I Overcame Loneliness

AshEli
Over the years my parents always told me my true friends are my sisters. Of course I never believed it because I always had friends. Then my senior year came along and everything changed. The year that was supposed to be the prime of my high school experience turned out to be the year I never want to reminisce.
I wasn’t a complete loner that year, but it sure did feel like I was. Thanks to typical high school girls and their childish drama, I never felt so alone in a crowded place. Many people I believed were my friends tried to hurt me physically, damaged my car and scared me emotionally. After graduation, while everyone was taking pictures with their friends I was dying to get out of the stadium and go home. Instead of going to Texas Tech University, the reason I worked so hard in high school for, I decided to stay at the junior college at home.
The junior college gave me the opportunity to get my school work done and go straight home and basically hideout until my next class. I occasionally saw the friends that I had when I graduated, but I still continued to be like a turtle, hiding in its shell to avoid danger. I didn’t want a repeat of making friends and being sabotaged. I made myself a loner before anyone had the prospect to make me one.
I would see people having the time of their lives with their friends walking around campus, always having someone to sit by in class and after the day was over I would come home, lock my door and break down crying wondering if things were going to turn around for me, and if so, when. Luckily, they did.
About half way through my first semester I made a friend in the sophomore Literature class. His name was Nick and he, without knowing this, helped me see it’s okay to make friends and lose them; it’s a part of life. I lost a friend my senior year, he passed away two months after his eighteenth birthday and four months before graduation.
Realizing I didn’t have to be alone and making and losing friends was just how things are made me more outgoing. I now have a ton of people I can call friends. Of course, my parents were right about my sisters being my true friends. They were the ones that got me through that horrid year and without them I don’t think I would have made it. Life comes with peaks and valleys, but we make ourselves strong when we defeat them. I finished my first year of college, and I have overcome loneliness.