for young girls)
    6. Person to Watch in 2012: The “Girl on Fire” Jennifer Lawrence by LaurenS (This actress will surely catch on “fire” this year)
    7. Person to Watch in 2012: Bridgit Mendler by ccreed78 (Mendler is a promising Disney actress)
    8. Person to Watch in 2012: Jenifer Lawrence by jhowwy9 (Lawrence will be starring in the new The Hunger Games movie)
    9. Person to Watch in 2012: Demi Lovato by kaleighdepetro (Lovato inspired this teen to believe in herself)
    10. Person to Watch in 2012: Benedict Cumberbatch by REENA (Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series)
    11. Person to Watch in 2012: Jonah Hill by lilnin181 (Hill has personality and a sense of humor)
    12. Person to Watch in 2012: The Real-Life Hermione by eksharp3000 (Watson is a role model for young women)

Musicians

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Brad Paisley by gesala (Brad Paisley introduced this teen to country music)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Lee Brice: Rising country superstar by cibenebaby (Lee Brice has a good voice, and the ability to reach a young audience)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: Justin Bieber: Rising star or Falling comet? by zoe (Does Justin Bieber have star power?)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: Adele by nora.cortes (Adele has a beautiful singing voice)
    5. Person to Watch in 2012: Ellie Goulding by hannahelizabethk (Goulding inspires a return to folksy, meaningful music)
    6. Person to Watch in 2012: Taylor Swift and her teen following by anniezawriter (Swift understands the regular teen girl)
    7. Person to Watch in 2012: Hunter Hayes by gg.isaacson (Hayes is a self-made musician)
    8. Person to Watch in 2012: Lady Gaga by insanity6 (Lady Gaga positively influences culture)
    9. Person to Watch in 2012: Taylor Swift by KarahJoy (Swift is a positive role model)
    10. Person to Watch in 2012: Greyson Chance by SoraAngel (“Chance has what it takes to change reality.”)
    11. Person to Watch in 2012: Macklemore by caitlincrowe (A hip-hop artist that focuses on the perils of drug use)
    12. Person to Watch in 2012: Katy Perry by amberellison (Perry is successful and newly single)
    13. Person to Watch in 2012: Lady Gaga by ahardcastle (Lady Gaga inspires and influences many people)
    14. Person to Watch in 2012: Taylor Swift by Virginia Crivilescu. (Swift cares about her fans)
    15. Person to Watch in 2012: Adele by nikkicrader (Adele has a unique voice and soul)
    16. Person to Watch in 2012: The band KARMIN by mirandaleopold (A non-offensive band that began covering popular songs on YouTube)

Politicians/Activists

1. Person to Watch in 2012: The Republican Presidential Nominee by mattwiz (The Republican candidate could become the next American president)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Mitt Romney by MichaelSonsalla (Mitt Romney may be the next president)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: Mitt Romney—Republican Presidential Candidate? by MusicLover (Romney is a possible contender for the Republican presidential candidate)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: Gov. Scott Walker by swalczyk (Current governor of Wisconsin)
    5. Person to Watch in 2012: Chris Christie and his Radical Politics by agemery (Christie is the unpredictable governor of New Jersey)
    6. Person to Watch in 2012: President Obama, “The Man With A Plan” by runnergurl262 (Will Obama be reelected?)
    7. Person to Watch in 2012: Barack Obama, 44th President of the U.S.A. by krmurphy91 (Obama has a busy year ahead of him)
    8. Person to Watch in 2012: The Republican Presidential Candidate by mmdesjardin (Which candidate will be best for America?)
    9. Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong-un by [email protected] (Kim Jong-un rules the explosive country of North Korea)
    10. Person to Watch in 2012: Barack Obama by ezerilli12 (What will Obama do to be reelected?)
    11. Person to Watch in 2012: Presidential Candidate Ron Paul by albert.lopez (Paul is right for America)
    12. Person to Watch in 2012: Barack Obama by anthonymarsh55 (We need to be supportive of Obama)
    13. Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong Un by rinusree (The leader of North Korea has the power to change the problematic country)
    14. Person to Watch in 2012: President Hugo Chavez by carolina.wong (Chavez has brought suffering to the Venezuelan people)
    15. Person to Watch in 2012: Reverend James Manship and all Crusaders for Social Justice by jimmyrick21 (Manship fought for illegal immigrants’s rights to go to college in America)
    16. Person to Watch in 2012: Mitt Romney by cmgorton (Romney is a Christian candidate)

Athletes

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Derrick Rose and his Chicago Bulls by erikawick (Rose is the youngest NBA MVP)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Tim Tebow and “Tebowing” by williamscorn (Tebow could create the next religion revival)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: The Viper: WWE’s Randy Orton by KOyer (“There is no breaking the Ortron spirit.”)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: Swimmer Ryan Lochte by xcswim2012 (Ryan Lochte is a contender for the Olympic gold medal)
    5. Person to Watch in 2012: Tim Tebow by AddyMaddox (Tebow is a role model)
    6. Person to Watch in 2012: Michael Phelps by rugbydemon (Phelps has trained hard for the summer Olympics)
    7. Person to Watch in 2012: Aaron Rodgers by ryan.gentry (Rodgers is the quarterback for the Packers)
    8. Person to Watch in 2012: Patrick Connaughton by kevinmv069 (Connaughton is Massachusetts’s most impressive athlete)
    9. Person to Watch in 2012: CM Punk – The Cult of Personality by RudieCantFail (This wrestler has changed the world of wrestling)
    10. Person to Watch in 2012: Novak Djokovic by conniekdb (Djokovic could revolutionize tennis)
    11. Person to Watch in 2012: Oscar Pistorius: The fastest man with no legs by potaetoandhamm (Pistorius participated in the 2011 IAFF World Championships)

Everyday People

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Bryan Voltaggio by Alexis (Voltaggio is a restaurant tycoon in Frederick, MD)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Judah E. by QuincyBulin (Her friend is kind and intelligent)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: The one who is invisible by danzlikekrazay (Be a friend to the outcasts)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: The boy who makes me smile by CatttaStrophe (Her baby cousin will grow into a great man)
    5. Person to Watch in 2012: Emma Convington by PNGmade (Her sister is her best friend)
    6. Person to Watch in 2012: X Marks the Spot by bzhang1997 (This teen is looking to reignite an old friendship)
    7. Person to Watch in 2012: The Seventeen Year Old On the Road to Redemption by Armygirl0604 (Her friend went from friend to most hated enemy to tentative friend again)
    8. Person to Watch in 2012: My dad by pbajcessna (Her dad inspires her to do better)
    9. Person to Watch in 2012: Ed Hourihan: Operation Grandpa by TallmanJE (This teen’s grandpa is involved in charity work in Haiti)
    10. Person to Watch in 2012: Savannah Martiniere by mrosecw (This teen’s photography inspires others)
    13. Person to Watch in 2012: Veronica Blanch by kpocovi (Her mother experienced tragedy)
    14. Person to Watch in 2012: The willpower of women by rrbaranowski (“Debbie is a superwoman”)
    15. Person to Watch in 2012: My Amazing Older Sister by [email protected] (Her sister is her role model)
    16. Person to Watch in 2012: Ginger Snaps and Her Seeing Eye Human by Zinaidia21 (Her dog became blind in one eye)
    17. Person to Watch in 2012: Jack Jablonski—A Boy with Perseverance by volleyball97 (Jablonski’s spinal cord was severed in a routine game of hockey)
    18. Person to Watch in 2012: Seamus by mbince (Her little brother is a good influence)
    19. Person to Watch in 2012: Lynn Veenstra by veenstra14 (Her mom followed her dream and became a health coach)
    20. Person to Watch in 2012: Leonila Pacia Datu by aureliabee (Her grandmother was a woman of compassion and devotion)
    21. Person to Watch in 2012: Princess Sarah by artfreak889 (Her little sister has a laundry list of tasks to accomplish this year)
    22. People to Watch in 2012: The Formerly Isolated Mascho-Piro Indians by smcgibney (This tribe was recently discovered)

Entrepreneurs

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Kelle Khalil by GES (Khalil started her own search engine)

Writers/Bloggers

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Tavi Gevinson by stylepukka (Gevinson is a fashion icon, feminist, and young blogger)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Suzanne Collins by babyelf4 (The Hunger Games author is sure to change society)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: David Eddings by hathia (Eddings is this teen’s favorite author)

Royalty

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Kate Middleton by mielejas123 (The new Duchess of Cambridge is beautiful and confident)

Scientists

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Dr. Zack Howard by haleyhochstein (Her mentor makes incredible contributions to science)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Angela Zhang: Girl Scientist by sherry3576 (Zhang has set out to find a cure for cancer)
    3. Person to Watch in 2012: Sonar Luthra by joey0201 (Luthra invented the Water Canary)
    4. Person to Watch in 2012: Angela Zhang and Her Cure for Cancer by jennyramen (Zhang developed a potential cure for cancer cells)

Teachers

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Mary Lynn Thurman by pink896heart (Thurman was nominated for teacher of the year)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Mr. Yoshida by lihongman (Mr. Yoshida is this teen’s favorite teacher)

Inventors

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Steve Jobs by Claudia (Jobs invented many technological advances we use today)

Religious Figures

1.  Person to Watch in 2012: God by kang1880 (The world may or may not end this year)

Filmmakers

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Hayao Miyazaki by emiXcandii (Miyazaki creates powerful and interesting movies)
    2. Person to Watch in 2012: Christopher Nolan by yangha0407 (Nolan directs the Batman series films, including The Dark Knight)

Artists

1. Person to Watch in 2012: Artist by flummerie (An artist’s creativity changes society)