The Night Of August 10, 2010 (The Night I Was Raped) Did I Overcome It?

Purple.Moonlite
Well, I don't know where to start or how to begin. But then, I guess I will just start on the month of August 10, 2010 and I was still a minor. Four days before the first day of school, I was going to be a senior the BEST School YEAR of my life, but that all changed very quickly. I thought that Blanding was safe, small Mormon town, but I thought wrong.
Now this is where the story begins. There was a beautiful young girl, whose hair was dark brown, with light brown eyes, and hardly talked to anyone but her family and very close friends. One night, she decided to walk at night, she's been all over the place but she has never been to the baseball field (baseball field?) she never thought that another person was walking behind her but not as close. She never thought that she was beginning followed, but she kept walking until she got the dugout, she got scared and hid but that didn't stop the mysterious guy. Then suddenly, she heard footsteps on the rocks, she stiffed up, heart beating twice as much then he came slouching on the dugout wall looking at her, she could not move nor say anything. She got up and moved to the opening of the dugout, but he put his arms up and blocked her only exit, he moved his whole body and totally blocked the exit, he moved his arms and was caressing her hair, she quickly moved back and ran to the other end of the dugout but she was trapped now, after turning around, he came walking. The only thing she remembered when watching television, was to remember the rapist face and how tall he is. I’m going to end the story here, and you would know what happened there.
I was so scared that I could not run to my parent’s house, the first thing I ran to was to my very close friend’s house. There I knocked on the door and knocked, until finally she opened the door.
Me: (cries and panics) I'm scared can you help me? PLEASE.
Friend: what happened?
Me: (catches breath) I...I...was...
Friend: You were what? You’re scaring me, just tell me.
Me: I was raped.
Friend: OMG! We have to tell your parents right away.
Me: I'm scared to tell them, I wouldn't know what to say or to think of what to say.
Friend: well we have to tell your parents. If you can say it I'll just have...
Suddenly my friend’s mom shows up and asks us why we are being loud. After my friend told her of what happened, she hurried and called the cops and then the hospital, and then finally she called my mom.
It happened really quickly. The first to show up was (your probably thinking the mom, right?) no, the cops showed up first. He asked me tons and tons of questions (or so that’s what it seemed like to me) then my mom showed up, still in her sleeping outfit. There was no time for talking, they rushed me to the hospital and this was around 12am in the morning. They put me on medication and taking my blood, it was so exhausting and I didn't want to look at anyone I just kept my eyes close. The cop who had asked me question (simple questions) like; what did the rapist look like? Did he have any scars? How did his voice sound? Etc. After doing all those things, he told me that, he had found the guy (this was probably the word that made your heart jump, am I right?) But my heart raced and jumped, I never been scared my entire life, but I just wanted to go home where I was safe. One month passed and I tried to forget about what happened but I couldn’t, until my mom got a phone call and I was not there at the time when she got the call. The day after the call I came back, and this is what really hit my badly the word COURT slapped so hard on my chest, I felt like I could not breath nor talk. My mom said something to help me get through this.
Mom: if you don’t go to court and put that guy behind bars in jail or prison for the crime he has committed, he will hurt another girl your age or even younger or older. Your words may help those who couldn’t say anything.
After thinking about what she had said, that pounded in the back of my head, thinking and thinking about it over and over again like a washer machine. I have finally got enough courage to get out of bed and head straight to the court room. Though we had to travel quite a ways to get there, that also made enough time to think about what I had to say. But the only thing, I was thinking of was getting on that seat talk in the microphone in front of people (because it was an open court; meaning that anyone can come).
I had no idea, that being in court with people would be so hard. I had to tell the judge (a man judge, but I’d wish it was a women) every single detail, and I mean detail. Not only that I had to talk, people from the hospital came on and showed pictures of the evidence of rape. I choked on most of my words, I cried, I was so nervous that I had to take breaks every hour that my palms get wet. But after a long day in court about 5 hours long, the Judge made his decision. That man went to prison! And I was thinking to myself and being all joy and wonder, I’m safe. I didn’t know that I could really do this, with the support and help from family and friends, and people who showed rap evidence.
After, 4 months had gone by. I’ve never thought about that day and the long hardships I went through. And I’m happy that I went through this for me, and not only for me, but for other young women and ladies, that no matter how hard it is to get on that court seat that you’re not alone on this, there are family and friends who are willing to support you and go the distance with you. I’m not afraid to tell young women and ladies, That I Too Was Raped, and It Sure Doesn’t Mean That You’re Not Alone on This.
Comment by achtung

You are too brave. :)
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:28:04 PM

WOW- thank you for sharing that, and hopefully it will encourage others to be as brave as you.
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:31:39 PM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:49:09 PM
Comment by LauraJayne

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry that you had to go through the experience; your strength can (and has, I'm sure) helped others!
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:03:46 PM
Comment by kinzie52

honestly, wow.
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 4:04:08 AM
Comment by xxZoey619xx

I'm completely speechless. We need more people out there to tell things that other people think aren't as important (depression, raped, suicide etc) to SPREAD THE WORD! <3 This story really touched me. Thank You ^_^

-Mariah

*Please read my story about Depression. I'm trying to get my voice heard too.*
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:27:33 PM
Comment by YellowMelon ;)

please excuse me as i pick my jaw up off the floor.....! truly incredible.
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:45:05 AM
Comment by privytrifles

You are truly brave !!!

Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:15:08 AM
Comment by nellyfloyd

I'm speechless... What an inspiration you are.
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 3:00:37 AM