Health & Wellness - Feature Article

Health & Wellness Feature Article - StageofLife.com - Meal Planning TipsFood Prep vs. Fast Food - Meal Planning Tips

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

Many people have a difficult time when it comes to eating healthy and sticking to a lean diet. When you have a job, college classes or kids to take care of, it becomes harder to set aside healthy meals.

But before you start pulling your hair out over this meal plan, take one day a week to sit down and prep your meals for the next five or so days. This will give you the chance to go through all of your ingredients, containers, drinks, and spices to make sure you have everything. When the time comes to eat healthy, the meals are already prepped and will be much quicker to make.

Time to prioritize

Buy containers in different sizes to help keep your meals organized. This will make it easier for you to divvy up your salads from your protein meals, for example. These containers make meal prep easier by limiting each meal size for you.

Bag your individual salads to grab when you’re on the go. Keep your dressing in a separate bag or container to help your greens stay fresh and not get soggy from sitting together over night. Whether you want to use spinach, kale, lettuce, etc. in smoothies or salads, each serving size will be accurate, given the size of the container.

Here are two fun recipes for smoothies that you can use with your family, as a post-workout fuel-up, or for jump starting your morning:

Meal prep tricks

Put coconut water and chia seeds into an ice cube tray to freeze overnight. When it comes time to make your smoothie, use these ice cubes rather than regular water. Chia seeds are meant to keep you hydrated along with the high potassium and low sodium you receive from coconut water.

Cut up your herbs (cilantro, basil, mint, parsley, etc.) and put them in an ice cube tray with olive oil or coconut oil – your choice. When it comes time to cook your meal, put the frozen herb cube in the pan to sauté your food. This will help keep your herbs fresh and ready when you need them.

Fitness Specialists

Along with the information above, I added a list of inspirational fitness experts who can help you plan your meals and stay on track! Their Instagram (an app for iPhones) names are included, but you can find them on Webstagram (the website version of IG) as well.

• Brigitte Danielle (Username: Miss_bdb) - Training for her first NCP competition at Rise Above Fitness in HB
  • Betty Rocker (Username: Thebettyrocker) - Living the fitness lifestyle in Austin, Texas
  • K Mae Cags (Username: Kmaecags) - Trainer at Rise Above Fitness.

If you have other tips for healthy meal planning that we should add to this article, or any questions or comments, please Contact Us

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life - Health & Wellness Menu

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts