Health & Wellness - Feature Article

10 tips for college students to stay healty and happy - StageofLife.comMaintaining Your Healthy New Year’s Resolution

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

1. Remind yourself.

Keep a notebook and write in it everyday. Re-read old entries about things you’ve wanted to change about yourself and things that have improved over time. By reminding yourself of these things you will remember why you made this resolution in the first place and that the efforts are paying off.

2. Create a workout that works for you.

Sometimes putting your own spin on a workout makes it more enjoyable. This will help you look forward to working out and eating right. Also, find weights you feel comfortable using and exercises that make you feel great after doing them.

3. Take photos.

When some people look back and have proof of their progress, it makes them want to work that much harder. Take pictures to show yourself when things begin to get tough. You may shock yourself at how far you’ve come.

4. Give up soda.

Some thing as small as giving up soda can make all the difference. Every time you crave soda, drink water instead. After a month you’ll begin to see improvements in your mood and energy levels.

5. Find inspiration.

Print out pictures that inspire you and pin them to an inspiration board. This board doesn’t need to be gigantic, but big enough to see whenever you walk by it. When you see them, they’ll spark motivation for you to continue on with your resolution.

6. Lean on a friend.

Working out with a friend can help you and another person stay focused and in shape with whatever goals you had in mind. Whether it is lifting weights, running, or eating healthy, depend on one another to stay on task everyday. Use one another’s support and keep each other working hard together.

7. Create a playlist.

Music is a serious motivator within itself. Depending on what kind of music you like to listen to, create a playlist to help pump you up while you’re working out. Even if your resolution wasn’t physical, use this playlist to help keep you happy and upbeat throughout the day. Sometimes people need a boost of good melody to keep them going.

8. Treat yourself.

If you’ve been working your heart out and begin to slowly let up, treat yourself as a reminder that you will continue with this year’s resolution! Whether it is a pair of new running shoes, a new blender to make smoothies, or even a new shirt, indulge yourself in something new to help keep you eager to use it.

9. Compliment yourself.

At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own. Keep the compliments coming! Be good to your body along with your mind by treating it right. When you see improvement, embrace it!

If you have tips for college students to stay happy and healthy? Please Share Your Story on StageofLife.com now

Share your Story on StageofLife.com

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life...

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts