Health & Wellness - Feature Article

Health & Wellness Feature Article - StageofLife.com - Healthy Eating Habits5 Tips for Starting Healthy Food Eating Habits - "Don’t Let Your Food Define You"

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

It becomes very difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you career, education or family demands so much of your time. This is why it is important to do everything in your power not to eat the things that are convenient for you. Just because McDonalds is across the street doesn’t mean you need to settle for it. If you want to eat healthier and stay on track, take a look at the tips for starting healthy food eating habits listed below.

Hundreds of employed people believe they only have one option: breakfast, work, and walk across the street to McDonalds for lunch. People become stuck in these routines and only regret them when they see themselves in the mirror later on that day. It is time to take over our daily meal choices:

1.  Lower the number

You don’t have to quit cold turkey, but you can begin by lowering the calories you take in everyday. If you know fast food contains thousands of unwanted calories, learn from it and pick something fresher – such as an apple or banana chips. There are many options to work with; it is just a matter of finding what you like and eating the right amount.

2.  Keep track of the money you spend

How much money do you think you spend, daily, on the food you buy? This is important when it comes to saving your money and maintaining healthy eating habits. It becomes frustrating, going broke and still being hungry after eating fast food. You will feel much better bringing lunch with you, whether it is a sandwich with lunchmeat or salad. This will make your bank account smile like never before.

3.  Prepare yourself for cravings

Your body may begin to crave fast food the day you give it up. You need to stay strong and hold your ground. Don’t give in! Keep yourself prepared with snacks you brought from home. If your sweet tooth is craving Snickers as a snack, trick yourself into having a sweet fruit instead. Cut up some oranges and bring them with you. When you begin to want candy, have some cold oranges slices. I guarantee you, your body will thank you.

4.  Pick up a new routine

Whether it is bringing water, fruit, or a healthy snack – maintain the healthy routine while ridding yourself from the bad one. This will help you focus on something else and keep busy. The more time you have to think about these cravings and junk food items, you begin to second-guess yourself. Stay focused and stick to your diet. Give it a few weeks and you’ll begin to see it pay off.

5.  Be your own best guidance

Sometimes we don’t realize how good we’re doing until we give up. Try to keep a journal or even some post-it notes by your side to keep track of how well you’re doing. This will help you reference your healthy diet and stay confident as well. It doesn’t need to be a novel, but a quick, “I wanted a cheeseburger so badly today, but had a few, low-calorie, granola bites instead. I’m proud I didn’t break the cycle.”

Maintain your routine and your confidence. When you begin to slip or the devil on your shoulder tells you otherwise, push it to the side! This will pay off as long as you keep working hard. Nothing has ever come easy, but breaking a difficult routine will be worth the struggle.

If you have other tips for starting healthy food eating habits that we should add to this list, or any questions or comments, please Contact Us

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life - Health & Wellness Menu

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts