Media: The Ugly Truth

smartwriter
“Yes or No? Anxiously, I tried to convince myself not to, but I just couldn’t find the will to stand up to it. When the decision was made, I hurried up the stairs to the bathroom and locked the door behind me. Quickly, I glanced in the mirror; unsatisfied. I grab my tooth brush and squat down facing the toilet. I keep thinking to my self, “Why did I do this, I can stop right now,” but I push the thoughts away. There was no way I was going to let my body absorb those calories.”
This is a reoccurring episode I am faced to live with everyday. My story began in the middle of eight grade; I noticed I no longer fit into my favorite pair of jeans that I had seen a Rock & Republic model wearing in a fashion magazine. Sitting in my closet, I swore I would shed the weight and fit into my jeans again. Losing five pounds was easy, but quickly I decided it wouldn’t hurt to lose a little more weight. Almost instantly, losing weight became an obsession. When social drama became overwhelming or my athletics weren’t going well I had the choice to not eat or to purge. It felt like the one thing I could constantly control. Here’s the thing about eating disorders, you think you are controlling it, but it is constantly controlling you.
Living with an eating disorder is like living with the devil on your shoulder. He whispers in your ear and constantly nags at you. Being skinny is not the key to happiness as the media tries to persuade us. Having the ability to embrace your true inner beauty is what allows a person to live a blissful life. Figuring this out took months of therapy and hundreds of dollars towards a nutritionist. Eating disorders are addictions, and by the time I grasped the thought of what I was doing to my body I was already addicted.
For example, during the early nineteen-hundreds no one knew cigarettes could kill you, but by the time doctors learned they are indeed harmful the majority of the population was not willing or able to change their ways to potentially improve their health. Eating disorders are the cigarettes of the upcoming generations, and I personally believe the media largely contributes to this fact. Magazines are filled with pictures of unhealthy models with air brushed skin; a unrealistic portrayal of the human body.
The media has absolutely corrupted our societies self esteem in a negative manner over the past thirty plus years. American magazines especially have ostracized the idea of embracing the natural women’s body. Sexy is no longer defined by curves, but by the ability to have distinguishable rib bones. This media influence to be beautiful by being exceptionally skinny has allowed eating disorders, which were merely unheard of a decade ago, to become common in our society. This I know because I am a victim of an eating disorder myself; I am an anorexic-bulimic.

Comment by ciaobella14

It sounds like you've been going through so much. A friend in my youth group has been struggling with the same problem, but with support from friends and family she's doing better than before. I hope you're able to overcome this hurdle soon, I can't imagine what you've had to go through.
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:41:04 AM