Health & Wellness - Feature Article

10 tips for college students to stay healty and happy - StageofLife.com10 Tips to Staying Healthy and Happy in College

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

For some students in college, it’s difficult to take on a new lifestyle and stay happy and healthy at the same time. Here are 10 ways to help you stay focused – mentally, physically, and emotional, while you’re in college.

1. Drink water!

I can’t say it enough, the more water you drink, the better your body can fight off any viruses. Plus, feeling hydrated will give you extra energy to focus in class.

2. Visit a local animal shelter.

When you’re away from home – especially from your pets, it’s harder for you to maintain happiness. Many people don’t realize the therapy they get from their pets, but it helps them release the hardship and stress they may feel – making it easier for the body to stay happy and healthy.

3. Don’t drink so much alcohol.

Although it may help a sore throat, alcohol lowers your immune system and causes the body to get sick a lot faster. Not to mention, a hangover in class is one of the worst feelings for a college student to endure.

4. Take multi-vitamins everyday.

Since college students are always on the go, it’s difficult for them to prep weekly meals in advance. If so, taking multi-vitamins will give you the extra push you need to get through the day.

5. Get enough sleep.

Since more than 90% of college students are pulling all nighters in the library or in the bar, they rarely get eight hours of sleep before class or exams. When you don’t get enough sleep, your body loses energy and isn’t able to protect you from becoming sick.

6. Study in advance.

Although it may be the second day of a new chapter, it helps to glance over the notes after you’ve learned them. In doing this, it is making it much easier for your brain to remember the material rather then memorizing 20 pages the day before a test. This releases any tension you may have, knowing you’re ready and relaxed the day before your exam.

7. Walk if you live close enough.

Many students take advantage of driving to class everyday when they live less than a mile up the road. Take the time to walk to class. This will let you exercise on your way there and vent out any possible frustrations you have after class.

8. Work out.

Even if its only for an hour every other day, working out will help to release any stress you have built up and give your body the chance to strengthen itself against any viruses going around campus.

9. Find a guilty pleasure.

Whether it is a favorite TV show, a snack, or a nap sometime throughout the day, find one thing that will helps distract you from reality for a few hours. This will get your mind away from your classes and workload – allowing you to relax and/ or laugh for the time being.

10. Personalize your own space.

Since living in college means living with a roommate (most likely), it’s important to personalize your own space and express yourself through your decorations, bedding, and posters..

If you have tips for college students to stay happy and healthy? Please Share Your Story on StageofLife.com now

Share your Story on StageofLife.com

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life - Health & Wellness Menu

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts