Health & Wellness - Feature Article

Tips for Avoiding the Flu - StageofLife.comTen Ways to Keep your Body Happy

by Kristen Cornelis, StageofLife.com Health & Wellness Feature Blogger

The life we live now is a breeding ground for stress—whether you believe it or not. The only difference is that we have welcomed it into our everyday lives without realizing it.

One of our Health and Wellness partners, Brian Sanderoff of WellBeingGPS.com has written an article approaching this issue. In the article “Adapting to Stress,” the idea of medicine is put into a new perspective for the reader. If we can find a way to avoid feeling stressed, we can avoid relying on these medications and deter the effects that come from built-up stress:

1. Find a healthy diet.

This doesn’t mean you need to sit in the backyard and chew on the grass. But making sure you have enough fruits and vegetables in your diet will increase your health and overall mood. Keep in mind, seeing your physician will make it easier for you to adopt a health plan best suited to your body’s needs.

2. Get your heart rate pumping.

Whether it is walking up the stairs or taking the dog for a walk, make sure you are giving your body the chance to exercise daily. Don’t feel alone on this one, there are plenty of trainers who are ready to create a work out plan that is able to fit your lifestyle.

3. Throw out the tobacco.

Smoking cigarettes, pipes, cigars—anything with tobacco in it—is not helping your case right now. These things put a strain on your body that doesn’t help rid stress. In fact, it heightens your stress level and has the ability to turn it into cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. if not treated right. Not to mention, what you are smoking is the same material they use to make driveways and black tops. So, you’re better off licking the ground—but first, let’s try chewing a piece of gum instead.

4. Stop relying on caffeine. 

When you think of caffeine, you think of coffee, right? Well, that is just one aspect involved in the caffeine club. Other caffeinated foods and beverages include tea, chocolate, soda, painkillers, and energy drinks. Caffeine has the ability to get your heart rate going, telling your brain to keep pushing. Unfortunately, this is causing your body to stress when it is overloaded with caffeine—especially when it is time to sleep.

5. Get enough sleep.

Ever since the invention of the light bulb, we have had the ability to stay awake longer. We have strayed away from nature’s rule: when the sun rises, we wake up, when the sun sets, we go to sleep. Did you know a lack of sleep could have a serious stress related effect on your body? Not to mention, those bags under your eyes will only get bigger.

6. Do something you love.

Many of us have a hobby we love to turn to when we feel stressed. Maybe you’re good at it, maybe you’re not, but it makes you happy—so keep doing it! This is the best remedy to avoid feeling overwhelmed with stress.

7. Notice what makes you happy.

For some people, noticing their favorite hobby is the hardest thing to do, especially if they don’t feel confident in that category. Fortunately, there is way to pick up on something you like—notice what makes you smile! It is that simple. Maybe you’re brilliant at it and maybe you’re not, but if it makes you happy, keep doing it!

8. Become more organized.

When you feel organized, your body feels a sense of ease, knowing it has no reason to worry. When you know where everything is and know what needs to be done, it becomes easier for you to feel less overwhelmed. This doesn’t mean you need to label everything in your house with post-it notes. But, finding a way to keep everything together, set and ready will help your body feel comforted, knowing everything is taken care of.

9. Don't hold it all in.

There are ways to release stress, simply by expressing the issue at hand. Whether it is writing, singing, drawing, or simply talking—these are ways to help your body rid itself from unwanted stress. This doesn’t mean you need to shout it from the rooftops. Take your time and find a niche that best helps you.

10. Don't rely on drugs.

When a person experiences hardship, stress, and other negatively related events, they turn to drugs to numb the pain. But, there are better ways to fight stress than sweeping it under the rug, I promise you this!

Since WellBeingGPS is dedicated to the world of natural medicines, they offer a variety of herbs to help soothe our bodies from stress, known as “adaptogens.” Two stress-related herbs include, “Vital-Adapt” and “Power-Adapt” by the brand, Natura Health Products.

To read more about keeping your body happy, visit www.wellbeinggps.com.

If you have tips for keeping your body happy, please Share Your Story on StageofLife.com now...

Share your Story on StageofLife.com

Read more Health & Wellness Literacy articles from StageofLife.com

Contact StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness articlesWe are always looking for helpful feature articles from health & wellness experts and bloggers about topics that can help our writing members and our readers live happier, healthier lives.  StageofLife.com is an award-winning blogging and education community dedicated to helping make the world a better place, one story at a time.

If you have an article you'd like to contribute to the Stage of Life Health & Wellness section, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Information for Life - Health & Wellness Menu

Free Health & Wellness Resources

Below you'll find 10 Health & Wellness areas that everyone, no matter what stage of life you're in, should take some time to read and explore.  Our series of articles, tips, and information was designed with one mission...to help you live a healthier, happy life.

Body Resources1.  Body Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness body resources section?  Contact Us

Mind Resources - StageofLife.com2.  Mind Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness mind resources section?  Contact Us

Food Resources3.  Food Resources - Feature Articles

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness food resources section?  Contact Us

4.  Free Fitness ResourcesFree Fitness Resources

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other free health & wellness resources we should consider adding?  Contact Us

5.  Health & Wellness BloggersHealth & Wellness Bloggers

StageofLife.com recommends reading or following the below bloggers.  They have a lot of great information coming out each day about fitness, food, and other health & wellness topics...
  • Danielle: Eat Well, Live Well
    http://colombod2.wordpress.com/
    Her goal is to educate her readers on important nutrition related topics – eating well to living well.
  • Jamie
    http://inspirationlush.com/
    Jamie is an author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles. She shares stories, pictures, and videos about inspiration in our everyday lives.
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other health & wellness bloggers we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Topics of Conversation6.  Topics of Health & Wellness Conversation:

Contact StageofLife.comAre you interested in writing and contributing a feature article to our health & wellness "topics of conversation" section?  Contact Us

Must Visit Health & Wellness Websites7.  Websites to Help Keep You and Your Family Motivated, Happy, and Healthy:

• Children & Nature Network: An organization built around the concept of getting our children outdoors and connecting with nature.
  • Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, The Happiness Project—an account of the year she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.
  • Project Happiness: Project Happiness is dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with resources to create greater happiness within themselves and the world
  • Map My Run: A website and app that will track and map your running routes.
  • Shape Up America: Committed to raising awareness of obesity as a health issue and to providing responsible information on healthy weight management
  • LearntobeHealthy.org:  An incredibly rich health & wellness learning site for families, children, and schools.
  • K-mae Cags: Personal trainer for Rise Above Fitness
  • WellBeingGPS: Videos, information and resources on living a holistic, healthy life
  • Spirituality & Health: A website that focuses on the health of body, mind, and spirit
  • Outside Magazine Online: Active-lifestyle and adventure-travel magazine
  • The Betty Rocker: Bree Argetsinger, AKA The Betty Rocker has dedicated her life to fitness, looking and feeling fantastic everyday. Her goal is Living Awesome, finding Optimal Health, and always seeking your Edge.
  • Fit Men Cook: This website shares endless healthy recipes for people to read and share their own as well.
  • Baristi Workout: Baristi is a group of people dedicated to fitness all around the world that follow a "No Excuses" mentality to improve their health, fitness and appearance in their own unique way.
  • Rachel Brathen: This yoga website is meant to help peope build a balanced lifestyle. Rachel is one of the first people in the world to do yoga on a paddle board instead of a mat.
  • Wellness by Tess: This website takes on a different view according to the healthy lifestyle. Tess believes in the Paleo diet - the hunter-gatherer or the caveman diet that doesn't involve food colorings, processed foods or carcinogens.
  • StageofLife.com (of course!)
Contact StageofLife.comDo you have other health & wellness websites we should consider adding?  Contact Us

StageofLife.com - Health & Wellness on Instragram8.  Health & Wellness Photo Inspiration on Instagram:

• Mankofit – Massy - personal trainer living in New York City
  • Kmaecags – Krissy Mae Cags - personal trainer from Nevada and the creator of BAMFit
  • D_Stinto – Dennis - personal trainer and representative of the Baristi Workout Calisthenics Team
  • Progressive_Calisthenics – Kenneth Gallarzo - bodyweight training specialist at Rise Above Fitness
  • Brandanschieppati – Brandan Schieppati - personal trainer and owner of Rise Above Fitness
  • Chels_xfit_prx – Chelsea Lewis - owner and coach at Crossfit PRx
  • Fitfreak_chelsea - Chelsea - college “gym rat” studying to become a physical therapist
Contact StageofLife.comDo you know other photo-inspired health & wellness nuts on Instagram that we should list?  Contact Us

Health & Wellness Videos9.  Recommended Health & Wellness Educational Videos

Contact StageofLife.comDo you have health & wellness videos we should consider adding?  Contact Us

Gym membership discounts on StageofLife.com10.  Health & Wellness Discounts - Saving Money While Living Healthy

Stage of Life has set up an entire program of coupons and money saving discounts for its readers, bloggers and members.  Visit our free My Life Rewards program to explore special offers from our national merchant partners who support the Stage of Life member community with special health & wellness offers and discounts...

StageofLife.com - Health and Wellness discounts