The Secret of Happiness: Take Charge of Your Fears (and Do Some Yoga)

nredmond
I am a nervous person. I worry about car crashes and spiders and guns and death and the weird way my voice sounds when I talk on the phone.

Some of my fears are unavoidable: after all, I can't control how many spiders take up residence in the garden where I also like to sit. And some of my fears are totally avoidable: I may balk at the thought of skydiving, but luckily, no one has yet tried to push me out of a plane.

However, for all of my worries (founded or not), I have discovered that pursuing happiness is nevertheless possible. The trick lies, for me, in getting cozy with the monster under my bed.

Happiness in the face of fear comes from deciding on a course of action and holding strong, even though a chance remains that A Bad Thing Might Still Happen. I have no power over fate and little influence over the choices of others. But I do have total control over how I act, react, and interpret life. Indeed, we all have opportunities to breed the peace we'd like to find within ourselves.

Practicing yoga has also helped me with this cultivation. From the exuberant morning-burst of jai namaste to the death-like ending in savasana, yogis are called to participate in all the ebbs and flows of life. Yoga teaches practitioners to engage even while in difficult postures and, most importantly, yoga encourages us to take charge of our own well being.

Happiness takes focus and effort; it is an internal attitude that has to be chosen moment-to-moment, day-by-day, in the face of whatever problems or people may be currently scaring us. On some days, this task may be difficult to manage, but it is always our task for the doing.

The secret to happiness does not involve finding an end to our sadness or fears or struggles, but it does involve facing these challenges head on with bravery and persistence.

On behalf of the entire Stageoflife editorial board, I would like to congratulate you on being selected as our Adult Essay winner for the the April / May Secret of Happiness essay contest. We do apologize for the long delay in notifying you, but we have been evolving Stageoflife.com over the past few months.

Sadly, this will be our last ever writing contest, but the good news is that you are our last ever adult essay contest winner!

Congratulations.

We will be contacting you via your registration email with details.

Best,
Rebecca A. Thiegs
Stageoflife.com Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:08:52 PM