My Song: Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

watchinxfileswiththelightson
To anyone who might happen to be living under a rock (no judgement!) Taylor Swift just released the song 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', and she is now my new home girl. Seriously, if you ever need anything, Taylor, just call me.

It's like she read my diary, analyzed my dilemma, and then produced this song. The majority of us know that breaking up sucks, but not everyone knows the joys of breaking up with the same person, over and over (and over) again. Having just recently moved into my own apartment and out of an apartment that I shared with my now ex-boyfriend, this song couldn't have found me at a better time.

About a month ago I moved out of the apartment I had shared with my boyfriend for over a year. It was sad leaving behind a person that I once loved enough to move in with, but it was something that had to be done. Over the past year there had been more bad days than good, and way more tears than any person should rightfully shed. It feels great to fall in love, but falling out of love is a pain that there is no quick fix for. Time is the only way to heal this wound.

Being on my own was like lifting a giant boulder off my shoulders. I felt more relaxed than sad and could finally feel the pieces of myself being put back together. I spoke to my ex a few times over text, but for the most part it was great to be free.

After a few weeks went by my ex and I started to talk a little more as each day passed. I was starting to miss him, and it probably didn't help that all of my dates I had attempted to go on had crashed and burned. It was great not having any of the drama that comes with living with someone, and it was even better to be with someone that I was comfortable with.

So we decided to see if the problems that had driven us apart could be fixed. We saw each other here and there over a period of time, but somehow the same issues found us. There it was, right in my face, but why was it so hard to let go?

So, as I drove home from work one day, I was contemplating life and all of the bumps along the rocky path. I turned my radio up, only to find Taylor's melodic voice becoming a GPS for my life.

"Oooh, you called me up again tonight
But oooh, this time I'm telling you, I'm telling you
We are never ever ever getting back together
We are never ever ever getting back together"

Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:35:01 PM