One Stressor I Could Do Without

mcoly618
“Money: Cash. Coin. Greenbacks. Pesos. Gravy. Deniro. KaChing. Moola,” something that I do not possess much of. As a full time college student, I also find time to work two jobs. I live in an apartment with my boyfriend, splitting the rent and other utilities bills. I have a cell phone payment, credit card payment, school fees, car insurance, health insurance, and other everyday expenses like gas and groceries Recently, I also paid my last payment for my braces, which was a fourteen-month payment plan (four thousand dollars total). After all is said and done, there isn’t much money (if any) left to do fun outings or go shopping in my world.

I always make it a point to know how much money I have and pinch pennies in every way. As a child, my parents encouraged me to save cut costs any way possible and to not “blow” money. Although, my parents didn’t give me money often and I never had a weekly allowance, I always had the importance of money stressed to me. Throughout my teen years, I worked 5 days a week at an after school/weekend job. I managed to save enough money to buy my first vehicle and put myself through my first year of college. Since that point, it has been very difficult to save and I have become accustom to living paycheck to paycheck.

Whenever I am able to put money back for savings, it usually ends up being used to pay sudden payments, like when my laptop crashed and I had to buy a new one, last summer. However, with the New Year approaching and my graduation from college in May 2011, I have made one of my goals to save as much money as possible for a security deposit on a new apartment and possibly a new vehicle. I have until August to make this dream a reality.

Although money is tight, I still find ways to spend time with friends without spending money. We often have dinner and movies nights at our place. Friends bring a side dish or dessert, while I supply the main course. We choose from movies we have or rent for a dollar from Red Box. I don’t go out on weekends as much as I would like, but it’s all part of the sacrifice. Over my twenty-one years, I have realized that the majority of the time anything money related usually results in sacrifice. I would rather have all my bills paid and be setting myself up for a great future, then spend money I do not have and be in debt later.

Even though times are tough and money is scarce, there are many other things that are more important than money. Those are the things, in life, I am more concerned about any way. I have plenty of years to work my life away, scrimp and scrounge, and worry about bills. For now, I would much rather enjoy my last semester of college: spend time with my friends, and then, if there is time, pinch a few pennies.