I Am My Fathers Daughter

groovychef
I Am My Fathers Daughter

Like most child parent relationships, my Father and I stumbled through tough times together hoping to find the happy place at the end of the road.

The greatest lesson I learned from my Father, I learned after his passing three years ago.

We were both stubborn and bullheaded. He was a blues musician for most of his life and that made his outer skin tough. Three months before his passing, my Grandmother passed and he had the task of calling to inform me. Since I live in Illinois and he and my Grandmother lived in Florida this was not something he could do in person. The night I received the phone call, I was at work. He was upset, angry, bitter, and sad. I did not take the news well despite knowing that my Grandmother had been battling illness for quite some time. My Father spoke his mind on a couple of things and I took offense at it, blinded by my own sadness and not recognizing that he was suffering as well, I rebutted with some words of resentment towards him. We hung up the phone and I decided I was not going to speak to him for a while and allow him to cool down.

In March, his best friend showed up at my place of business. When I asked how my Father was, her reply was “Oh honey, I thought you knew…”

“Knew what?”

“Your Father passed away on Valentines Day. I thought you knew…”.

Over the last three years, I have come to terms with his death. I realized that he had taught me the final lesson he was ever going to teach me in life: That “I am sorry” are the most powerful words on the planet.

That's a powerful post. Thank you for sharing it. (I was attracted to it by your use of "Father" instead of "Dad.")
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:49:42 PM
Comment by Johnny Canuckle

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to see the pain of others when we ourselves are hurting but forgiveness works for yourself.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 1:14:44 AM