Health & Wellness - Feature Article

Money saving tips for your food budget - StageofLife.comClean Out Your Fridge Instead of Your Wallet — Money Saving Tips for Managing Your Food.

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

Many people don’t realize the beauty of using the refrigerator to help freeze not only your food, but also the spending from your wallet. Going food shopping doesn’t have to become a weekly chore, tugging on your wallet strings when you have mastered the art of deterring food from going bad.

BOGO

The beauty of “buy one, get one free” is that you can save that second loaf of bread and not shove the first one down your throat before the second one begins to mold. There’s a better way to preserve the extra loaf, along with English muffins, bagels and other grain products. The answer is simple, put it in the freezer! This will allow you to leisurely enjoy your bread and not worry about the money you may have wasted because the second loaf didn’t make it.

Make your own

It isn’t just bread that will help you save money and enjoy coupon deals at the food store. Do your kids love to eat ice-pops? Well, why not let them make their own ice-pops with the orange juice they never drink for breakfast? It’s simple, allow them to pour the orange juice into an ice-cube tray and when it hardens, it’ll taste just like an ice-pop and not full of sugar like leading dessert brands. Along with ice-pops and grain, here is a list of ideas to help you save money:

Green Bags by Debbie Meyer

Preserve you’re salads, fruits, and vegetables longer by using reusable Green Bags made by Debbie Meyer. Since one package contains 10 bags, you don’t need to worry about running out of bags since you don’t need to throw them out after each use. Lettuce will stay fresh along with strawberries and bananas much longer than they usually would in a regular fruit bowl, sitting atop your counter.

Don’t fall for the leading brand name trap

Due to commercials and advertisements, people wind up spending more money on products they recognize rather than turning to a less expensive brand that offers the same product with a difference logo. By straying away from big names, you will be able to save money and possibly buy something else with the money you didn’t use on “the quicker picker upper.”

Don’t be lazy, look for the good deal

A lot of people hate food shopping so much, they grab the first thing they see and throw it in their basket to find out that they could have gotten a two-for-one deal on the same product if they looked harder. By being lazy and not comparing prices, you’re missing out on less expensive items. Yogurt for instance, there’s dozens of different yogurt brands and people don’t notice that the cheaper yogurt is kept out of eyesight on purpose. Of course, they are going to make you look harder for the less expensive item; they want to make money off your mistake.

Brita filters are a beautiful thing

Rather than spend hundreds of dollars on water bottles, why not spend the set price of a Brita container and save money in the long run. By doing the math on individual filters and water bottles, you’ll be saving thousands of dollars a year – not to mention, it’s helping the environment as well.

Step out of your comfort zone

Surprisingly enough, hundreds of people get stuck in a routine of what they know and never shy away from it. People who buy a specific name brand may stick to it because they aren’t sure how to make the other one. But, did you know rather than buying Campbell’s $2 soup cans, you can buy Lipton noodles in a box? Since Lipton contains two packages inside the box and you only need to add water and let it boil, you’re saving money, getting an extra packet of noodle soup, and not letting it sit in a tin can for months on end before you decide to eat it. Trust me, stepping outside your comfort zone will help you..

If you have other tips for managing your food and food budget that we should add to this list, or any questions or comments, please Contact Us

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life - Health & Wellness Menu

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts