Sex: Female
Age: 27
Hometown: New York, NY
Questions Asked: 0
Comments Made: 1

sarahcoughlante

About Me

Receptionists are a critical component of the US economy who provide administrative support to a wide variety of people in many different industries. Although nearly all businesses employ receptionists, the highest percentage of people in the profession work in healthcare. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, receptionists can expect job growth of around 14% over the next 10 years. Most of this growth can be attributed to increased demand for medical care resulting from a larger population, the number of retired Baby Boomers, and the recent expansion of healthcare coverage to uninsured Americans. Basic Tasks Included in the Medical Receptionist Job Description The medical industry is a complex segment of the economy that encompasses several different types of providers who specialize in various aspects of an individual’s health. Although it is possible to provide a general outline of common responsibilities that are included in the standard medical receptionist job description some people don't know how to make a medical resume, it is impossible to offer a detailed outline of each of the many variations that may be encountered in different offices and clinical settings. Individuals are well-advised to contact local employers in order to develop a more informed idea of the specific types of tasks that an aspiring receptionist will be expected to perform. In most cases, a receptionist will be hired to perform routine administrative tasks that are meant to help the office operate in an effective manner and continuously deliver high quality care to the public. A few of the most common responsibilities associated with the position include… • Answering phone calls and relaying phone messages • Welcoming patients and providing them with required paperwork • Scheduling and confirming appointments • Escorting patients to the appropriate exam room or department • Communicating with other office personnel and medical providers • Entering data into computer systems • Copying, filing, and maintaining both paper and electronic records • Processing incoming and outgoing mail • Handling billing and payment concerns Additional activities may be incorporated into the medical receptionist job description based on the nature of the medical conditions being managed, the unique needs of the medical providers, the size of the office, and the amount of office support that has been employed. In some cases, the receptionist may be expected to transcribe written information, create invoices, maintain financial records, prepare and distribute office memos, and coordinate meetings. Essential Knowledge and Skills Hospitals and independent medical facilities are fast-paced environments that require specific skills in order to become successful. Employers commonly look for applicants who possess the attributes needed to become a productive and valued member of the staff. Although it isn’t always necessary for a receptionist to complete a college degree, administrators typically prefer to hire those who have a strong grasp of the English language, possess basic computer skills, and who are familiar with standard clerical procedures. The importance of these elements is demonstrated by the fact that they are often outlined in the medical receptionist job description. Several local community colleges and career programs offer courses that are designed to provide high school graduates with the basic knowledge and skills they will need for entry-level vocational careers such as that of a receptionist. In addition to understanding how a medical office is run, those who plan to work in this profession should be capable of working well with their coworkers and possess a well-developed appreciation for what it means to provide high quality patient care. A successful receptionist is courteous, professional, and genuinely interested in the well-being of others. This means communicating with office personnel and patients in a respectful manner regardless of how stressful a situation might be. The ability to speak clearly, listen actively, and think critically are highly sought after attributes in the medical community and can open the door to several employment opportunities for those who would like to position themselves to take advantage of the growth that is occurring in this profession. Individuals who are interested in the medical industry, but who lack a college degree and who are yet uncertain about the career path they wish to take are encouraged to consider working as a receptionist. The medical receptionist job description is fairly straightforward and can provide an excellent avenue for gaining exposure to a diverse range of employment options. Those who feel that they would like to pursue a related profession can make the transition once they have acquired a few years of experience and have had the opportunity to demonstrate their suitability for patient care.

My Stages

What's New?

Information and Coupons for LifeAbout Us:  Nearly a million people visit Stage of Life each year for two main reasons: 
  • To get information on a particular life stage, e.g. statistics or etiquette  
  • To receive money saving coupons and discounts tailored to a particular life stage
We welcome you to the premiere destination for information, resources, and coupons tailored to where you are in life. 

Search:  With 30,000+ pages and life stories uploaded from people across the world, you may need to search StageofLife.com from time to time:

Stage of LIfe Resources
About StageofLife.com
About Us
Coupons
Coupons
Statistics on various life stages on StageofLife.com
Statistics
Financial Literacy on StageofLife.com
Finances
Quotes about various stages of life
Quotes
Blogging Resources
Blogging
Videos for each stage of life
Videos
Etiquette advice for life
Etiquette
TV, Music, Books, and Movies
Entertain
Stage of Life News
Press
 Cruise discounts and more
Travel
 Health & Wellness on StageofLife.com
Wellness
Goal Setting Resources
Set Goals
 What's your Generation? Teens to Baby Boomers
Ages
Top Ten Lists
Top Ten
Contact Us
Contact
Enter our Writing Contests
Writing

Contests
Writing contest winners
Past
Winners
Free Educational Resources on StageofLife.com
Education

Teen
Trends
Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise
Vocab

Teachers
Participating Authors
Authors
Stage of Life's Blogger Account
Our Blog
Stage of Life on Facebook
Like
Stage of Life on Twitter
Follow
 Stage of Life on Pinterest
Pin
 Stage of Life on YouTube
Watch
 Email Stage of Life
Email
Stage of Life on Instragram
Photos

Stage of Life on Google+
Google+

Saving Money

Applebee's gift card discountStage of Life features over 100 special coupons and discounts, tailored by life stage, for our users.  These deals come from national brands who partner with our financial literacy mission to help people save money throughout their lives.  From Applebee's to Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, explore the special offers we've lined up to help with your life.

Some of our coupons and promo codes include...

8% off Applebee's gift cards
 Discounts on IHOP gift cards 8% off IHOP gift cards
gift card discounts  15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek
Papa John's online coupon code

25% off online orders with Papa John's

and many more!

Mobile Coupons

StageofLife.com mobile websiteAs part of its mission to help people save money throughout their lives, Stage of Life launched one of the first mobile coupon sites.  You can view key Stage of Life discount and content using your smart phone. 

Just visit www.StageofLife.com from the browser in your mobile phone.