Questions and Stories about Living On Your Own

Singles blog on StageofLife.comRead Stories About Being Single

Listed below is the compilation of the questions and stories that singles have shared on StageofLife.com.  Some of these essays were submitted as a response to our national writing contest for singles. Topics of these blog posts by singles range from dating, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between.

Share Your Story on StageofLife.comDo you have a dating story or experience about living on your own to share? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Living On Your Own Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Ethical Dilemmas

When I was in sixth grade, I liked a boy named Sam, and I believe these romantic feelings were reciprocated.

At our first middle school dance, Sam came up to me and asked me to dance.

Although my head and heart wanted to say yes, I said no.

I went home that night pretty upset—upset at myself for saying no, upset at my shyness, my fear having nothing to say, scared of what yes would imply, what the future would hold. I was uncertain, and because of that I did no

Although I am appreciative towards those who had granted me a second chance during a time where I had unintentionally made a mistake and I have done the same towards several others by forgiving them, in certain situations, however, such as one intentionally hurting me or others, one not admitting to their mistakes and if the individual continues to make the same mistakes then I tend to not give them a second chance.
Firstly, when some conduct action or behaviors to purposefully cause harm

Do you believe in life after death?

Be the change... This three word phrase is such a big and heavy word to process uttered by my boss. I am currently working in a government school here in the Philippines. I am a newbie here. I am not familiar with the system yet.
As days, weeks and months pass by, I am starting to see the real picture of the field I've chosen to serve. There are so many loopholes, flaws and imperfections that really demotivates me to become a better teacher.
There were teachers who are senior alread

For society is always paving the way for science, finance etc. with the motive of 'betterment,' fooling all discerning into investing everything into them. These discerning aristocrats then further reward the multitude who are not as gulible to invest in the name of supposed betterment; with money. This is a further motive for even the thin remainder of thinkers and rationalists to invest their heart and soul into science, finance etc. A wise man once said, 'If everything in the world dies th

This Christmas our gift to our adult kids and their families was an overnight stay to an indoor water park. We have three sons and a nephew who Lost both of his parents. One son is married - it's his second marriage now of 5 plus years. Another son lives with a women who befriended the other son's ex wife after his divorce and after developing and moving in with my other son (I hope this makes since - as it's difficult to follow). This, of course, created hurt feelings on several levels. We d

It is nice to believe that changing is easy and that everyone has the ability to do it. But that would be over optimistic. Not impossible, mind you, just optimistic. People are, first and foremost, stubborn. They don’t want to change because they’re afraid or someone is pushing it or they don’t want to be considered a lesser person. On the other hand, some people change far too easily. Child stars, for example, tend to believe that they need to shatter their old “wholesome” image by becomin

I will start this essay in just a moment. Let me take my library lanyard off first. Wait, I am wearing a t-shirt from my internship last summer so I better change. My bag is from Kroger, but I got it for free- I’m not showing support of Kroger. And my socks, they are Nike brand but I promise, I never worked there in my life. They do have the logo on them, so I better ditch them just in case. These are not endorsements. I repeat: these are not endorsements.

Did I mention that these v

Living thousands of kilometres away from your only loved one in a big bad city can be tricky. Skype can help you see your Mom's face on your phone no matter how distorted. Hangouts can give a better quality on phone but sometimes just few diagonal lines. But for these fifty year olds getting a hang of the app world, you see how their world crashes down when they can't have whatsapp!

A year younger than my Mom, my land lady's caretaker, Aladin's Ginee, has been asking me, 'Tanu! who's

Alright. So, here begins the story. A single mother with an only daughter to live at the other extreme end of the country, the east to west gap, the network issues and a constant need to be with each other and yet deal with the hypocrisy of the 21st century, life has its own beautiful twists and turns.

If your mom is thirty years older than you, brought up in an orthodox set up, you don't even need to blink before you conclude she won't understand.
You know how she really believ