Are You From the Silent Generation?

The Silent Generation is defined as...

...1939-1945

The Silent Generation had a great advantage: this generation had the lowest number of births of any generation (occurring in 1944 and 1945) due to World War II. This meant that the Silent Generation was better able to take advantage of the economic prosperity following the war. The Silent Generation was better educated than the previous generation, and integrated new scientific and technological advances into their everyday lives—advances like the television, ballpoint pens, and t-shirt, to name a few.

According to Wikipedia, "The label "Silent Generation" was first coined in the November 5, 1951 cover story of TIME Magazine to refer to the generation coming of age at the time, born during the Great Depression and World War II, including the bulk of those who fought during the Korean War. The article, (which defined the generation at the time as born from 1925 to 1945), found its characteristics as grave and fatalistic, conventional, possessing confused morals, expecting disappointment but desiring faith, and for women, desiring both a career and a family.

The Silent Generation was smaller than the WWI generation before them and the Baby Boom Generation afterwards due to the lower birthrate of the 1930s and '40s. As a result, members of the Silent Generation were uniquely poised to take advantage of economic opportunities, thanks to the reduced competition. Many of them went on to harness the scientific and technological advances of the Second World War, developing innovative inventions which laid the groundwork for even more technological progress in the late 20th century. The Silent Generation had a tendency to be better educated than the WWI generation because of not having their schooling interrupted by the Depression and the war."

*The below research outlines the cultural influences that were released during the birth time of the Silent Generation.  Obviously, the Silent Generation members are also influenced by other generations.  For more on other generations, go to our generations menu.

A Note From Our Resident Silent Generation Member

Our resident Silent Generation member is currently writing up their summary of Silent Generation. Stay tuned to see what they have to say...

Submit your Silent Generation essay

Books

• 1984 by George OrwellSilent generation books

• Animal Farm by George Orwell

• The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

• The Little Prince by Anotoine de Saint Exupery

• The Stranger by Albert Camus

• Brideshed Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

• Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lingren

• Death of a Salesmen by Arthur Miller

• The Plauge by Albert Camus

• For Whom the Bell Tolls Ernest Hemingway

Movies

• Silent Generation MoviesCitizen Kane-  1941-  Orson Wells

• Casablanca- 1942-  Michael Curtiz

• The Third Man- 1949- Carol Reed

• It’s a Wonderful Life- 1946- Frank Capra

• The Grapes of Wrath- 1940- John Ford

• The Maltese Falcon- 1941- John Huston

• The Philadelphia Story- 1940- George Cukor

• The Treasure of the Sierra Madre- 1948- John Huston

• The Bicycle Thie- 1948- Vitorro De Sica

• Notorious- 1946- Alfred Hitchcock

Music

• Silent Generation MusicWhite Christmas by Bing Crosby, 1942

• The Midnight Special by LeadBelly, 1940

• Bless the Child by Billie Holiday, 1941

• Take the “A” Train by Duke Ellington, 1941

• Koko by Charlie Parker, 1945

• Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by The Andrews Sisters ,1941

• Stormy Weather by Lena Horne, 1942

• You are My Sunshine by Jimmie Davis, 1940

• Flying Home by Lionel Hampton, 1942

• Route 66 by Nat King Cole, 1946

Cultural & Political Events

• Japanese attack pearl harbor 1941

• Manhattan Project begins 1941

• The jeep is invented 1941

• The t-shirt is introduced 1942

• Nylons go on sale 1940

• Ballpoint pens go on sale 1944

• D-Day 1944

• First Computer built ENIAC 1945

• Slinky hits the shelves 1945

• Atomic bomb dropped on Japan

Your Comments

Don't see your favorite movie, album, book, or TV show for the Silent Generation? Contact us and we'll include it.