Snowy Roads

4thandLife
I’ve been driving for quite a while now. And while it was something I didn’t want to start doing, I’m clearly glad that I did. I live in New England and for those of you who don’t know, we get snow. A LOT. Now, I love snow. It’s beautiful, and it provides a lot of activities I wouldn’t otherwise be able to do: skiing, cross-country skiing, building snowmen, feet snow-angels, sledding and more. And driving in the snow is something I’ve done forever. Or at least experienced forever. As a kid, we would drive through anything to get to the mountains (and by we, I actually mean my father, as my mother and I were reading or sleeping). And in high school, if I needed to get somewhere, I would take my mother’s trusty SUV and I’d get there. Or, dad would drive. If I got stranded, I’d call dad. Like the time I got caught near the mall during Christmas season. Or the time I got in an accident a block away from high school. My father is not a “car person” but he still knows a whole lot more than me. In college, I’d still call my father, but in the short-term I’d call my friends who were a building away. But if it was snowing, we could get anywhere we needed by walking. Except the time that my tire blew on the side of the highway on my way to work. And I called my bosses, and they picked me up and lent me their car.

But now. Now I’m On my Own. And having a car and driving is a requirement for work. The family I work for lives on a hill. We walk Boy Genius to school, but Girl Genius isn’t old enough for that school yet. Boy Genius was slow this morning anyways, so we were late starting. But it took 30 minutes to get up their road. This is probably a 30 second (if not less) drive. This length of drive has already happened to me once this winter. On snowy days, I park facing up the hill so that I can use my lower gears from the get-go. And that’s the thing about driving with a four year old, there’s no one to push your car when it gets stuck. And you can’t get mad and yell things at your car, even if they are “nice words.” You have to act as though it’s all completely normal. And I was going back and forth and up and down the road. But then a man appears walking his dog! And so I’m saved, he will push me! Or so I thought/hoped. I guess I attribute good characteristics to all, even when there is nothing telling me to do so. He stops and looks at me. And then walks more down the road. And then stops and watches me again. And then he turns around and walks somewhere without ever seeing if there is anything he can do. My hope bubble is a little bit smaller. All I want to do is put my car in park, call my father and wait for him to come rescue me. And as I’m considering this, another neighbor drives down the road. And out of all the neighbors, it’s the neighbor (in my opinion) least likely to help me. She stops her car as I’m sliding more and more perpendicular to the road. She gets out of her car, waves to Girl Genius and offers to shovel tire tracks for me. I think we both thought that she would shovel a bit and then my car would continue. But half the road later, she stopped shoveling and pushed me. And pushed, and pushed, and pushed. I felt helpless. But thankful. I was able to get unstuck. It wouldn’t have happened by myself, but I made it. And I didn’t scream or yell. Or call daddy.