The Secret of Happiness: A Life with Many Loved Ones

ehanley
Happiness comes from many different things from many different people. In my life and from what I have experienced, the secret to happiness is a life filled with many loved ones. My family has been through some really hard times in the past year but with the love and support of each other, we always make it.
My family is the most important thing to me, above school and even athletics. In my life, my family has always been very supportive of me and their support always helped me along in my mere sixteen years of life. Seeing the people i love the most hurt, hurts me. Too many members of my family are ill and it is depressing everyone. With all of this going on it is hard to think of the better times than to dwell on the bad times, but it is a necessity.
When I was a little kid I used to think my grandma was mean and weird. It sounds horrible to say but now I realize that that was just her sense of humor. When I was younger she was kind of like the ‘other’ grandma. Like the one you never really see because she lives further and when you do it’s awkward so you just let your parents talk with her and you just sit there quietly, and really bored. That’s kinda how my visits with her went until this one time when my parents had to go to a funeral for my Great Uncle Charlie. I don’t really remember much of him but he was a very sweet man. He gave my sisters and I two pure gold coins that he said would be worth a lot in many years. Anyway, my parents had to go to his funeral and my Nanny couldn't watch us because she was going too-they were very close, my Nanny and Great Uncle Charlie. With everyone going to his funeral in Maine, my sisters and I had to stay with my Grandma for the night. Everything was fine for a few hours, we were watching the Mets game on her little TV in the backroom when we started to hear squeaking. I had no idea what it was and neither did my older sister, Amanda, so we just kind of let it go. Not my grandma though. She told us to go outside and see what the squeaking was. Keep in mind, I was about six years old, making my sister, Amanda, eight years old. Anyway, my sister and I go outside and see these little, baby mice in a little huddle next to my grandma’s basement window. When we told my grandma what we saw, she told us to get the brooms next to her stairs in her backyard and to kill the mice. I’m thinking, kill the mice? What is she talking about, I can’t kill these cute little mice. That’s when Amanda grabs the broom and starts to kill the mice, I was only six, so what did I know? Apparently nothing, so I grabbed the broom and began to kill the mice. Let’s just say the story I told my parents after that was not missing a single detail of what went down in that backyard. This “event” really opened me up to my grandma in a weird way. We would talk at the family parties, and the occasional visit. We became good friends and I would always sit next to her at the family parties and she would tell me her stories from when she lived in Ireland. There’s one I remember perfectly and everyone in my family famously remembers it as “The Diver Story,” and it goes like this; When my grandma lived in Ireland, she lived on a farm. This farm had many animals and each one had a job. For example, they had this one dog named Diver and his job was to round up the cattle and he was also used as a hunting dog however, he was getting old. In the 1930’s there was no “humane” way to put a dog down to die, so instead my great grandfather decided to tie him up in a bag with rocks and throw him in the Shannon river by the farm. This dog Diver broke through the bag and soaking wet, found his way home. Whenever my grandma told this story she would laugh at our reactions to what they did to this poor dog. Another funny story she told us was when she was younger her and her brothers had to walk to the schoolhouse that was a few blocks away. On their walk they always passed a small pond that had some fish and a lot of frogs in it. My great uncles, which were her brothers, would cut off the heads of the frogs and blow into their stomachs. Then they would set them on a lily pad and wait for them to blow up. By the end of this story my grandma would be holding her stomach as she shook with her silent laughter. Listening to her old stories wasn't the only thing we used to do together, though. During the summer, my dad would take my sisters and I to my grandma's house on the days that he was off from work. When we would go to visit her, we would sit and talk for a little while around her dining room table until she declared she was hungry and wanted pizza. When she was up for it we would walk around the corner to her favorite pizzeria, if not my dad would drive us. Sometimes she would take us next door first so she could get her haircut, then we would walk together to the pizzeria and she would treat us to a pie. When we would walk in the employees at the pizzeria all knew her so they would say their hellos and ask if she wanted the usual. She then would proudly reply “no, my family is here and we would like one regular pie.”
She was very proud of her family and friends. Her sarcasm and laughter would light up any room. Now that she has recently passed away it is hard not to miss her, but knowing she is with the love of her life it puts my heart at ease. It was her time she said and she has been waiting to see my grandpa for twenty-four years. I'm going to miss her cute Irish brogue but I know she is in a better place. All I want for her now is for her to be happy in heaven and to tell my grandpa all about me.