Are You From the Greatest Generation?

The Greatest Generation is defined as...

...the “G.I. Generation” or “WWII Generation” (1925-1939)

The Greatest Generation suffered through one of America’s hardest times: the Great Depression. This generation knew the value of struggle, hard work, and perseverance. Many members of this generation are still reluctant to trust the banks. Younger members of the WWII Generation would have fought in WWII; older members would remember their parents working hard to make ends meet. The G.I. Generation definitely knows the value of a dollar, and the value of good old fashioned hard work.

According to Wikipedia, "The 'Greatest Generation' is a term coined by journalist Tom Brokaw to describe the generation who grew up in the United States during the deprivation of the Great Depression, and then went on to fight in World War II.

The generation is sometimes referred to as the G.I. Generation (a term coined by authors William Strauss and Neil Howe who are known for their generational theory). It follows the Lost Generation who fought in World War I and precedes the Silent Generation who did not come of age until near the end of the war.

The Greatest Generation is generally agreed to have begun in 1901, as those people would have turned 18 after World War I ended. However, people born from 1901-1909 came of age during the 1920s and identified more with the culture of that decade than the 1930s and 1940s. The core of the Greatest Generation consists of those born in 1914-1924, with 1925-1927 forming a bridge to the Silent Generation."

*The below research outlines the cultural influences that were released during the birth time of Generation Z.  Obviously, Generation Z members are also influenced by other generations.  For more on other generations, go to our generations menu.

A Note From Our Resident Greates Generation Member

Our resident Greatest Generation member is currently writing up their summary of Greatest Generation. Stay tuned to see what they have to say...

Submit your greatest generation essay

Books

• The Hobbit by  J.R.R. Tolkiengreatest generation books

• Gone with The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

• Grapes of Wrath John by Steinbeck

• Of Mice and Men  by John Steinbeck

• And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

• Marry Poppins by P.L. Travers

• The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White

• Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Movies

• Greatest Generation MoviesGone with the Wind- 1939- Victor Fleming

• The Wizard of Oz- 1939- Victor Fleming

• The Rules of the Game- 1939- Jean Renoir

• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington- 1939- Frank Capra

• City Lights- 1931- Charles Chaplin

• Modern Times- 1936- Charles Chaplin

• All Quiet on The Western Front- 1930- Lewis Milestone

• King King- 1933- Merian Cooper

• Grand Illusion- 1937- Jean Renoir

Music

• Greatest Generation MusicIn The Mood by Glen Miller

• God Bless America by Kate Smith

• Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland

• Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman

• Silent Night, Holy Night by Bing Crosby

• Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway

• Strange Fruit by Billy Holiday

• Crossroads Blues by Robert Johnson

• Moonlight Serenade by Glen Miller

• If I didn’t Care by Ink Spots

Cultural & Political Milestones

• 1930- Pluto Discovered 1930

• 1931- Empire State building Completed

• 1932- Scientists Split the Atom

• 1933- Assasination attempt on FDR

• 1933- Prohibition ends in the US

• 1934- Cheeseburger Created

• 1934- Parker brothers sells the game Monopoly

• 1935- Social Security Enacted in the US

• 1936- Hoover Dam Completed

• 1937- Amelia Erhart vanishes

• 1937- Golden Gate Bridge Opened

Your Comments

Don't see your favorite movie, album, book, or TV show for the Greatest Generation? Contact us and we'll include it.