Sex: Male
Age: 44
Hometown: ,
Questions Asked: 0
Comments Made: 0

jollop

About Me

A Prelude to a Date

Happy Summer! It’s been a little while since I’ve blogged. I hope that you’re enjoying your summer—I definitely am. But I’ve also been hard at work thinking about ways to effectively and broadly spread my message of Loveawake blog! I’m superexcited about what’s next and looking forward to hearing from you.

Kiss, Park, Couple, Love, Romance, Romantic, People

As you see, I have a new website, thanks to my web Guru/Angel Yesha Callahan aka Fly Black Chick of Fly Chick Media. I’d love to hear your thoughts about the site, dating, love, sex, goals and dreams!

In addition to a Miami vacay with my favorite girls, this summer I have been blessed to participate in programs to expand my writing skills, while expanding my community of writers and friends, such as through the Women Write Now 2 program, created and hosted by the amazing Marita Golden. Additionally, and I must admit this has been the highlight of my writing career so far, I was chosen as a fellow in the Hurston/Wright Foundation’s fiction writing workshop held at Howard University. There, on the historic campus, under the tutelage of co-founders Marita and Clyde, and talented authors Dolen Perkins-Valdez and Wil Haygood, and in the emotional cradle of my sister-writers (and one brother), I stretched my writing muscles—and it hurt—but I have emerged an author.

So, with that, let’s get to the business of being about BlackLoveRules!… This past Saturday, after the day-long Women Write Now 2 seminar, I felt simultaneously equipped for conquering my writing and business goals and EXHAUSTED. I was in Prince George’s County, MD, it was about 6pm and I was starving. I really didn’t want to go to a fast food restaurant. I wanted to have a leisurely meal and contemplate the day’s events, while decompressing and having a glass or two of Riesling. I considered my options and realized that I wasn’t far from Half Note, a dinner/supper club in Bowie, MD near my old home. The food is good, they have live music and it’s dark and moody. “But,” I thought, “I’m alone. There are going to be couples and groups of people there.” Half Note is a gathering space, a meeting place. And after a certain hour, a straight up club.

The interesting thing about that thought, is that I launched BlackLoveRules! with my first blog about spending Christmas alone and loving myself enough to prepare a beautiful meal, just for me, served on my “good dishes.” Additionally, I had just announced my Next Big Idea to the WWN2 participants…so, feeling that I’d be hypocritical to use my being alone as an excuse not to go, off to Half Note I went.

And, as I sat at the table set for two, among the couples of varying ages who were obviously on a first or fairly close to it date, the group of middle aged sisters celebrating a birthday in the group, with bunches of balloons and lots of joy and laughter, the gentleman who went from table to table promoting his comedian client who performs there on Fridays, and the frat brothers bellied up to the bar reminiscing about the good ol’ days, and checking out the stiletto-heeled women as they passed by, I smiled.

I was comfortable and at peace. I admit that I called my mom, just to give her a download on the days’ events, but that call lasted no more than 10 minutes and I spent the rest of the time thinking (and doing a little texting). But mainly, I ate a lovely and pretty healthy meal, had two wonderful glasses of wine and breathed.

So, why a Prelude to a Date? Because, beginning September 3, 2011, I am embarking on a journey of self-discovery and awareness. For the next year, I will be taking my best date—ME—on 50 Self-Dates! That’s right, like Adam Sandler’s character in 50 First Dates—I will create new and interesting ways to spend time with the object of my affections—myself—that do not involve a remote control or fuzzy slippers. I will report back to you after (and possibly during) each Self-Date to debrief and let you know all about it—just like I would with my girlfriends were I seeing a super special dude.

My evening in Half Note gave me a glimpse of how nice it can be to be out, on my own, not expecting anyone or anything, and just soaking in the experience. I will lay out my “Rules” for my Self-Dates in the first 50 Self-Date post, but I will tell you this much…I will not be monogamous—I do plan to see other people! But I also plan to put as much care into and will hopefully look forward to each Self-Date
just as I do each online date I have with a man who I’ve just met or whose company I enjoy. I look forward to sharing these experiences with you and, if you pay close attention, you’ll be rewarded throughout this journey, as I plan to have 50 Self-Date trivia-based giveaways from time to time.

As you know, even though BlackLoveRules!, so too does SelfLove. Enjoy the remainder of summer and I’ll speak with you Labor Day weekend!

My Stages

What's New?

Information and Coupons for LifeAbout Us:  Nearly a million people visit Stage of Life each year for two main reasons: 
  • To get information on a particular life stage, e.g. statistics or etiquette  
  • To receive money saving coupons and discounts tailored to a particular life stage
We welcome you to the premiere destination for information, resources, and coupons tailored to where you are in life. 

Search:  With 30,000+ pages and life stories uploaded from people across the world, you may need to search StageofLife.com from time to time:

Stage of LIfe Resources
About StageofLife.com
About Us
Coupons
Coupons
Statistics on various life stages on StageofLife.com
Statistics
Financial Literacy on StageofLife.com
Finances
Quotes about various stages of life
Quotes
Blogging Resources
Blogging
Videos for each stage of life
Videos
Etiquette advice for life
Etiquette
TV, Music, Books, and Movies
Entertain
Stage of Life News
Press
 Cruise discounts and more
Travel
 Health & Wellness on StageofLife.com
Wellness
Goal Setting Resources
Set Goals
 What's your Generation? Teens to Baby Boomers
Ages
Top Ten Lists
Top Ten
Contact Us
Contact
Enter our Writing Contests
Writing

Contests
Writing contest winners
Past
Winners
Free Educational Resources on StageofLife.com
Education

Teen
Trends
Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise
Vocab

Teachers
Participating Authors
Authors
Stage of Life's Blogger Account
Our Blog
Stage of Life on Facebook
Like
Stage of Life on Twitter
Follow
 Stage of Life on Pinterest
Pin
 Stage of Life on YouTube
Watch
 Email Stage of Life
Email
Stage of Life on Instragram
Photos

Stage of Life on Google+
Google+

Saving Money

Applebee's gift card discountStage of Life features over 100 special coupons and discounts, tailored by life stage, for our users.  These deals come from national brands who partner with our financial literacy mission to help people save money throughout their lives.  From Applebee's to Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, explore the special offers we've lined up to help with your life.

Some of our coupons and promo codes include...

8% off Applebee's gift cards
 Discounts on IHOP gift cards 8% off IHOP gift cards
gift card discounts  15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek
Papa John's online coupon code

25% off online orders with Papa John's

and many more!

Mobile Coupons

StageofLife.com mobile websiteAs part of its mission to help people save money throughout their lives, Stage of Life launched one of the first mobile coupon sites.  You can view key Stage of Life discount and content using your smart phone. 

Just visit www.StageofLife.com from the browser in your mobile phone.