STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Dreams

michness
Dreams seemed so much bigger when I was a kid. When I was growing up, I wanted to be an ice skater, a singer, and then, perhaps more realistically, a vet. But I remember my dad telling me that people-doctors made more money so I should probably do that instead.

In elementary and middle school, I realized that most all of my talents were in writing. Most people have a variety of hobbies and interests and talents that they pursue, but writing is truly the only thing that I have stuck with since I could remember. I’ve tried other hobbies, but I lose patience easily (especially when I’m not perfect at something right away—character defect?).

It’s weird how dreams shift with age. In my eighth grade yearbook, I’m quoted as saying that my dream is to become a comedienne. I really have no idea why.

High school brought the need for intangible dreams to be realized along with serious bouts of depression. I know depression is something most teens encounter (maybe just for the label more so than the actual debilitating disorder) but my depression felt like so much more than normal teen angst and I never knew how to communicate with my friends. I called it “pulling an [name omitted]” for the sake of being an asshole when really I needed to own up to what I was feeling. I remember one particular moment during sophomore year of high school when I completely broke down and took my insecurities out of my best friend—still my best friend to this day, bless her heart—and she told a mutual friend about it. Mutual friend told more people, and began a cruel campaign of ignoring me, like that outburst was me being a brat for attention. Another friend told me, “I’m so frustrated with you, Mich.” Like it was just something I was playing around with. I wish I would have stood up for myself more in high school.

I dreamed to be normal, to be liked, to be loved, to be desired the same way my friends were in high school. My friendships seemed sterile compared to the relationships my friends had with each other. I was never terribly interesting, so I kept to myself. My first boyfriend happened out of peer pressure and lasted three months. I thought it would help my self-esteem. When he wasn’t the “perfect” boyfriend I had dreamed of, I broke it off. While I was happy to be single, I wasn’t happy to be alone.

It’s weird how that distinction makes a huge difference in how I felt.

As high school went on I dreamed of starting over and finding myself. I have—and had—a bad habit of making myself into someone I think other people wanted to see. Sussex County was conservative Christian heaven and I didn’t have a backbone so I became just that and thought I was a real person. I was actually a huge asshole and temporarily ended two friendships because I thought I was right about everything and politics mattered. Yeah, right.

I flawlessly realized my dream of moving out of Sussex County after school. Then my dream became graduating college. Missing my boyfriend of a year almost became too much and I seriously considered dropping out and going to county to be closer to him. When that didn’t happen, I cheated on him without cheating on him. I’m not proud of a lot from that year.

I grew up a lot in college. My parents told me that would happen, and of course I didn’t believe them, but it really was true. I made a lot of great friends, solidified what I thought was going to be a temporary for fun relationship with Justin, and really found myself. I wish it had happened earlier, but maybe there was a reason for my late blooming.

After college, my dreams became more realistic and adult. I dreamed of finding a job after graduation. Done. I dreamed of having my own place. Soon to be done.

As far as the future’s concerned, my only dreams right now are to survive living on my own until Justin joins me in February, and maybe, one day, overcome this depression. It feels like it’s wearing a heavy coat on my lungs and all I want to do is sleep.

I know that I should advocate for myself more and try to get help, but every time I’ve approached my mother about it, she’s always told me I’m overreacting and I’m not really depressed.

I have a lot of regrets—especially from high school—but I try not to dwell on it.

I dream that one day I’ll be genuinely happy, without depression lurking in the shadows like a scary closet monster.

For now, I’m trying. I’m dreaming. I’m doing the best that I can.
Rate this:
Comment by nellyfloyd

I really enjoyed reading this article!
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:15:59 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

It's crazy how dreams alter so drastically throughout the years
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:23:37 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for singles that allows those living on their own the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for singles, statistics about being single, quotes about being single, and other resources about the single life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy